Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mean & Green

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Hi guys,

I'll try an be brief, I'm all of a sudden having major syncing problems with iTunes and my iOS devices.

I've been using iTunes on OS X and iOS for a couple of years and never encountered this before...

Devices are iMac late 2014 model running Mervericks and latest version of iTunes.

2x 4th gen iPod touch 32 & 64 GB running iOS 6 latest version.

iPhone 5C running iOS 8 latest version.

iPad 3rd gen running iOS 8 latest version.

Today I updated a couple of playlists on my iMac with music I'd ripped from CD. I transferred these playlists to my iPods.

Upon trying to play the music on the iPods I found my 64GB iPod displayed "No music". The whole music library is empty on my 64GB iPod and only music purchased from iTunes is showing on my 32GB iPod. However with the iPods conected to my iMac the full music library of data is showing as being there on the device but some tracks are greyed out.

Thinking that it may be an iOS 6 compatibility issue I tried my iPhone and iPad with iOS 8 and they are intermittently syncing with the iMac, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. iTunes purchased music is the most likely to transfer with no problems. Music I've ripped is more unstable.

Until today I've never had a problem like this. I updated my Mac to the latest version of iTunes recently and didn't notice any problems at first, I did a full sync with one of the iPods recently with no problems.

Anyone experinced this or know what may be causing the problem?

Thanks for any input :)

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Often the best, easiest and quickest way to fix weird syncing issues with iTunes is to erase and restore your device. You're very lucky never to have had problems before, I have lost count how many times mine has screwed up over the years. The bottom line is iTunes syncing is incredibly flakey for a large minority of people.

Mean & Green

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
I did restore/reset one of my iOS devices, but it didn't seem to make any difference to the problem.

I've managed to re sync my iPods, it seems that ejecting them from iTunes is what is triggering the problem. If I eject the device it seems to wipe itself, yet if I just unplug the USB without ejecting first all is fine.

Strange, but it's all working for now. I've been pulling my hair out for hours today!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.