Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I was thinking of buying my elderly parents a mac. They are old, long time computer illiterate PC people.

Should I go for a...

Used intel iMac 24"
Mac Pro less than $500
Refurbished Mac Mini (if they ever come in stock)

I am leaning towards the iMac but a lot of used ones on Craigslist have broken logic boards and power supplies.

The last thing I want to do is to get them a computer that craps out and have them say "See, we told you PC's were better".

What would you do?

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Leaning towards iMac.

Camera for Skype or face time...
Less things to disconnect, etc.

Mac Pro overkill horsepower.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Leaning towards iMac.

Camera for Skype or face time...
Less things to disconnect, etc.

Mac Pro overkill horsepower.

I agree with the iMac, no monitor needed.

The OP likely meant MacBOOK Pro.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
He might have meant something like an old Mac Pro -- 1,1 or 2,1.

Then they could use whatever they've been using for monitor and KB and mouse.

I'd try to find an older iMac. I too have a broken 24" one. But there must be decent ones out there.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Lean towards the iMac. Gives them everything they will need and nothing to fuss over. Requires a minimum of space and a 24" is a nice screen size.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Just get them an iPad, it's easier to use, especially for anyone who is a technophobe. They can do video chats, email, browse, etc.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I was thinking of buying my elderly parents a mac. They are old, long time computer illiterate PC people.

Should I go for a...

Used intel iMac 24"
Mac Pro less than $500
Refurbished Mac Mini (if they ever come in stock)

I am leaning towards the iMac but a lot of used ones on Craigslist have broken logic boards and power supplies.

The last thing I want to do is to get them a computer that craps out and have them say "See, we told you PC's were better".

What would you do?

Computer illiterates are best served with an iPad unless they have a specific need to require a full on computer.

Alternatively, if they prefer PCs, why teach an old dog new tricks ?
Plenty of decent $500 NEW laptops even with touchscreens around.

However, if you're set on a Mac, sure the iMac is your best bet, but you'll probably have to up the budget to $700 to get a decent piece without PS or LB issues.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The base mac mini comes for $420 with the edu discount. Use the other $80 to buy an ssd and put it in. Enjoy :)

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I helped my older parents pick out a $500 24" iMac off ebay to replace their Dell and they love it. They love having the computer built into the monitor saving desk space, and how quiet it is compared to the dell that sounded like a jet engine taking off. They love typing on the Apple keyboard but the Apple mouse didn't go over well because the scroll ball was too small and hard to keep clean, so they went back to the dell mouse. Otherwise it's been great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.