Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Previous threads: Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3.

New Features/Changes:
- Apple Pay: New Apple Pay setup screen for compatible devices when setting up your device: Example Images
- Keyboards: Default yellow emoji now have yellow hair, with different hair color for each skin color. Also, the default emoji is now separated from the modified ones when selecting
262s320.jpg
9h2zk5.jpg

- Messages app: Filtered Messages changed to Unknown Senders as in previous betas

Bug Fixes:
- App Store app: App update pie chart and blue dot now displayed when updating existing apps and you have Settings-> iTunes & App Store-> Automatic Downloads-> Updates disabled and then manually update one or more apps via App Store-> Updates-> Update or Update All
- Keyboards: 3rd Party keyboard compatibility with Spotlight fixed
- Keyboards: Emoji keyboard shows recently added as default again
- Keyboards: Text entry problems using third-party keyboards in Safari fixed
- Messages app: Time stamps no longer randomly disappear
- Phone app: Choppy Phone call and FaceTime Audio problems while using CarPlay
- Safari app: No longer flashes white when using the swipe back gesture when in landscape on iPhone 6 Plus

Existing Bugs (from previous seeds/releases):
- Calendar Widget: Red time line is still present during morning hours on iPad: Example Image
- Keyboards: Swype dark and white keyboard themes show visual artifacts on buttons (Swype specific bug?)
- Music app: Artwork/Song/Artist sometimes incorrectly paired in 'Now Playing' window in the Music app (Bug Report filed 3/24)
- Music app: Now Playing menu still not present after a Music app restart (the app no longer keeps track of last played playlist/song - introduced in 8.3b1)
- Music app: Songs can be duplicated
- Photos app: If a device is using iCloud Photo Library and is restored from iCloud, PNG images will be downgraded to JPG when they are zoomed in (added JPEG artifacts, transparent PNGs lose their transparency, still occurs with "Download and Keep Originals", only happens on WiFi when it can download an optimized version of the image, introduced in 8.1)
- Settings app: Keyboard shortcuts not replicating across devices correctly (old entries exist/reappearing, new entries missing on devices, etc.)
- Status bar: Battery 61-59% bug still present
- Status bar: Displays larger lockscreen font for a few seconds upon unlocking your device
- Wallpaper: Dynamic wallpaper resets when switching away from the Multitasking menu to the home screen

New Bugs:
- App Store: Hiding purchases is not always successful using the Purchased section under Updates
- Camera app: Does not display the last photo taken. (Intermittent issue)
- Safari app: Screen flashes when going back and forth between pages on iPad (Intermittent issue)

Last edited:

hunt2013

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
I know this is probably a placebo but Springboard in general just feels so much faster and smooth on my 6 plus. Also you can select icons again without completely waiting for the animation to finish.

Also safari no longer flashes white when using the swipe back gesture when in landscape on 6 plus

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Some of the emojis are different. I dont think this one looked like this before "#" for example.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Default yellow emoji now also have yellow hair, with different hair color for each skin color. Also, the default emoji is now separated from the modified ones when holding it down.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I know this is probably a placebo but Springboard in general just feels so much faster and smooth on my 6 plus. Also you can select icons again without completely waiting for the animation to finish.

Also safari no longer flashes white when using the swipe back gesture when in landscape on 6 plus

How about waiting for the switcher animation to finish? Can you select the next card before the swooshing animation finishes?

So what you mean on springboard is say immediately after you hit home button while in an app you can press an app icon while the icons are zooming/fading on the homescreen and it will spring open the said icon? You don't have to completely wait for it to be over? That has been driving me nuts with iOS 8 from day 1 along with waiting for the switcher app animation to finish. At least in 7 you could press thing before it was done and then it would react immediately! It a huge reason I jailbreak to shorten the animations. It drives me nuts!

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
How about waiting for the switcher animation to finish? Can you select the next card before the swooshing animation finishes?

So what you mean on springboard is say immediately after you hit home button while in an app you can press an app icon while the icons are zooming/fading on the homescreen and it will spring open the said icon? You don't have to completely wait for it to be over? That has been driving me nuts with iOS 8 from day 1 along with waiting for the switcher app animation to finish. At least in 7 you could press thing before it was done and then it would react immediately! It a huge reason I jailbreak to shorten the animations. It drives me nuts!

Nope, not fixed, and quite annoying. This behavior isn't new with iOS 8 though. iOS 7 behaved the same way.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
So I played around and found out that the "public" beta and dev beta are the exact same build. When I checked for an update it showed "Beta 4", but then I enabled the Appleseed profile, when I had the public profile enabled software update said "Beta 2" and a Feedback app appeared.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Nope, not fixed, and quite annoying. This behavior isn't new with iOS 8 though. iOS 7 behaved the same way.

On my iPad 4 running iOS 7.1.2 I can double tap the home button and as the animation is starting to pull the app window away I can tap the app window to the far right and it immediately goes to that app. On my iPhone 6 I double tap the home button and I have to completely wait till the animation is over before it will respond to going to the next app.. I just did it on my iPad 4. Do you understand what I'm saying yet?

Same goes for selecting an app from springboard on 7. I can have my finger resting on the app I want and right after I hit the home button (leaving an app) I press an app and it registers it immediately while the animation is still in progress then spring open the app once the animation is done. On 8 I can be tapping away during the animation and nothing will happen until it's over. The whole interface already moves like molasses but 8 made it more herky jerky molasses!

Last edited:

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I seem to remember reading somewhere that it does not appear if touchID is enabled.

This was true in Beta 3 and I'd expect it to be the same in Beta 4, even though I think you should have the option as well. I've submitted Feedback on this as it's related to one of my complaints with Family Sharing.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
On my iPad 4 running iOS 7.1.2 I can double tap the home button and as the animation is starting to pull the app window away I can tap the app window to the far right and it immediately goes to that app. On my iPhone 6 I double tap the home button and I have to completely wait till the animation is over before it will respond to going to the next app.. I just did it on my iPad 4. Do you understand what I'm saying yet?

Same goes for selecting an app from springboard on 7. I can have my finger resting on the app I want and right after I hit the home button (leaving an app) I press an app and it registers it immediately while the animation is still in progress then spring open the app once the animation is done. On 8 I can be tapping away during the animation and nothing will happen until it's over. The whole interface already moves like molasses but 8 made it more herky jerky molasses!

Yeah, I understand and I don't have an iOS 7 device to compare on (and don't have an iPad, period), but this is the behavior I always remember from iOS 7 - I remember it drove me crazy and I had to retrain myself to wait for the animation to finish before I could tap an app. I'd be interested to see two (two phones or two iPads) running iOS 7 and 8 side by side demonstrating different behavior in this regard…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.