Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426000137.685896.jpg

I have to clarify that it's far from being a new phone. As a matter of fact it has a couple of years I think, but still.

The battery performance has decreased notably with the latest iterations of iOS, I think. Is this in the "normal" crappy range of battery life of the iPhone or would you say there's something wrong?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The fact that usage time is exactly the same as standby time generally means there's some process that's stuck or running all the time, neither of which should be the case, and that's usually behind something like a much higher battery drain. Between restarting the phone and resetting network settings or all settings perhaps you might be able to resolve that, unless perhaps a whole restore as new might be in order, which is possible.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
There is a recall-programm on faulty iphone 5 batterys, check your serial number to see if you get a free repair.

lrockscan

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
I noticed a similar issue on my iPhone 5 while trying to deal with a charging issue. Not sure if the two are related but I'm looking into it. The charging port takes a little jiggling to get the cord to charge. This is with the old original cord and also with the new one I recently bought. It doesn't charge well on the computer either, have to plug it in the wall. BUT as this was going on, I noticed some serious issues with my battery life depleting fast. It can sit off (well, sleeping) unplugged at 90-100% and then I'll get a text message 20 minutes later and the charge has dropped to 70%. I have no background apps running, have turned off data and wifi and haven't touched the phone. I've done a reset twice and upgraded the software. I haven't started doing anything new to the phone other than that but for some reason it just dies quickly with no use. I had the battery replaced in September as part of the recall of certain phones. I haven't been able to check my battery life status. They showed me a graph in the apple store when I went for the battery replacement but I'm at a loss of where they found that on the phone or how to find it myself. I've got an appointment at the genius bar for Saturday but if it's just a case of replacing the battery and charging port, I'll do it myself. I did it for the iPhone 3 years ago.

Thoughts? Anyone else have this trouble? I'd rather save the trip to the genius bar if it's just a dying battery and charging port issue.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
The fact that usage time is exactly the same as standby time generally means there's some process that's stuck or running all the time, neither of which should be the case, and that's usually behind something like a much higher battery drain. Between restarting the phone and resetting network settings or all settings perhaps you might be able to resolve that, unless perhaps a whole restore as new might be in order, which is possible.

I restored the network settings (therefore I restarted the phone too, obviously), and though everything looked fine at first, not too much time passed before having weird lectures again.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426253982.990469.jpg

There is a recall-programm on faulty iphone 5 batterys, check your serial number to see if you get a free repair.

Yeah, I checked that as soon as the program was made available, but sadly my device is not eligible.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
As C DM points out it seems there is something stuck in the background or so, or otherwise the standby time would hardly equal the usage time if you do have put your phone into sleep. Try to turn off Background App Refresh, Fitness Tracking and Location Service and see how it goes.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
As C DM points out it seems there is something stuck in the background or so, or otherwise the standby time would hardly equal the usage time if you do have put your phone into sleep. Try to turn off Background App Refresh, Fitness Tracking and Location Service and see how it goes.

I'll see how it goes disabling background apps refresh, though it's sort of pointless as it makes my device way more useless.

In the meantime, have a look at my sad new record: down to 10% in just 4 hours 25 minutes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426261529.046304.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'll see how it goes disabling background apps refresh, though it's sort of pointless as it makes my device way more useless.

In the meantime, have a look at my sad new record: down to 10% in just 4 hours 25 minutes.

View attachment 534605
Background refresh makes less of a difference that some might think, as far as what it provides and what is lost without it.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
All iPhone 5 batteries are aweful. I had my battery replaced only a few months ago for the second time (all within warranty, so Apple recognized the problem using their battery statistics app, it's not just me) and just last week again the phone shut down while I was still at 10% or something. You'll find plenty of stories like this, almost all with the 5 (I think).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
All iPhone 5 batteries are aweful. I had my battery replaced only a few months ago for the second time (all within warranty, so Apple recognized the problem using their battery statistics app, it's not just me) and just last week again the phone shut down while I was still at 10% or something. You'll find plenty of stories like this, almost all with the 5 (I think).
Well, certainly some, if not quite a few would fall under that definition, but it's not close to being most, let alone all.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Well, certainly some, if not quite a few would fall under that definition, but it's not close to being most, let alone all.

I don't know anyone with a 5 who hasn't experienced battery issues like this.

92P92

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
Belgium
I have the same problem but i'm not eligible for the replacement program.
Usage and standy time are exactly the same

Already tried holding the power button and the home button but it didn't help

gmintz09

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
View attachment 533976

I have to clarify that it's far from being a new phone. As a matter of fact it has a couple of years I think, but still.

The battery performance has decreased notably with the latest iterations of iOS, I think. Is this in the "normal" crappy range of battery life of the iPhone or would you say there's something wrong?

Honestly, that's pretty much all (or even more) than I ever got with my 5 before I got my 6+. iPhone 5 battery is terrible...I'm pretty sure I was part of the faulty battery set of phones, but from what I've seen, that seems like pretty typical usage on an iPhone 5.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Wouldn't call it typical.

I had an iPhone 5 for a while. I could easily get through a day and have some left over. I'd guess it was around 5 hours of usage time and I'd plug it in around midnight and take it off at 7:30 or so when I got up.

My brother has one of our spare iPhone 5's now and I replaced the battery with a new one. I haven't had any complaints.

I would suggest a full restore to 8.2 and don't restore from a backup since it can bring the issue right back with it. Install just the apps you need and go a couple days. I'd imagine the usage and standby will go back to normal.

A battery replacement might be needed too. The one I sold went back to Apple for the sleep/wake button recall, and they gave it a new battery while they were at it. So do check your serial for the sleep/wake button recall or battery recall.

I went two days on my 5c more than a few times too. And my 4s. So it's possible :cool:

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Latest test, after disabling background refresh:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426536539.848556.jpg

As you can see, it looks like not much has changed.

Btw, my phone doesn't qualify for the sleep-button replacement program neither, lol.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Latest test, after disabling background refresh:

View attachment 535268

As you can see, it looks like not much has changed.

Btw, my phone doesn't qualify for the sleep-button replacement program neither, lol.

I had a similar problem (usage time = standby time). Take it to Apple. I had a faulty processor that got stuck running constantly and drained my battery. They gave me a new one.

I believe this happened on my iPhone 5S.

Advice - take it to Apple.

----------

I have the same problem but i'm not eligible for the replacement program.
Usage and standy time are exactly the same

Already tried holding the power button and the home button but it didn't help

See above advice. Take it to Apple and they should replace it. There's something that's causing the processor to continually run regardless of whether or not the iPhone is asleep.

I had the same issue and Apple replaced it on the spot.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I had a similar problem (usage time = standby time). Take it to Apple. I had a faulty processor that got stuck running constantly and drained my battery. They gave me a new one.

I believe this happened on my iPhone 5S.

Advice - take it to Apple.

----------

See above advice. Take it to Apple and they should replace it. There's something that's causing the processor to continually run regardless of whether or not the iPhone is asleep.

I had the same issue and Apple replaced it on the spot.

Interesting info.

However, there are no Apple Stores in my country, and I don't know if my phone qualifies for a free check and eventually a free replacement in some reseller's tech support, specially considering that it has a few years and it must be out of guarantee.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Interesting info.

However, there are no Apple Stores in my country, and I don't know if my phone qualifies for a free check and eventually a free replacement in some reseller's tech support, specially considering that it has a few years and it must be out of guarantee.

Ahh, that sucks brother. Ya, they told me it was a hardware issue on mine so unfortunately nothing can be done at this point.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Ahh, that sucks brother. Ya, they told me it was a hardware issue on mine so unfortunately nothing can be done at this point.

Is there a way of knowing for sure if it's a processor problem? If that's not the case, perhaps I could replace the battery by myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.