Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sakuryu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

For a while now I've been dealing with the problems of the Mac Book Pro. For college I was assigned and I am required to use this Mac Book Pro as my main computer (not that I could afford another one anyway). It's a Mid-2012 15" unibody retina I think? Anyway one thing I've noticed is that this machine doesn't like games. From Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 it runs fine for a bit then it's LAG-Fine-LAG-Fine-Lag-Fine, and it can be disrupting. It's not like it can't run the game, it's just like it's getting throttled or something. I recently updated the Mac Side because people were saying there were some updates that fix freezing like that. I've tried a couple of games and come up with weird results.

Dark Siders: Mid-Max-Runs pretty okay except in high stress situations

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings: Minimum settings HORRIBLE Can't hardly do anything really with the lag-fine thing.

Dying Light: (Yeah I know it was a long shot and it doesn't even get the min. specs) First time I ran it, horrible. I let Nvidia geForce Experience do the proper setting thing. It runs pretty good now. Lags a bit but not unplayable. Which is weird considering it's a 2015 game.

So what the heck is up and is there a way to make this thing handle games?
It can do cutscenes fine in full resolution and everything. When the game hits the running smooth part of the cycle it runs great. I've seen programs like ThrottleStop and Afterburner but I don't know the first thing about setting stuff like that up. Any help would be appreciated since I really like to play games. Heck I'm even in school for Game Art!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Your doing this on Windows 7 or 8 via Bootcamp?

Although I can't guarantee that this is a fix, and it does cost $49, try Tuneup Utilities 2014. Besides cleaning up your Windows side of things, it has a turbo mode that turns off a bunch of background stuff (you pick and choose). This might make some difference. Be advised that the company is transistoning to a new product called AVG PC Tuneup which does the same stuff but includes a 1 year subscription, instead of unlimited use with the 2014 product. I use it on my 2011 MBP using Windows 7 and am pleased with it.

Sakuryu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Windows 8.1 and I'll try the tune up but it seems to be a forced gpu throttle. When I was in dying light with msi afterburner it kept dropping from 272 to 67

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Windows 8.1 and I'll try the tune up but it seems to be a forced gpu throttle. When I was in dying light with msi afterburner it kept dropping from 272 to 67

Forced by what? What do the numbers represent, not fps? I'm not a technical expert regarding computers.

Sakuryu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
I'm not totally sure myself. Mhz I'd assume and forced by the computer I think for goes from normal to like 5.

Sakuryu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
There's a bunch of confusing conjecture involving throttlestop and msi afterburner that I don't understand

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Did you see this Macrumors thread from 2012?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1432352/

I also saw this one which you might want to ask Apple about.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2333625

Which reminds me my son has a Dell laptop, which he is having the same issue, when his laptop gets hot, games stall out. He thinks it's a thermal paste issue. I believe his laptop has two graphic cards, one dedicated and one integrated. He found a program (maybe Dell.) that allowed him to designate which card to use for a specific program/game. However this is not really a solution if you want to have decent graphics. He is currently deployed, so will have to wait until he gets back to the States to address the issue.

Why not take it in to an Apple Store and see what they say? Taking apart your laptop maybe more than you want to tackle and Apple's price might be reasonable.

Of note Xbox 360s also have the thermal paste issue and I had one repaired by MS for $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.