Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maugustine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Portland, OR
I recently began using a Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM external monitor with my 13" MacBook Air. It works great, there is just one issue/question I have.

The windows I use on the external monitor I have maximized, but when I put the system to sleep and wake it up again, the windows on the external monitor come back at a smaller size, and I have to maximize again.

Is this purely an issue of the monitors being different sizes and different resolutions? Is there a way to force the windows to maintain their maximized size upon waking from sleep mode?

I do mean maximized, not full-screen mode, just to be clear.

Thanks!

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I recently began using a Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM external monitor with my 13" MacBook Air. It works great, there is just one issue/question I have.

The windows I use on the external monitor I have maximized, but when I put the system to sleep and wake it up again, the windows on the external monitor come back at a smaller size, and I have to maximize again.

Is this purely an issue of the monitors being different sizes and different resolutions? Is there a way to force the windows to maintain their maximized size upon waking from sleep mode?

I do mean maximized, not full-screen mode, just to be clear.

Thanks!

I don't have any personal experience with this but OS X does seem to have pretty poor handling of changing screen resolutions. :(

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Never noticed this myself. I have been using my ancient Apple Cinema display (1920x1200) with a 2011 and now 2013 MBA. But I'm still on 10.8. So maybe it's an "improvement" in the new versions? :p Could it be an issue where the MBA doesn't detect the external screen initially on wakeup, and is trying to fit the windows to the internal screen perhaps?

There is another oddity with display sleep vs external display for me though. Sometimes the external monitor turns all white, or sometimes it shows a frozen version of what is on the screen at the point where it should go to sleep (while the built-in screen behaves properly). This is dependent on whether I have unplugged/replugged the external screen. A restart always fixes it.

Again, this might be a bug that was fixed in newer versions of MacOSX.

maugustine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Portland, OR
Yeah, I think it might not be detecting the external monitor until a second or two after it wakes up. The screen does flash a couple times before the extrenal monitor displays the image. I'm running Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.