Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
So over the past few years I've lost quite a bit of weight through diet and exercise, 6 stone (84lbs) to be exact.

The thing is I want to lose another stone but I'm just so sick of the meals I normally eat when dieting that it's making it really hard. My main meal at the end of the day is ok, but breakfast and lunches are super boring. I've watched some YouTube videos on meal ideas but half of them use ingredients barley any average person has or the prep time is out of this world.

So does anyone have any suggestions that might make my life a little bit easier? I'm not a fussy eater at all.

Thanks!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I sometimes have a brothy soup for breakfast, cooked up quickly from combining a can of chicken broth (i use the lowered sodium kind) and a couple cups of water, bringing it to a boil while I chop up half a carrot, half a stalk of celery, half a small onion, and one big leaf of kale or bok choy (rolling it up like a cigar, then cutting narrow strips and then cross-cutting the circles so the pieces end up short), or just chop up some parsley. That takes less than five minutes and I do it while the coffee is brewing. After I throw in the veggies and bring it back to a boil, I can put in a handful of very thin egg noodles or some cooked brown rice and bring it just back to a boil once more, then turn it down and let the veggies and noodles or rice simmer a few minutes. Then finally I throw in a little diced tofu or cooked chicken. I keep all that stuff around and use it different ways so it's usually available in my refrigerator. For seasoning this breakfast soup, I use just a little thyme and a dash of salt, or else take it Asian and put a bit (a tiny bit!) of white pepper, a little light soy, a half teaspoon of sesame oil and a teaspoon of rice vinegar.

Once you get your head around the idea of having stuff you like for supper for a breakfast as well, your horizons are limitless. After all it's only mega-corporations who've sold us on the idea that breakfast is cereal and lunch is soup or a fast food sandwich. I never thought it was weird to have leftover Thanksgiving dinner for breakfast, for instance. It was only my grandmother would give me a tongue-lashing for raiding her leftovers early that next morning... ;)

I don't know what you can do about lunch. Depends on your circumstance, say if you are limited to what's on offer at a company cafeteria or commercial restaurant, or free to carry your lunch from home. Because I like grains and beans, I used to carry a chilled combo of those to work for lunch (in a thermally protected carrier), for example something like chickpeas and cooked bulgur wheat with a vinaigrette dressing or maybe spiced up with jalapeno or Patak's spicy brinjal relish, or sometimes some variant on a chilled tabbouleh; I like cooked bulgur wheat, mint, olive oil, lemon juice and chopped cucumbers. If I'm at home, I sometimes just bust up a couple taco shells into halves, grate a little cheddar onto them and put a dollop of salsa (and sometimes a teaspoon of cooked black or pinto beans) on each half-shell, then run it into the microwave for 30 seconds or so on something less than full power. It's perfect if I'm not very hungry but know I need to eat at least a little something for lunch.

I guess if you prefer meats to the whole grains and beans things, these are not what you're looking for. But again, think about what you like for supper and see how you can flip something like that around into a lighter version for the earlier meals. Good luck, and congratulations on paring down excess weight!

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
right now i usually make a quinoa salad, fruit, and chicken/fish for dinner. it tastes really really good actually.

as for breakfast, i just have cheerios since i always over sleep so no time to make any. Usually though, if I had time, I'd make a spinach/mushroom/ham/cheese omlet.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So over the past few years I've lost quite a bit of weight through diet and exercise, 6 stone (84lbs) to be exact.

The thing is I want to lose another stone but I'm just so sick of the meals I normally eat when dieting that it's making it really hard. My main meal at the end of the day is ok, but breakfast and lunches are super boring. I've watched some YouTube videos on meal ideas but half of them use ingredients barley any average person has or the prep time is out of this world.

So does anyone have any suggestions that might make my life a little bit easier? I'm not a fussy eater at all.

Thanks!

I eat omelets(no cheese) with nothing but onions inside and a tad bit of ketchup. Eggs are great for losing weight and help gain muscle at the same time. If I'm in a rush, two Bananas will do. I only eat any type of carbs or sugar rich foods for breakfast if I plan on doing an intense workout later on in the day.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
From top to bottom:
1 slice of Light cheese, slightly melted
3 whites, 1 yolk scrambled eggs mixed with some mexican sauce, oat flakes and some turkey ham
1 slice of whole bread, grilled.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Congrats on losing weight and working to be more healthy. I lost 100 lbs in 2013 by changing my eating habits completely so I can relate. It's hard to answer your question about breakfast and lunch without knowing exactly what kind of food plan you are following or what you have generally been eating already for those meals. I would hate to suggest something that you are currently doing.

What categories of food do you generally eat for breakfast and lunch according to your food plan of choice? For example, each day for breakfast I generally have two servings of starch and one serving of fruit. Then at lunch I have one serving of protein, two servings of vegetables, and one serving of fruit. Within those categories there are numerous options so I can mix things up to keep my food plan from feeling routine or boring.

I follow a pretty strict plan, but within each food category (proteins, vegetables, starches, fruits, fats), there is variety. Overall, I consume a certain number of portions from each category a day. But, I can also mix things up between meals. Some days I may move my lunch protein to breakfast and have a lighter lunch. Maybe, one day I'll only do one serving of starch at breakfast and save the other for dinner.

If you can tell us more about what your diet plan entails then we can probably give you more applicable ideas and suggestions.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I always steer people into eating minimal ingredients. The basics such as fresh meats, vegetables, fruits.

Your ingredients should be made up of whole foods, whether your lunch contains a meal made of 5 ingredients or 20.

For instance, instead of pre-flavored yogurt, buy plain yogurt and add your own fresh fruits into it, or granola. This way you are buying the yogurt from it's most refined state, and building your own ingredients.

When I grocery shop theres literally no cardboard in my shopping cart, almost no packages. I spend 90% of my time in the meats section, and then straight over to the produce. Those are your whole foods, how you combine them afterwards is up to you. But your already off to a much healthier start.

The more time you spend shopping on the outer perimeter of the store, generally the healthier your shopping. I you think about that statement, it makes sense. Stay out of the interior isles as much as possible aside from spices, pasta, and some other things.

People tend to over think a diet, it's all about micronutrients and macronutrients and I encourage everyone who wants to better their life to lookup those two terms. Read about them, learn them. Your either losing weight, maintaining weight , or adding weight to your body. In order to do ANY of those you need to understand what macronutrient numbers you need daily to meet your goal for your body weight, whether that be maintaining your current weight, losing weight, or gaining.

Either way, without even getting into the macros and micros...if you just stick to eating more whole foods, you will be a healthier eater.

Some argue that it doesn't matter where your macros (such as calories) come from, as long as your sticking to your target number you need for your goal, it's even debatable that it's scientifically proven that it doesn't matter what you eat, it's about balancing it. For example you can eat Burger King as long as it's not going to put you over your daily calories or saturated fat numbers etc.. It is said that your body doesn't care what your numbers come from whether it's Burger King, or it's Subway....the problem is people eat too much of it too often. You can eat whatever the hell you want as long as at the end of the day your Macro's and Micro's are hit.

Me personally, I like eating more traditionally, basic whole foods. Despite my body not really caring where my numbers come from, I feel better personally eating a strict diet.

Cut the processed foods out, stay away from the deli meats, and keep your ingredients simple.

Oh, and get a juicer and pick up apples, carrots, celery etc....those things alone make you feel like a million dollars once you start regularly drinking them.

Bottom line is if people just took the time to educate themselves on nutrition specifically macronutrients, dieting would be a non issue for those willing to stick to one.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Monday through friday I eat a sesame bagel with creamcheese and lettuce + a cup of coffee.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The more time you spend shopping on the outer perimeter of the store, generally the healthier your shopping. I you think about that statement, it makes sense. Stay out of the interior isles as much as possible aside from spices, pasta, and some other things.

That's funny and so true. My wife jokes that since we've changed our eating habits she literally never hits the middle aisles of the grocery store anymore. :)

We've also joined a food co-op to get fresh veggies and fruits at a discounted price directly from the farmers market.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I have weetabix or cornflakes for breakfast and a Salad for lunch (no dressing). Incredibly boring but keeps the weight off

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have weetabix or cornflakes for breakfast and a Salad for lunch (no dressing). Incredibly boring but keeps the weight off

Surely you don't eat this everyday. Yikes, as you say, "incredibly boring". On the other side though, I do understand the comfort and consistency of routine. For me, the key to consistently eating healthy is taking the time to prep well. If I (my wife really :D) will shop and prep well then we can have variety and stay on track without falling back into bad habits.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Cooked oatmeal with soy milk, honey, raisins, and walnuts, and maybe a banana or slice of hard cheese on the side. Yum, and it (along with coffee of course) keeps me going strong until lunchtime. This thread is making me hungry.

Last edited:

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Surely you don't eat this everyday. Yikes, as you say, "incredibly boring". On the other side though, I do understand the comfort and consistency of routine. For me, the key to consistently eating healthy is taking the time to prep well. If I (my wife really :D) will shop and prep well then we can have variety and stay on track without falling back into bad habits.

I eat the cereal every day, I eat the salad 5 days a week I usually splash out a bit at the weekends. I am just an incredibly fussy eater so most of the stuff I like is not healthy at all therefore I stick with what I know but it is very boring.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I eat the cereal every day, I eat the salad 5 days a week I usually splash out a bit at the weekends. I am just an incredibly fussy eater so most of the stuff I like is not healthy at all therefore I stick with what I know but it is very boring.

More power to you with whatever you find to be successful. Being consistently healthy is not easy.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I eat for breakfast what I didn't finish the night before: rice, tofu, veggies.

I think it's healthy.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Congrats on your weightloss so far!

Maybe this is one of the foods you've gotten sick of, but I've recently discovered Fage Greek Yogurt. I have 8 oz. with fruit: usually a banana, but also 1 cup blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries (usually more like 1.5+ cups for strawberries). Either 2% or whole plain yogurt. This tastes incredible, is very satiating, and is about 350 calories (or less, depending). Oh, and takes a minute or so to prepare. (I've lost 70 lbs over the last 9 mo, so have a somewhat similar perspective.)

I joke to my wife that I can't believe people haven't caught on to greek yogurt with fruit. ;)

(No ideas for lunch... well, I usually eat leftovers from the previous night's dinner... Since you like your dinners, maybe make some extra and keep it for lunch the next day?)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
As soon as you wake up drink an 8 oz glass of water with a few drops of lemon juice.

Two egg omelette with spinach for breakfast.

12 lightly salted almonds

Chicken and quinoa for lunch

half a protein bar.

Brussel sprouts, fingerling potatoes, shallots, steamed and grilled for dinner.

lots of water

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
For breakfast, I have up to 100 grams of natural yoghurt, about 30 grams of oatmeal flakes, and a small teaspoon of no-sugar-added strawberry jam. It's actually very tasty - I look forward to it when I get up!

Congrats on the amazing weight loss! I lost 20 kilos last year over about six months. I know how much time and energy planning, shopping for, and (in my case) weighing what you eat takes. Keep it up/off. :cool:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
about 1,5 dl natural, low fat yoghurt and muesli (oatmeal) with dried fruits and nuts... dried fruits have some sugar, so no extra needed at all... and a glass of 100% juice. i dont have time to cook on mornings, so it has to be something fast. im not so hungry either...

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
What is weetabix?

A cereal that is shaped into a brick (really), and is not mainstream in the US.

Weetabix

Had it before and i could get into it again.

For me, a home-made parfait, with low-fat yogurt, fresh blueberries and granola makes for a hearty and tasty breakfast.

But lately I have been making Pillsbury frozen rolls with some cheese and grabbing those for breakfast. :p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For me, breakfast depends on where I am and what circumstances demand or what commitments I have. By that I mean, if I had (or have) early morning commitments breakfast is very light. In my teaching days, if I had to teach an early morning class, my breakfast was very light (coffee and fresh juice). The same applied in my most recent postings; when and if giving an early morning briefing, my pre-briefing breakfast was light - coffee and juice. Afterwards, I would have breakfast - usually eggs and bread and coffee and fresh juice and fruit.

However, when not obliged to deliver an early morning briefing, or class, or lecture, and, if I am abroad, and in a hotel, the breakfast buffet sustains me until evening.

When I am at home, breakfast is freshly squeezed citrus juices (almost invariably some mix of lemon, grapefruit and orange), and a coffee. It usually includes cheese and bread, and, sometimes, ham or salami too.

On the days I don't have cheese, I will have an organic free range egg or two with bread.

Sometimes, I will have toast and home-made marmalade (preferably quite bitter), or home-made jam.

However, I hardly ever eat cereal; indeed, I rarely eat sweet things, and am not really enamoured of the idea that a breakfast should be a cornucopia of sweet dishes, as my preferences are more towards savoury foods.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.