Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Long story short I bought myself and my wife a new iPhone 6+ xmas week and then a month later we had to change networks. I cancelled my contract and paid the ATT early termination fee and got them unlocked so they would be easier to sell for max money. Sure would be nice if we could have used them on Verizon. Ugh, had to buy 2 new Verizon ones. So now I need to get rid of my 2 unlocked units.

After searching around it seems like there are so many sites popping up to buy/sell phones but not sure what is the best/most legit/most profit/etc. I'm leary to use Craigslist after hearing meet up horror stories and hesitant to use eBay after reading all the buyer fraud claiming you didn't send a working phone, etc, and then getting their money back leaving you with nothing but a broken phone.

I talked to a friend who locally just invested in a few of the screen replacement stores and said that many of the sites (i.e., Gazelle and the such) will frequently send you less than is fair claiming it is not in the condition you stated. His company offered to buy them but in my opinion, it was waaaaaaaaay low.

Any suggestions? Tips? etc?

TIA!

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
You could have used them on Verizon...but you would had to already have active Verizon service..and could have simply swapped the SIM cards.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Swappa!

I buy and sell on there all the time. I actually bought a 6 Plus last month off there. Just sold my HTC M8, Moto X, and iPhone 5 all this year. iPhone 5 sold yesterday in two hours, same with the M8. Though my Moto X took a couple weeks. All depends on the audience and price point.

For reference, I payed $730 for my 6 Plus (VZW unlocked, 64GB, box and mint condition). So you should be able to get a good amount for it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Long story short I bought myself and my wife a new iPhone 6+ xmas week and then a month later we had to change networks. I cancelled my contract and paid the ATT early termination fee and got them unlocked so they would be easier to sell for max money. Sure would be nice if we could have used them on Verizon. Ugh, had to buy 2 new Verizon ones. So now I need to get rid of my 2 unlocked units.

After searching around it seems like there are so many sites popping up to buy/sell phones but not sure what is the best/most legit/most profit/etc. I'm leary to use Craigslist after hearing meet up horror stories and hesitant to use eBay after reading all the buyer fraud claiming you didn't send a working phone, etc, and then getting their money back leaving you with nothing but a broken phone.

I talked to a friend who locally just invested in a few of the screen replacement stores and said that many of the sites (i.e., Gazelle and the such) will frequently send you less than is fair claiming it is not in the condition you stated. His company offered to buy them but in my opinion, it was waaaaaaaaay low.

Any suggestions? Tips? etc?

TIA!

I would try Craigslist, or the Marketplace here on macrumors.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I always sell on Craigslist. Meet in a Starbucks or book store. I've never had a problem.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
I'm interested in buying an unlocked iphone 6+.

Private Message me and we will talk.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
You could have used them on Verizon...but you would had to already have active Verizon service..and could have simply swapped the SIM cards.

GSM phones work on Verizon???

----------

Swappa!

I buy and sell on there all the time. I actually bought a 6 Plus last month off there. Just sold my HTC M8, Moto X, and iPhone 5 all this year. iPhone 5 sold yesterday in two hours, same with the M8. Though my Moto X took a couple weeks. All depends on the audience and price point.

For reference, I payed $730 for my 6 Plus (VZW unlocked, 64GB, box and mint condition). So you should be able to get a good amount for it.

Thanks, I'll give it a look. I have a 64 and 128 so that's a good data point, thank you.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Swappa.com, I can definitely recommend!

Sold my 5S on there last fall. Got nearly $500 bucks for it (16gb 5S) after it was a year old, was in mint condition however.

Anyways, it's easy and pretty much free except I believe there is a flat 5$ or 10$ charge for the service (cant remember), but you ONLY pay that if you sell your phone. If you dont sell it, you can just end the sale and pay nothing. Ebay has fees involved and you usually lose a big chunk. Losing 5-10$ is nothing. Swappa is the go-to.

DONT USE GAZELLE. You get ripped off so hard.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

Thanks, I'll give it a look. I have a 64 and 128 so that's a good data point, thank you.
As I recall, iPhone 6/6+ for AT&T or T-Mobile are basically the same model as for Verizon. If you can get an active Verizon SIM card you can use to activate an AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone 6/6+.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011

Yes. The iPhone 6 Plus works with both.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...h-best-in-class-lte-and-wireless-connectivity

Apple’s iPhone 6 (Models A1549 and A1586) and iPhone 6 Plus (Models A1522 and A1524) both support four-band GSM, five-band CDMA2000, five-band UMTS (with HSPA+42 support), and sixteen LTE FDD bands (with support for up to 150Mbps of download speeds). The quad-band GSM and pent-band UMTS provide complete global coverage for GSM and UMTS/HSPA+ networks all over the world. The five CDMA2000 bands enable coverage on all CDMA carriers in the US (who use ESMR, Cellular 850MHz, AWS 1.7+2.1 GHz, and PCS 1.9GHz for CDMA), as well as KDDI in Japan (who use Cellular 850MHz and IMT 2.1GHz for CDMA) and China Telecom in China (who use Cellular 850MHz for CDMA). These bands are the same as the American Sprint model for the iPhone 5S and 5C.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Thanks all for the input. I wish I would have looked into the cross platform compatibility more in depth prior as all the reading I came across was that an ATT phone would not work on Verizon and vice versa. In turn I ended up buying to exact replacements. In the end it will probably be a wash price wise so not a big deal.

I'm working on getting them listed on Swappa. Thanks for that lead!!!

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Quick question....if the iPhone 6 and Plus have both GSM and CDMA compatibility then why would you have to specify ATT or Verizon when buying?

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Swappa!

With all the new smartphones I buy, SWAPPA has been my choice for selling once I'm done with them. Eight smooth transactions in the last year. All trouble free I'm very happy with their service.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Because Att model is locked to Att before you got it unlocked.
Ah, that makes sense. So if you buy the unlocked unit from Apple, you can take to Verizon or ATT regardless?

With all the new smartphones I buy, SWAPPA has been my choice for selling once I'm done with them. Eight smooth transactions in the last year. All trouble free I'm very happy with their service.

So far so good. 1st of the 2 phones sold already!

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Swappa is really easy, Craigslist a close second. Craigslist might be sort of iffy depending on where you live.

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
I like Swappa. I had only one bad experience with Swappa where a buyer decided to return the iphone after a month of use because of a BS reason cosmetic reason. Ended up selling it again for the same price.

I need to put a couple of AT&T iPhone 6's on there this week!

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I like Swappa. I had only one bad experience with Swappa where a buyer decided to return the iphone after a month of use because of a BS reason cosmetic reason. Ended up selling it again for the same price.

You should have said no returns in your ad settings. Thats what I did. I do not trust selling my phone like that and allowing returns, hell no. Although, it goes both ways, buying a phone with no returns seems shady too and might decrease your chances of selling, but I didn't offer returns and sold my phone within probably a week or less and for a pretty good amount of money!

Swappa is legit because you have to prove that the phone your selling is the actual phone your selling, with pictures, the serial #s, etc. I took a bunch of pics from a bunch of different angles of my 5S and sold that thing quick, it was mint too. Only thing I didnt like is the buyer didnt rate me or even really mark the transaction as being completed. But I got what I needed.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC

I just made sure to put that I do not accept returns unless I misrepresent the phone (which I haven't). I know it is 100% perfect and will have taken many pictures as well as a video showing it as described in addition to the boxing up of the phone.

AreanFSL

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
I just made sure to put that I do not accept returns unless I misrepresent the phone (which I haven't). I know it is 100% perfect and will have taken many pictures as well as a video showing it as described in addition to the boxing up of the phone.

I made sure to put no returns on the listing. That doesn't work every time. The buyer filed a claim with paypal and pp sided with him. I refunded the money and got the phone back.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I made sure to put no returns on the listing. That doesn't work every time. The buyer filed a claim with paypal and pp sided with him. I refunded the money and got the phone back.

Ridiculous. You should have gotten Swappa involved, they probably would have assisted you in proving that the listing clearly said NO RETURNS. No returns means no returns man, and I'm sure there is a legal agreement (those things that no one reads) that you agree to on Swappa that protects people who don't accept returns. I hate when people get away with that stuff, stick up for yourself in situations like that. I'm sure you could've done something.

Why would Swappa offer a returns or no returns option, and then allow someone return a phone that you clearly listed as no returns accepted? Makes no sense. Unless you know that you forgot to disclose that there was damage, and took the phone back because you felt bad and should have disclosed it?

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC

Sorry that happen to you....Just not quite sure how that is acceptable though. And also not sure how Paypal can side with the buyer especially as you said a "BS cosmetic reason"??? I have taken a ton of photos and video to illustrate the condition and the boxing of the phone prior to shipping.

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
Sell your iphone 6 plus to buybackworld or gazelle if you don't want to sell it yourself on craigslist or ebay. Choose whoever pays more. I've used both companies and they do actually pay the full value of the quote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.