Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medwardl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Hello I'm mike, this is my first post here. I was wondering of someone could help me out with a couple of apple IIe/gs parts. I was digging in my attic and found a new power supply for a IIe/gs it's model is 699-0126. anyone able to help me figure out how to test it, I know some caps especially the old electrolytic ones can go bad just sitting there so I was wondering if someone knew the procedure to test it without installing it. Second thing I found with it is A fully populated memory expansion card with and extra chip for something not positive on its exact purpose for the spare chip. the board is labeled bcg56dsa26002. I think t has 1024k of ram on it but I'm not certain and was hoping someone could help me figure out for certain the amount of ram on this board. Thanks for any help.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Use a volt meter and probe around to find a charge. Then try jumping this charge to other wires until it turns on. Try connecting purple to green or green to black.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Use a volt meter and probe around to find a charge. Then try jumping this charge to other wires until it turns on. Try connecting purple to green or green to black.

That would be fine for an ATX style power supply with 'soft power-on', but this power supply is not one of those.

What you need is some sort of load, as these will not run terribly true without some kind of load. An old hard drive might suffice, (provided the +12v load doesn't exceed 1Amp), with an adapter built to convert the 4 pin molex plug of the hard drive to the +5v and +12v of the Apple power supply.

-5V Blue
-12V green
+12V yellow
+5V orange(red)

As for capacitors, there are apparently two models of these power supplies. One made by Dyna Comp, the other by Astec. You may need to remove the power supply to find the label determining which manufacturer you have.

There is a kit of capacitors you can buy to replace caps in the Dyna Comp available on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171692764330

NOTE: the above link does NOT constitute an endorsement of the item for sale.

As for the 'memory card', a pic may help to identify it, as I'm not that familiar with IIgs peripherals.

medwardl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Sorry for the delay, got busy and forgot about my post. Here is some picks of the card aspare chip that was with it and a letter with it. Thanks

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
It's a Apple IIgs Memory Expansion Card. Originally sold with 256K of memory, they could be upgraded to either 512K or 1MB.

Yours is fully populated to 1Mega Byte.

Users guide is here, thanks to apple2.org

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple ...IGS Memory Expansion Card - Owner's Guide.pdf

The additional chip is for the motherboard. It's the 74F27 mentioned in the letter. This mod is installed in conjunction with a DIFFERENT board, the RAMKeeper - it's probably inside the IIgs wherever it has gone.

RAMKeeper brochure with pic:

http://ae.applearchives.com/apple_iigs/ramkeeper/ram_keeper_brochure.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.