Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Mostly using my computer for music production and some video work. Would really like to up my SSD to 2 TB ant the same or better performance than the current 1TB SSD. Any options?

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
but the OWC 2.0 TB SSD is much slower than the 1.0 TB from Apple/SAMSUNG ->
http://barefeats.com/hard197.html

"The benchmark results above obviously show that the Aura SSD for Mac Pro is not as fast as the factory flash storage (except when it comes to small random reads). Yet when it comes to real world pro apps like DaVinci Resolve, exporting and playback functions we tried produced the same elapsed times as the factory flash blade. That's because those functions are CPU and/or GPU bound."

In many practical uses, it's not a huge difference. You're already still getting far faster speeds than conventional SSDs or mSATAs.

For he cost I'd say an external option makes more sense, but I wouldn't swear someone off the internal just because of those benchmarks.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Compared to the new SM951, those 2TB drives are running at half speed.

As soon as they become more widely available it is going to be a hard sell to pay that much for slow speed.

24frames24bits

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
very happy with 2 TB upgrade

I have one, for a couple of months now, very satisfied with the 2 TB, replaced the 256 GB that came with the unit, and I have also been able to re-purpose that drive with the included accessory enclosure.

Yes, on speed tests it is slower, such as the Blackmagic, but in real life, it is about the same for video processing, image processing, etc. I also upgraded to 64 GB RAM from OWC and between the two, have great performance.

I am very satisfied with the value of the purchase. By the time it makes a difference, will need the next model MBP 2016.

peterdd

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2015
quality of OWC nMP SSD upgrades

Has anyone had any problems with the the OWC nMP (late 2013) internal SSD upgrades?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Compared to the new SM951, those 2TB drives are running at half speed.

As soon as they become more widely available it is going to be a hard sell to pay that much for slow speed.

Are you planning on selling SM951s for the nMPs?

Stairway

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
Has anyone had any problems with the the OWC nMP (late 2013) internal SSD upgrades?
I had a problem with the 2TB Flash SSD; within the first few days, I could no longer boot up the machine. Going into Disk Utility via my Yosemite USB install stick, I found that the drive was messed up --- it showed up as two 480GB drives. Also keep in mind, that these drives are some kind of RAID; hence, you cannot use the OS X BootCamp utility to install Windows on it.

Anyway, OWC was very professional -- they paid for return shipping and refunded my money.

araine

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
Mostly using my computer for music production and some video work. Would really like to up my SSD to 2 TB ant the same or better performance than the current 1TB SSD. Any options?

I have this for my nMP - 2TB SSD. As a studio musician, I can personally vouch for it. It is pricey, but so much worth it. Not slightly as fast as the original APPLE SSD, but it still flies. Check out this:

DiskSpeedTest.png

It boots in 6 seconds. Loads Logic in 6 seconds also. I put all my regularly used heavy AU Instruments on the SSD: (BFD3 / Superior Drummer / Sable / Orchestral Strings / Native Instruments / East West).

Then all my not so speed-critical stuff (itunes, audio sample library/ archived Logic projects) on a huge external drive (have a Thunderbolt 4-bay External Casing hold 4x2TB standard 3.5 SATA HDD - just for storage)

Working with clients with the SSD is unbelievable. Zippy, quick, No messing around. It is pricey, but at $1479 it is less than 50c per 1GB. (i am in UK and use poudns by the way, so with tax it's a little more expensive). Don't settle now for halfway and opt for a lesser 512GB or 1TB. Save up a bit more for the 2TB as a long-term 5 year+ addition to your workstation.

But definitely worth it for Audio Production. I promise. You won't look back.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.