Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I would almost think that's no longer the case. I know the iPhone has developed into one of the core products in the portfolio, but I have noticed that even here on Macrumors - when it comes to news concerning macbooks and iMacs there is very little news in comparison to many other products such as the iPhone ans iWatch.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yes of course they are

I would almost think that's no longer the case. I know the iPhone has developed into one of the core products in the portfolio, but I have noticed that even here on Macrumors - when it comes to news concerning macbooks and iMacs there is very little news in comparison to many other products such as the iPhone ans iWatch.

Phones and pads are the money spinners at the moment but as market saturation starts to happen they'll be relying on the computers as much as anything else. The integration between devices is a big part of the apple vision and computers are very much part of that. People love their phones and pads enough to give macs a try and they have much better sales and profit figures than almost all PC makers at the moment...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, not for years, it was 8 years ago that they dropped Computer from their official name, i.e., now just Apple and not Apple Computer.

Macs are an important segment in their line up, but clearly the driving force for the revenue and focus has been iOS devices.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How do you define computers? Are iPhones and iPads not computers?

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
as long as the iOS dev tools are Mac only, they're going to need to keep supporting the computer side of the business. I reckon if they ever produce a Windows dev environment for iOS, the writing will be on the wall for the OSX range.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
as long as the iOS dev tools are Mac only, they're going to need to keep supporting the computer side of the business. I reckon if they ever produce a Windows dev environment for iOS, the writing will be on the wall for the OSX range.

Yes, I was thinking this as well.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The OP started the thread in the MBP forum and it was moved to this forum, so the OP was meaning Macs.

I'd take Rogifan's statement as rhetorical, a la, "If you prick us, do we not bleed?" If you program them, do they not compute?

Sure, if by "computer" one means, "PC," then computers have become a sideline product at Apple.

From my perspective, the genius of the smart phone is that it has repackaged the personal computer into a far more personal and universally acceptable form. It has eliminated dedicated devices like pocket calculators, pagers, cameras, iPods/MP3 players, and dumb phones, and replaced them with a single, general purpose computing device.

If anything, Apple hasn't abandoned its roots with the iPhone, it's returned to them following the detour into consumer electronics called "iPod" - a device dedicated, like transistor radios and the Walkman, to a narrow range of tasks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd take Rogifan's statement as rhetorical,
I realize but the OP was asking about Macs being core to Apple's business, and the thread was started in the MBP forums. We can split hairs and say the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch are all computers because they contain CPUs and I'l not argue that but its not what I believe the OP intended.

Apple's focus has been on business segment other then the Mac line because I believe the desktop/laptops are not a growth industry, at least like it was. Mobile computer has taken off, i.e., iPhone and iPad. Apple has a better revenue stream with the iPhone. They make money on the sale of the phone and get a piece of action of any apps sold. So of course they want to focus on the segment that provides the most stable income and has the greats odds of continued growth.

That doesn't mean they'll abandon the Mac line but its not their primary focus.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Of course it's a core business for Apple. You may not like the direction they've taken but they gobble up the lion's share of laptop profits and their Mac business on its own would be a Fortune 500 company.

As for what MacRumors publishes, I fail to see any connection to whether of not Macs are still a core business for Apple.

kdarling

macrumors P6
If it helps...

apple_revenue_products.png

(1Q 2014 Chart from TUAW, using Apple earnings report. Note that this is sales revenue, not profit.)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

iPads and iPhones are PCs.
I think Apple will for the forseeable always have it's Macs as part of it's business model. The Mac business on it's own is still a fortune 500 company. But Apple, no longer being Apple Computer showed that it's core business will be whatever the current market is in need of. Apple wants to diversify. And it is now.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The bulk profits do not come from Macs anymore.

Estimates are that Apple makes more profits from selling computers than all other computer manufacturers combined. So yes, selling computers is a core business of Apple. If you check statistics that is being released all the times, that part of their business is growing year after year after year.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Estimates are that Apple makes more profits from selling computers than all other computer manufacturers combined. So yes, selling computers is a core business of Apple. If you check statistics that is being released all the times, that part of their business is growing year after year after year.

Well said. And Apple keep their Mac business alive in part because they know the iPhone boom will not last forever.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

If selling Macs was still Apple's core business the MP wouldn't have sat in the corner gathering dust for years on end. ;)

Apple's core businesses is making great products, not making a specific product. Desktops used to be their main source of revenue and now it's 11% of their revenue. The iPod was a runaway success savior halo product and now it's dead. Killed by the most recent king of the Apple hill, the iPhone. The iPad eats into Mac laptop sales but that doesn't bother Apple because the real growth is in mobile devices, not mobile computers (let alone desktop computers).

We used to need a Mac to be the hub of your digital lifestyle but now the hub has moved to the cloud. Apple has no fear of cannibalizing its own products to move the company forward.

Well said. And Apple keep their Mac business alive in part because they know the iPhone boom will not last forever.

When the iPhone boom ends, it certainly won't be desktops and laptops that make a raging comeback to fill that growth void. They need the iPad to do better and the Watch to be the next big thing.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011

Yes, they are, but they are related to Macs in the way that a capon is related to a rooster.

I guess, from a business perspective, it's not really a surprise--even now, when Mac sales aren't that bad, it's still not more than a tiny fraction of desktop pc use. With the iphone, ipod, and ipad they were able to reach markets not already saturated. But if you are a longtime mac user, it is hard to avoid the feeling of being left behind, especially after supporting the company in the lean years.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Not only are the iPhone, iPad and Watch computers, but they are all massively more powerful and capable computing devices than many of the Mac's that I've owned. An iPhone 6 is not only more than a thousand times faster than a Mac Plus, but can do heavy number crunching faster than a Cray 1.

It's the direction that the computer industry is heading. Mainframes and minicomputers are no longer the most common computer that most people see or use anymore (as they once were). The same has already happened to desktop PCs, and is now happening to traditional looking laptops. Apple is leading that wave.

Software and chip design are the key components of being a computer company these days, and it appears that Apple is still a leading, if not the leading developer of consumer-facing software, sharing tons of technologies between OS X and iOS, as well as giving Intel and AMD competition in the space for low-power computer chips.

So, yes, it's still their core business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.