Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snjper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Italy
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, I would like to ask a question to all the experts.
I explained what changes or what the difference between a mac-pro 3.1 with 8 GB of RAM compared to one with 32 GB of RAM?
work with Premiere and FCPX, hobby, not a professional, but I can not understand what is it really the RAM?
thanks and sorry for the question to be inexperienced.

: D

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
RAM holds information to be used immediately by your computer. It stands for Random Access Memory.

RAM allows your computer to gain access to data faster than if it were stored on a hard disk.

Picture a person juggling balls - those balls represent data information, and the juggler is RAM. The Juggler (RAM) is keeping the balls (data) actively available, so it can immediately be used by your software, as opposed to the balls (data) that are still in the Juggler's bag (hard disk).

The more RAM you have available to your computer, the more information it can have immediately available.

In Photoshop, for instance, more RAM means the ability to work with larger files quicker, because the data can be "juggled" or kept immediately available, rather than stored on a hard drive. More RAM will, in general, speed up access to information and data on your computer.

In your case, I think more RAM would probably help with Premiere and FCPX.

Hope this helps. From your question, it appears English is not your first language, so I hope I interpreted your question correctly.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
If you have a 3,1 with only 8GB of ram and use Premiere, switch to the use of the CUDA cores if you have an Nvidia video card installed.

Attachments

• Mecury.jpg
    Mecury.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 65

Snjper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Italy
you're right, my language is not English, are Italian, however, thanks to you all for making me well explained what good is the RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.