Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Anyone else excited about this mouse?

I am now (well, as exited as its possible to get about a computer mouse).
I do like the MX Performance, but I did for the right button by playing too much Minecraft, they obviously used sandstone for the microswitches when they should have used obsidian. Pity, I'd expect to pass on a $100 mouse to the great-nephew. Unfortunately, there isn't that much choice when it comes to big, chunky ergonomic mice.

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
I knew someone would have brought it up!

So many peripherals are coming out on April (MX Master, Das Keyboard, Apple Watch and etc.), and MX Master is one of the many items I'm keeping keen eye on. I actually went through 3 Logitech Performance MX, (teflon at the back wears out, connection becomes unstable and etc.) and personally it was the best mouse I could find out there for a guy with shoulder injury.

What worries me though is this new scroll next to the gesture button, where zoom button used to be. It made no sense to call a button "zoom" to begin with in the Performance MX, but we could remap it. Now that it is a dedicated scroll, I'm not sure where would I be using it. I have currently mapped it to launchpad on Performance MX.

As for the price range, Performance MX is sold for $50 on Amazon, while the original price on logitech's website is something around 100. I doubt MX Master would stay as $99, or even be sold as $99 on Amazon. They will figure something out.

scottyy

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2015
I will have to try one eventually. My first performance mx has not failed yet and I still have another in the box.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Looks like a promising workhorse. Big, sturdy, great ergonomics. No need for a unifying receiver, yay. Rechargeable Li-ion battery with plenty of juice. Made with Mac in mind, Mac drivers out of the box.

The two things it has going against it in my book is: 1) No multitouch or even touch stuff, just ye olde mechanical buttons and a scroll wheel. Plus a thumbwheel just like the ones I never used on MX Performance or MX Revolution. I'd love to see a hybrid with the size and shape of the MX series but with a Logitech Ultrathin T600/Magic Mouse style surface at the top. 2) A black/bronze behemoth like that is going to look terrible on my desk. If they made a white/silver version I'd buy three. Now I'll settle for one. Bronze, really?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I knew someone would have brought it up!

I actually went through 3 Logitech Performance MX, (teflon at the back wears out, connection becomes unstable and etc.)

You know you can buy replacement teflon pads....pity to junk a mouse because of that.

All the above said - I went from a Performance MX to an Apple Trackpad about a year ago and although this mouse looks very impressive, I don't think it's enough to get me to go back to a mouse. But if I had to choose a mouse - this one would probably be it.

scottyy

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2015
I use the Magic Trackpad and the performance Mx. You just can't get the same percision control in illustrator with the trackpad alone.

Reactions: mburkhard

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I tried to replace it once, but it didn't last long as the originals did. By the time it was worn off again I just decided to get a new one.
Hmm. Love the teflon pads on Logitech mice and I've never managed to wear any out. In fact it's the only ones that agree with my mousepad. I use the Alupad by Just Mobile, it's white/aluminum and looks awesome next to the Apple keyboard, but it was designed in the Mighty Mouse days and works horribly with the Magic Mouse. You get this awful nails-on-chalkboard feeling and there's some black residue from the Magic Mouse that scrapes off on the mousepad even if I apply no other pressure on it than its own weight. Logitech mice on the other hand slide smoothly and quietly on the pad. Sure, I could lose the pad but I already tried the Magic Mouse with a Steelpad QCK and it doesn't feel good either. I guess whatever they put on the bottom of the MM is supposed to be teflon but it feels more like sundried windshield wipers positioned at a surface-hostile angle like the designer has a shaving fetish.

Last edited:

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
Hmm. Love the teflon pads on Logitech mice and I've never managed to wear any out.
Actually I didn't know mine was worn off until I saw left-overs from teflon all over my mouse pad. First I thought it was just the mouse pad (inks or smudges) and get a new one. I realized it was teflon when I saw the same teflon smudges on the desk. That being said, I think it could still be the mouse pad, as to how the teflon pads wear off or gets damaged. After all that mouse pad I had was getting really old, about 7 years old by the time I got a new one, and it was made out of thick fabric of some kind, which I don't really see these days.

mauka

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
Looks like a promising workhorse. Big, sturdy, great ergonomics. No need for a unifying receiver, yay. Rechargeable Li-ion battery with plenty of juice. Made with Mac in mind, Mac drivers out of the box.

Bronze, really?

Going to need a Mac Mouse soon and this looks promising - if the price drops quickly. With you on the unifying receiver, not a problem on most PCs, they always seem to have 10-12 USB ports. Apple Magic Mouse is OK but the small size cramps my hand if used for a long session, but the touch top is useful.

aslam89

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
How does this compare against the existing MX in terms of customizing buttons on OS X Yosemite? Does the present MX support that?

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
How does this compare against the existing MX in terms of customizing buttons on OS X Yosemite? Does the present MX support that?

We'll have to wait on reports from people that start getting them, but my sense from reading the product page is that they have a new mouse utility for OS X to support the functions of this mouse. Their previous driver/software had not been updated in quite some time, so I'm not sure if this new one works for their older mice or if it's only for the MX Master.

JoeLr

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Wish they'd make this for those of us who mouse w/ left hand. I get it though, not enough of us to justify a lefthand version.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
We'll have to wait on reports from people that start getting them, but my sense from reading the product page is that they have a new mouse utility for OS X to support the functions of this mouse. Their previous driver/software had not been updated in quite some time, so I'm not sure if this new one works for their older mice or if it's only for the MX Master.

I've tried almost every decent buttoned Bluetooth mouse out there they all have issues IMHO, now I'm looking forward to trying out the MX Master.

I'm currently using a MX Anywhere (I love it) but I'm looking forward to losing the USB dongle and gaining a USB port. I'll make sure I can return the Master if it's as quick to sleep on Bluetooth as the Razor, or unpairable if you don't use their BT USB adapter Mad Catz mice.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Package Contents

• Logitech MX Master™ wireless mouse
  • Logitech Unifying Receiver
  • Micro-USB cable for recharging
  • User documentation
I was, until I read the second item under Package Contents. Nice mouse, but...

The Mouse is BT 4.0, but still requires the dongle. Wot? I need my ports. Logitech can go suck their dongle.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
Package Contents

• Logitech MX Master™ wireless mouse
  • Logitech Unifying Receiver
  • Micro-USB cable for recharging
  • User documentation
I was, until I read the second item under Package Contents. Nice mouse, but...

The Mouse is BT 4.0, but still requires the dongle. Wot? I need my ports. Logitech can go suck their dongle.

Why not read before that?

USB port or Bluetooth® Smart ready device

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Why not read before that?
Because I have 7 Macs that have BT 4 but aren't running Yosemite - a requirement for BT Smart Devices listed by Logitech. That's why. So, for me and my company, it's a no go. Bam.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012

It's very customizable with BetterTouchTool or even SteerMouse.

For example, I've got the back/forward buttons on the Performance MX as next/previous Desktop, so that I can easily switch between my virtual desktops without Mission Control. It's very natural.

That said, those same buttons on the MX Master look pretty bad- they're tiny and cramped. That's the only thing that bothers me about this new mouse other than the pricetag.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Because I have 7 Macs that have BT 4 but aren't running Yosemite - a requirement for BT Smart Devices listed by Logitech. That's why. So, for me and my company, it's a no go. Bam.

So your inability to use this mouse has nothing to do with the USB receiver, even though that's what you were complaining about? I am confused.

Bam?

Logitech makes it quite clear that you can use Bluetooth or their receiver. You just like to complain, don't you?

----------

Wish they'd make this for those of us who mouse w/ left hand. I get it though, not enough of us to justify a lefthand version.

This is my issue with this mouse as well. I find that the Anywhere MX is the best for left handed use, but I would appreciate an upgrade to something like this.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012

Im running Mavericks 10.9 with an MX master mouse using Bluetooth 4.0. No dongle needed. With that said they require Mac's to have bluetooth 4.0. My 2012 macbook pro has that thankfully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.