Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacParker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Does any one know what micro inspection term mean at the apple store? I had a power button issue on my new iphone and they told me they have to do an micro inspection. Does that mean they can fix it?? So they have to remove the motherboard of the phone to perform this operation on my poor iphone ?:confused::confused::apple::confused::confused:

MacParker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
wow really ???? how you know the this information? are you a apple genius?
If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya ...
:D
I know lots of random Mac "stuff", never a "genius", but have been an Apple-certified tech. Maybe that makes me "certifiable," I don't know :D
And, I don't know what other procedure would be referred to as a "micro inspection", other than a 'scope of some kind. I DO know that Apple recommends a lighted/magnified view for checking certain areas, so some type of scope would be needed for that.

For the real answer - ask at the Apple store...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I call bs on that.
Either that or someone wasn't doing their job and following policy.
The term "New" is relevant.
You took the phone home and used it then it is not "brand new" any more.
Its called used. An inspection of the device before warranty service is performed is standard practice.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'm sorry, but you're just wrong here.

In the UK, within the first 6 months of ownership, it is Apple's (as long as you purchased it from them) responsibility to prove that the fault wasn't there at the point of purchase. By prove, I mean an independent engineer, not an employee's quick look.

They therefore have no right deny a repair or replacement based on any form of inspection a member of staff carries out.

As I said, this varies from country to country, but that's how it is here. It's not "bs" as you so eloquently (and rudely) put it.

You are wrong clearly but like to keep arguing.
If you damage your device or get it wet then they don't have to repair it or replace it for free under warranty.
That's why they have to inspect it each time.
If you dropped it in the toilet it's user damage and not something covered under warranty.
What country you're in has nothing to do with it.
If they can prove its abused or damaged or broken by the user them warranty is void.
How hard is that to understand?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
As I said - in the UK I am correct. If Apple wanted to deny warranty coverage, in the first 6 months, providing you bought it direct from them, they would have to get an independent inspection to prove that it wasn't faulty at the point of sale. That's how our law is.

So here's your toilet example. You bought an iPhone from Apple 1 month ago, and the power button broke, but you got your phone wet by dropping it into the toilet. Under UK law, because it's less than 6 months old, Apple would have to prove that the power button wasn't faulty at the point of sale. This would be done by:

- Getting an independent inspection stating what caused the button to fail
- Getting an independent inspection to prove that water ingress caused the button to fail.

The burden of proof is on Apple (or the retailer) to prove the above within the first 6 months.

Please quit trolling me. If you're so insistent on arguing, please look up the UK law I am talking about before coming back with more nonsense. You can "call bs" on it, or tell me i'm wrong as much as you like. It's the law over here.

So according to what you say.
If you bring in a phone for warranty repair Apple is not allowed to inspect it. They just have to replace it without taking a look at it.
They have to get an independent Inspection.
Your claims are incorrect.
They are within their right to inspect the device for damage before providing service
If it's a new phone, it should just be a straight replacement - no inspection needed.

False.
Like I said earlier.
It's their right to inspect it and will inspect it before providing warranty service.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know if the OP is in the UK or if he's SOL, but I decided to see what I could find and ended up here.

Looks like Apple would have to "agree" to pay for an expert opinion. Good luck with that!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I don't know if the OP is in the UK or if he's SOL, but I decided to see what I could find and ended up here.

Looks like Apple would have to "agree" to pay for an expert opinion. Good luck with that!

That makes perfect sense.
Imagine walking in an Apple store in the UK and telling them my phone is not working right.
I want it replaced but you cannot inspect it, you just gotta give me another one cause I bought it under 6 months ago.
Nonsense by the above poster that just likes to argue for no apparent reason.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You said there's no inspection needed.
That's the only part I was disputing simply stating that they will inspect every device prior to warranty service.
They will not just swap it or repair it without an inspection.
That has nothing to do with UK or any other country or laws you brought up that are irrelevant to the op.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Stop misinterpreting what I'm saying. Geez.

Right, what I'm saying is, if there is a fault within the first 6 months in the UK, the retailer has to offer to repair, replace or refund unless they can prove that the fault was not present at the time of purchase.

That means that they couldn't use any inspection to deny a repair. THAT's what I'm saying.

I really do not get what is so hard to understand about that? There's only one person here who's arguing for no reason. Especially as I believe you are not from the UK, yet are arguing that you know more about UK law than someone from the UK.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/brent&harrow/con1item.cgi?file=*adv0043-1011.txt

Read the section "Proving the fault". It's pretty clear. Edit: In fact, I'll paste it here for you:

"If you have accepted the goods and are seeking repair or replacement within the first six months after purchase, it is for THE TRADER to prove that the goods conformed to the contract (were not faulty) at the time they were sold to you. If you are claiming repair or replacement more than six months after purchase, the burden of proof is back to YOU, the consumer."
Well, they can inspect it and show, for example that there's water damage, and then say that their sold goods are never sold with water damage as they are inspected and certified to be free of water damage before sale. But to know that to begin with they have to inspect it to establish if there's something like water damage or some other physical damage.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
So you're saying in the UK, if I go drop my phone in the toilet, and it stops working, if I show up to the Apple store or retailer in 6 months they just give me a new phone? No strings attached? gtfo they would be idiotic to not check the sensors Apple placed in the phone for that exact reason.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.