Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I don't know why this failed but I was wondering is it dead everywhere?
I am on an ISP that uses Wimax and it works great for me with a very stable connection and decent speed.

Should I expect my ISP to cancel the service soon or what? Are there other places around the world that still use this technology?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
The shortest answer is.. carriers opted to go for LTE over WiMax because it was easier and cheaper to integrate.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I don't know why this failed but I was wondering is it dead everywhere?
I am on an ISP that uses Wimax and it works great for me with a very stable connection and decent speed.

Should I expect my ISP to cancel the service soon or what? Are there other places around the world that still use this technology?

In Malaysia, private ISPs like P1 and YTL still offer WiMax, but customers have always complained about slow, unstable and intermittent service.

The average internet speed in Malaysia is still around 1-2 Mbps.

In urban areas, LTE and fibre optic is the norm already. LTE average speeds in KL are around 40-50 Mbps, and fibre optic is around ~10 or so (still pathetic IMO).

I used to be based there before I returned to Melbourne, Australia.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
The shortest answer is.. carriers opted to go for LTE over WiMax because it was easier and cheaper to integrate.

So do you think ISPs that offer them will just disconnect their users and force them to use LTE or they will just keep them around because there is no extra cost.

I know you are probably think why I stick to Wiimax over LTE, its because on Wiimax I got unlimited bandwidth usage if I change my plan to LTE I will get 140GB max/month :( Its brutal I know but these are my options

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So do you think ISPs that offer them will just disconnect their users and force them to use LTE or they will just keep them around because there is no extra cost.

I know you are probably think why I stick to Wiimax over LTE, its because on Wiimax I got unlimited bandwidth usage if I change my plan to LTE I will get 140GB max/month :( Its brutal I know but these are my options

There is a cost. They have to maintain WiMax networks and equipment, and it's using valuable spectrum that could be used to improve their LTE service. But only your ISP knows if they're ever going to move WiMax users to LTE.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
There is a cost. They have to maintain WiMax networks and equipment, and it's using valuable spectrum that could be used to improve their LTE service. But only your ISP knows if they're ever going to move WiMax users to LTE.

OP, what yg17 says is sound advice.

Since you get unlimited bandwidth.. why not just stay with your ISP until they decide to cancel WiMax? When that time comes, they may offer a nice package for existing WiMax customers to switch.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
OP, what yg17 says is sound advice.

Since you get unlimited bandwidth.. why not just stay with your ISP until they decide to cancel WiMax? When that time comes, they may offer a nice package for existing WiMax customers to switch.

Thats what I am planning to do. My ISP was revolutionary back in 2008, it had 4mbps, 4x what was offered by everyone else through Wimax. Now they only offer LTE for new subscribers and I am guessing everyone on Wimax already upgraded to the faster and higher bandwidth LTE plans.

I am in the very small percentage who might have been lucky to notice the unlimited deal(which was offered for a limited time) and subscribed for it.

I really feel like there is no one still on Wimax except for me and the people who really don't know they can get faster internet for same or less price .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.