Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Hi,
I was trying to find Lightroom on Adobe website, I thought it was 100-120 but all I can find is Lightroom Photoshop and it's 250.

Did they change the price and combine 2 softwares?

I am currently using Aperture, just tried Photos and I was disappointed so I thought I'd look at LR.

Let me know,
Thanks

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Thank you,
but I was looking to buy ;)
Couldn't find the link where it was at around 120.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
It's there, but at $149 US. On the adobe.com page click Menu, select the Lr icon, then What's new, and the standalone link will be at the bottom right.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Lightroom version 6 is reported to be launching soon...like within a week or so. so you may want to wait. I'm sure Adobe has some policy for a free upgrade if you purchase within a certain amount of time but I'd make sure of that before I went a bought one.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Lightroom version 6 is reported to be launching soon...like within a week or so. so you may want to wait. I'm sure Adobe has some policy for a free upgrade if you purchase within a certain amount of time but I'd make sure of that before I went a bought one.

I bought LR5 on Feb 18. Before I opened it, LR6 release rumors started. Adobe's policy on free upgrades for "version victims" is vague and seems more like a judgment call on their part. I did not want to risk that and returned it.

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
Amazon has it for a little cheaper than adobe (and if you're a student it's only 79 bucks on amazon). I personally do the subscription, it's only 9.99 a month for the complete creative suite. But if you want a hard physical copy, wait, as LR6 is supposedly out this month.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It's there, but at $149 US. On the adobe.com page click Menu, select the Lr icon, then What's new, and the standalone link will be at the bottom right.

The website is somewhat misleading with this. They hide the standalone purchase link very well and it only appears on certain pages. It really seems as if the software is only available in a subscription model. I think it's set up to make you sign up for a subscription before realising Lightroom is available as standalone. Sneaky.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The website is somewhat misleading with this. They hide the standalone purchase link very well and it only appears on certain pages.

Hide, is not a strong enough word, they down right bury it so most people don't even know it exists. Why bother even having a stand alone version if you're going to make it that difficult to buy.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Agreed. I am using Photoshop 6.5 and it was an expedition locating the standalone copy link.

Adobe earns more with subscription. Periodic users lose more with subscription.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Hide, is not a strong enough word, they down right bury it so most people don't even know it exists. Why bother even having a stand alone version if you're going to make it that difficult to buy.

There must be industry rules against this sort of practice. It's misleading customers to buy into a service that might not be right for them and hiding other purchase options. That can't be right.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
There must be industry rules against this sort of practice. It's misleading customers to buy into a service that might not be right for them and hiding other purchase options. That can't be right.

Capitalism = buyer beware. It's a good thing we have forums like this.

~ Peter

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Its their site, they have every right to organize it any way they see fit. I don't think we should increase our level of oversight to force companies to adhere to a preconceived design set up.

I think an educated consumer is the best approach and I found the link by way of google, and thus educated myself. Its Adobe's product and they can make it as hard to buy as they want too.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Its their site, they have every right to organize it any way they see fit. I don't think we should increase our level of oversight to force companies to adhere to a preconceived design set up.

I think an educated consumer is the best approach and I found the link by way of google, and thus educated myself. Its Adobe's product and they can make it as hard to buy as they want too.

If you were to guess, how much longer do you think Adobe will offer Lightroom as a standalone purchase? What makes it different to their other packages which means they still offer it separately to CC? I just feel like it's the only package that photographers are really gonna want to use. I know Photoshop has its uses for photography, but with the new HDR and Panorama merge features of Lightroom 6, there really might be no use for Photoshop for most photographers.
Which, considering its name, might be quite ironic.

Maybe this goes a way to explain why Lightroom is still offered as a standalone purchase.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
If you were to guess, how much longer do you think Adobe will offer Lightroom as a standalone purchase? What makes it different to their other packages which means they still offer it separately to CC? I just feel like it's the only package that photographers are really gonna want to use. I know Photoshop has its uses for photography, but with the new HDR and Panorama merge features of Lightroom 6, there really might be no use for Photoshop for most photographers.

Maybe this goes a way to explain why Lightroom is still offered as a standalone purchase.

There's no question Adobe has made a lot of money with the subscription philosophy and a vast majority of those initially were pro photographers and those who use the many different designer products that Adobe offers. The fact that they came up with a roughly $10/month price for photography enthusiasts and part-time or pro photographers with a less demanding clientele base was aimed to capture that population. However, they are now getting competition from Capture 1, onOne and the like which I think is good. The void left by Apple's abandonment of Aperture created this opportunity. Lr 6 looks to be a standalone product and as long as there is a real threat from other programs out there as alternatives for the photo enthusiast, part-time pro, IMO, they'll keep Lr 7 as a standalone as well. If they don't by that time there will be other options out there. There are many who do not want the subscription plan at all and more of the fringe subscribers many very well jump ship.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you were to guess, how much longer do you think Adobe will offer Lightroom as a standalone purchase?
I was all but certain that LR6 was going to be subscription only, yet we seem to have some evidence contrary to that supposition. Bottom line, I have no idea.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008

Hard to tell. I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of subscribers actually want PS and care little about LR. If you work in a business and use Bridge instead that might be the case. The subscription is certainly a better deal if you are interested in PS.

Given the success Adobe has had with subscriptions (and I think MS too) maybe the same factors you cite would lead to a LR-only subscription, maybe in conjunction with cloud and Mobile use.

If I was Czar of Adobe I'd offer up Revel unlimited, LR Mobile, and LR for $100/yr; Revel costs $60 alone for unlimited storage right now, which is comparable with other photo storage services. That's way cheaper than Apple's Photos plus iCloud storage if you have a TB of stuff to store online.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
There's no question Adobe has made a lot of money with the subscription philosophy and a vast majority of those initially were pro photographers and those who use the many different designer products that Adobe offers. The fact that they came up with a roughly $10/month price for photography enthusiasts and part-time or pro photographers with a less demanding clientele base was aimed to capture that population. However, they are now getting competition from Capture 1, onOne and the like which I think is good. The void left by Apple's abandonment of Aperture created this opportunity. Lr 6 looks to be a standalone product and as long as there is a real threat from other programs out there as alternatives for the photo enthusiast, part-time pro, IMO, they'll keep Lr 7 as a standalone as well. If they don't by that time there will be other options out there. There are many who do not want the subscription plan at all and more of the fringe subscribers many very well jump ship.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what it is which is putting me off of entering a subscription with Adobe. I think it's just that I really don't want to be paying monthly for a piece of software I just won't use (Photoshop) but also the fact that I already own Lightroom, I just wanna pay by £50 upgrade fee and be done with it. I don't wanna shell out £8 a month for one piece of software I won't use and another piece of software I already own. The one thing I do wish I had access to is Lightroom Mobile, however. I think that could be really useful if you took your iPad around in your bag, you could edit and upload as you shoot instead of having to wait until you get home to process your photos. I think that could be quite a neat feature to have, but something I can ultimately live without.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what it is which is putting me off of entering a subscription with Adobe. I think it's just that I really don't want to be paying monthly for a piece of software I just won't use (Photoshop) but also the fact that I already own Lightroom, I just wanna pay by £50 upgrade fee and be done with it. I don't wanna shell out £8 a month for one piece of software I won't use and another piece of software I already own. The one thing I do wish I had access to is Lightroom Mobile, however. I think that could be really useful if you took your iPad around in your bag, you could edit and upload as you shoot instead of having to wait until you get home to process your photos. I think that could be quite a neat feature to have, but something I can ultimately live without.

I'm not sure LR Mobile is all that useful. There are lots of features missing from the full version. Now if it was all available on your iPad I would be more tempted, but like you would rather just upgrade to LR 6 for a one of fee.

My issue has and always will be with a subscription model is once we all get used to paying £10 a month and you can't buy outright, who's going to complain about £15 a month or £20? Adobe can hang us out to dry and we will have no real choice.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country

PS still has it's benefits. Even though Adobe has made Lr more robust there are times when the content aware tool falls short and you need PS' more powerful tool. Blending and layering photos also requires PS. I agree that so far I have used Lr for 95% of the post-processing since I recently switched. And I agree with you that I could easily abandon the CC subscription and go it alone with Lr or even substitute another program like onOne's Perfect Effects for PS. These other competing software products are getting stronger and giving Adobe a run for their money, IMO.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
Hi,
I was trying to find Lightroom on Adobe website, I thought it was 100-120 but all I can find is Lightroom Photoshop and it's 250.

Did they change the price and combine 2 softwares?

I am currently using Aperture, just tried Photos and I was disappointed so I thought I'd look at LR.

Let me know,
Thanks

I'm very confused, where are you seeing Lightroom 5 for that much? I've seen Lightroom at Best Buy for $79.99.

Edit: Not sure what I saw months ago, but I see what you're speaking of.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm very confused, where are you seeing Lightroom 5 for that much? I've seen Lightroom at Best Buy for $79.99.

Edit: Not sure what I saw months ago, but I see what you're speaking of.

That appears to be the education version of LR

lr5_edu.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.