Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
So the price cut down of the current model, its clear that a new one will come this year..at WWDC or in fall

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
If the next Apple TV can run apps, WWDC makes a lot of sense for the debut because that is where the SDK would also be unveiled.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I just bought a refurb ATV, if a new one is around the corner then I might return the current one and wait for new one to be released.

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
Yes,you are right.There will be a new model because you say so. I must prepare myself for upcoming release.I will joging every morning 10 miles to prepare my body for new Apple TV 4. Also ,100 push ups will be also recommended. Can you check your crystal ball to see the spec?

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
A7ibaba: We'll put down the specs when you show us a decent enough progress on your run keeper app. Screenshots will do.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
I hope for this as well. Tim did say twice that "This is only the Beginning" after the HBO announcement so It sounds as if they still have big plans. I also read a while back that Apple was wanting to unveil a new ATV at this last event but they were still trying to get a few more content deals worked out.

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I just bought a refurb ATV, if a new one is around the corner then I might return the current one and wait for new one to be released.

Just keep it. No one knows for sure when the next one will be released and Apple TVs hardly break the bank.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I've got wiring rigged up in my wife's SUV to use an :apple:TV for headrest displays for the kids on long car trips. If I wind up with an extra :apple:TV after upgrades, I'll just keep one in there permanently rather than borrowing one from the house when needed.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

A new one is always "right around the corner." Enjoy it. The new one might show up in June or it might be another year or three. Between now and when you might replace it, consider that the difference between what you paid for that refurb (what maybe $75?) and what you can probably sell it for used after a new one is launched (maybe $50) is the "rent" to get to enjoy it for that whole period. If that's 3 months, the rent was about $8/month. If that's another year, the rent was about $2/month. Etc.

----------

Do you guys think new :apple: TV will be priced at $69 when it come out in the future? :apple:

Hopefully NOT. Personally, I want a BETTER :apple:TV not a cheap or cheaper one. At the pace Apple updates them, the next one might be THE one for about 3-4 more years. I'd much rather pay something north of $99 or even $149 than $69 or less. Even $199/42 months (3.5 years of use) = <$5/month for a TV "do everything" iDevice.

If the next one is $69, I suspect Apple will eject more functionality out of it to deliver better guts AND get their margin. Goodbye to ethernet port? optical out? on board storage? Frankly, I'd rather have a little more hardware beef added: maybe a normal USB port (or even the new USB-C), analog audio out for Zone 2 receivers, 4K even if there's no 4K content in the iTunes store yet, etc.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
A new one is always "right around the corner." Enjoy it. The new one might show up in June or it might be another year or three. Between now and when you might replace it, consider that the difference between what you paid for that refurb (what maybe $75?) and what you can probably sell it for used after a new one is launched (maybe $50) is the "rent" to get to enjoy it for that whole period. If that's 3 months, the rent was about $8/month. If that's another year, the rent was about $2/month. Etc.
I have a Roku 3 that does everything but the Airplay. I got the Apple TV to try Airplay and maybe that will be a useful feature for me.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I hope so I really love my Apple TV and would like an upgrade!

With the ATV3 now dropped to £59 I might pick up some for other rooms in the house.

Nosauce

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
I will joging every morning 10 miles to prepare my body for new Apple TV 4. Also ,100 push ups will be also recommended. Can you check your crystal ball to see the spec?

I dunno about him, but I can tell you some of the specs. But on the downside, I can't give you a good reason to believe me or I encounter risks that I'm not willing to encounter.

Aside from that gaping hole in my credibility, I'd be able to confirm that they *are* targeting the WWDC time frame, and unlike posited in an earlier thread, it will not be 4k. ...Not that either of those should be earth shattering to anyone here.

leolatarc

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
Yes,you are right.There will be a new model because you say so. I must prepare myself for upcoming release.I will joging every morning 10 miles to prepare my body for new Apple TV 4. Also ,100 push ups will be also recommended. Can you check your crystal ball to see the spec?

I know you were being sarcastic, but let the OP dream. I'd like to see an Apple TV update at WWDC myself.

Something I'm learning is that I never walk into an Apple keynote without knowing the bulk of what they're going to talk about. Thats the way it is when you constantly view Apple rumor sites. With that said, it doesn't mean I don't want to be surprised and have something happen I didn't see coming.

I'm looking forward to WWDC whether there is an Apple TV or not as a developer, but it would be a nice addition to the conference.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I hope so. If there is one apple product I use more than my phone its this.

Hear, hear.

I love my two AppleTVs. I have two Roku boxes too and I never use them unless there's something on Amazon Prime that I can't get on the ATV. The fact of the matter is that even with the ATV's relatively ancient interface it's still the best UI out there.

But it needs an update badly. Apple can and should be doing so much more with this device. It's a practically constant presence in my at-home life and is the logical hub for both media and "the Internet of things." The move to make it a HomeKit hub makes perfect sense.

Better, more attractive hardware with more local storage, a faster cpu and a re-vamped interface would be most welcome, even if that's all they do to it.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
So the price cut down of the current model, its clear that a new one will come this year..at WWDC or in fall

That would be nice! I noticed Tim said "that's just the beginning"or words to that effect not once but twice when referring to the Apple TV at the keynote.
Clear hint something is coming,I doubt he'd have done that if they didn't have a firm date in mind. Of course,what the update will be and when is anybody's guess.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
I noticed Tim said "that's just the beginning"or words to that effect not once but twice when referring to the Apple TV at the keynote.

Yeah, I think that's a clear sign something else is coming.

Would make sense to show it off at WWDC, have some developer sessions during that week and release Sept/Oct.

Fire TV and High end Roku are both $99 so that seems like a likely price point. Hopefully it has at least an A7 in it.

They can keep the current $69 model around for people who just want streaming/AirPlay.

leolatarc

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
Yeah Tim Cook emphasized a few times during the keynote that it was just the beginning. How far out is the rest of it? That remains to be seen.

Usually a price cut comes before a new version is announced, but we'll see if that is what happens. I'm more looking forward to iOS 9 and the next version of OS X then anything.

It's time to slow it down Apple.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
If the next Apple TV can run apps, WWDC makes a lot of sense for the debut because that is where the SDK would also be unveiled.

I think it's just a matter of time before we see that to be honest. The Amazon Fire works really well with apps and a controller. It's the logical next step for Apple.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
App support (and therefore the need for more storage) and an A8+ processor will make it also an ideal gaming console, and the pricing will start to creep up to PS4 "heights".

I wonder if Apple is sitting on the fence here: keep the Apple TV a media-streaming box thus keeping it low-cost, or go for the inevitable gaming console once more storage, better CPU / GPU and app support arrive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.