Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realpras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
hi, is anyone having issue with Photos after repairing the library because of Faces problem (photos not showing up when click on faces)?

I repaired my library because I have that problem and it fixed the Faces issue. However, I noticed that the Photos.app start uploading my library all over again (I have around 1800 photos and videos) but showing no progress. It stays there.

Also, it broke my iCloud Photo Sharing. On the 'Shared' tabs it says 'Connecting to Library... Retrieving latest photo sharing activity' and not showing the photos I've been sharing. If I turn off iCloud Photo Library, however, it shows the photos I've been sharing with my friends & family without problem.

I've looked up on the icloud.com, the photos I took yesterday using my iPhone have been uploaded as My Photo Stream. I imported them manually to my Mac to add them on my existing albums but the photos didn't show up on the albums on my iPhone because Photos.app from Mac apparently isn't working properly (not uploading photos, not syncing). On iPhone, it seems to be working fine as I can see that whenever I take a photo, it says updated recently, as can be seen from 'Photos & Camera' section on Settings.

Does anyone have this issue and successfully resolve it? Thank you.

realpras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah, apparently repairing library breaks syncing, the iCloud Photo Library and Shared Photos. Happen to lots of people here.

kernowRE

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
Scotland
same problem here. I just trashed my library and set up a new one which downloaded it all again. not an ideal solution but it worked.

it got rid of some of the stuff left over inside the library from iPhoto as well

Mr1ntu05

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
Yep. Did the same, deleting library, making a new and let it download everything from iCloud.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
it was a pain deleting 10s of thousands of photos from my phone, but i cleaned it off. gonna run without ICPL on the phone for now.

I created a new photos library on the mac, turned on ICPL, and it seems as if everything is going to be back to normal with the exception of faces. faces is empty.

al85

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Im stuck to. Had permission errors for another reason so did a full time machine restore. Im now stuck with the "Shared" tab showing no activity, and asking me to click a button to start sharing, nothing happens. Submitted a report. Anybody had any luck getting shared tab working again?

Small update, it appears that after each restart of Photos the "Share Tab" goes to Connecting to Library… then fails to sync.

Last edited:

rexwilson

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
exact same problem "connecting to library..." forever

same problem here, also tried deleting the entire Photos library and creating a new one. At one point managed to get past the "connecting to library..." forever prompt, only to then get "start sharing", with no subscriptions shown to my existing photostreams that I have already subscribed to.
Apple is notoriously bad at syncing and cloud services, dating back to the disastrous mobileme rollout, to iDisk. I would have thought they would have figured this out before releasing such a much heralded relaunch of their photos service. Shame on them.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Don't have a solution here, but just wanted to chime in that I had the exact same experience - repairing my library resulted into a forced rebuild/reuploading. At the time, I only had 200ish pictures. Now, I have 20,000. Makes me really nervous.

I really think it's STUPID of Apple to not have implemented some kind of "merge" function like OneDrive/Dropbox, etc. does. Repairing the library should NOT result into a complete re-uploading of photos/videos. How about those with ~1TB libraries?!

I definitely hope this behavior is an oversight/a v.1.0 bug, not by design.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
Im getting a lot of doubles, I hate to see how long uploading will take if I try to repair it.

KangPreet

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
To repair iCloud Photo Sharing and My photo Stream try to do the following.

1. Close Photos
2. Go to System Preferences, iCloud, Photos and disable "My photo Stream" and "iCloud Photo Sharing"
3. Go to folder /Users/YourUser/Library/Containers/com.apple.cloudphotosd/Data/Library/Application Support/com.apple.cloudphotosd/services
4. Delete com.apple.photo.icloud.myphotostream and com.apple.photo.icloud.sharedstreams folders
5. Enable "My photo Stream" and "iCloud Photo Sharing" again.
6. Start Photos. After a while, the shared photos will start coming.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
1. Close Photos
2. Go to System Preferences, iCloud, Photos and disable "My photo Stream" and "iCloud Photo Sharing"
3. Go to folder /Users/YourUser/Library/Containers/com.apple.cloudphotosd/Data/Library/Application Support/com.apple.cloudphotosd/services
4. Delete com.apple.photo.icloud.myphotostream and com.apple.photo.icloud.sharedstreams folders

Having just reinstalled OS X on a new SSD I now have the stuck on Start Sharing. I tried the above and it's made no difference. I'm not prepared to start again with my library, all 154gig of it. Anyone found another solution?

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I've found a fix. I just created a new album to share and as soon as I added a photo it started to drag the rest of them down from the cloud.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
1. Close Photos

This worked for me, thank you!!

mvdw84

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Canada
I was having the same issue.

After hours of searching this worked first time.

Thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.