Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimoholdijk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
I have an original Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet bridge (TEB) for my brand new MBP 13" retina Mid 2014 edition and I am running Yosemite 10.10.2. I connect to the internet via ethernet regularly to play online video games. I recently plugged in my TEB and found that it wasn't connecting me to the internet. I checked network preferences and tried to run diagnostics but in the network preferences it says there is nothing plugged into the Thunderbolt port. However, when I go to system information and under the hardware tab I selected Thunderbolt, with the TEB connected there is a little drop down menu named Thunderbolt bus and under it it says Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. If I remove the TEB, this drop down option is not there, which gives me the impression that the computer is recognising the TEB, but somehow something is wrong with the software that isn't allowing me to connect.

Further information

I went to the apple store with my TEB and asked them to check if it was working, they confirmed that there is nothing wrong.

I've also used a brand new ethernet cable, one that I know is working to connect to the modem.

So if anyone knows what I can do to fix this problem please help!

I've used the app EtreCheck and here were the results, doesn't seem like anything is wrong

Problem description:
Ethernet Bridge registered on system information but in network preferences it says no ethernet connection available

EtreCheck version: 2.1.8 (121)
Report generated 28 Mar 2015 22:27:24 CET
Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.
Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) (Technical Specifications)
MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro11,1
1 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core
8 GB RAM Not upgradeable
BANK 0/DIMM0
4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok
BANK 1/DIMM0
4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok
Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported
Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Battery Health: Normal - Cycle count 80

Video Information: ℹ️
Intel Iris
Color LCD spdisplays_2560x1600Retina

System Software: ℹ️
OS X 10.10.2 (14C1514) - Time since boot: 8:18:17

Disk Information: ℹ️
APPLE SSD SM0256F disk0 : (251 GB)
EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB
[redacted]'s Mac (disk1) / : 249.78 GB (63.55 GB free)
Encrypted AES-XTS Unlocked
Core Storage: disk0s2 250.14 GB Online

USB Information: ℹ️
Apple Internal Memory Card Reader
Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub
Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️
Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus
Apple Inc. Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Gatekeeper: ℹ️
Mac App Store and identified developers

Launch Agents: ℹ️
[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️
[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]
[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist [Click for support]
[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️
[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]
[loaded] com.valvesoftware.steamclean.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️
Flux Application (/Applications/Flux.app)
iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)
Dropbox Application (/Applications/Dropbox.app)
Basis Sync Application (/Applications/Basis Sync.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️
FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 17.0.0.134 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]
QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3
Flash Player: Version: 17.0.0.134 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]
Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10
o1dbrowserplugin: Version: 5.40.2.0 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]
SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.4.8 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]
googletalkbrowserplugin: Version: 5.40.2.0 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

Safari Extensions: ℹ️
AdBlock

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️
Flash Player [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️
Auto backup: YES
Volumes being backed up:
Zimo's Mac: Disk size: 249.78 GB Disk used: 186.23 GB
Destinations:
Backup [Local]
Total size: 200.00 GB
Total number of backups: 4
Oldest backup: 2014-12-29 22:43:52 +0000
Last backup: 2015-02-23 10:08:15 +0000
Size of backup disk: Too small
Backup size 200.00 GB < (Disk used 186.23 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️
13% WindowServer
6% Safari
2% hidd
1% Google Chrome
0% GoogleTalkPlugin

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️
404 MB Safari
189 MB Google Chrome
189 MB Skype
120 MB Google Chrome Helper
120 MB WindowServer

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️
136 MB Free RAM
3.42 GB Active RAM
3.25 GB Inactive RAM
1.08 GB Wired RAM
6.61 GB Page-ins
113 MB Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️
Mar 28, 2015, 02:08:55 PM Self test - passed
Mar 28, 2015, 01:03:46 PM /Users/[redacted]/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/iTunes_2015-03-28-130346_[redacted].crash
Mar 28, 2015, 10:16:32 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent_2015-03-28-101632_[redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Click for details]

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have an original Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet bridge (TEB) for my brand new MBP 13" retina Mid 2014 edition and I am running Yosemite 10.10.2. I connect to the internet via ethernet regularly to play online video games. I recently plugged in my TEB and found that it wasn't connecting me to the internet. I checked network preferences and tried to run diagnostics but in the network preferences it says there is nothing plugged into the Thunderbolt port. However, when I go to system information and under the hardware tab I selected Thunderbolt, with the TEB connected there is a little drop down menu named Thunderbolt bus and under it it says Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. If I remove the TEB, this drop down option is not there, which gives me the impression that the computer is recognising the TEB, but somehow something is wrong with the software that isn't allowing me to connect.

Try and see if these help:
  • Perform a SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
  • Reset PRAM: Hold down CMD-P-R while rebooting, let the computer reboot twice, when you hear a full volume bong release the keys and let the computer boot normally.
  • Create a new user account, login to the new user and see if the issue still happens.
  • Boot into safe mode, hold down spacebar while booting. See if the issue still happens. When done reboot to normal mode.

zimoholdijk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Try and see if these help:
  • Perform a SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
  • Reset PRAM: Hold down CMD-P-R while rebooting, let the computer reboot twice, when you hear a full volume bong release the keys and let the computer boot normally.
  • Create a new user account, login to the new user and see if the issue still happens.
  • Boot into safe mode, hold down spacebar while booting. See if the issue still happens. When done reboot to normal mode.

Thank you for your response. I have tried all the above steps you recommended. Unfortunately none of them have worked! Do you have any other advice?

On a side note, something super weird and kinda scary happened when I tried to boot into safe mode I pressed the button and it started up as if normal (no safe mode sign at the top right) , but when I selected my User the screen started to act funny and lines went across it as if the screen had been hit, and then suddenly at the top right safe mode appeared in red. Then as I logged in on safe mode, the screen again started to act all crazy. I don't know if that is linked to this issue but that was definitely scary to see, my computer is brand new so I don't know what could be happening there.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You might try this :

Unplug the TEB.

In System Preferences / Network, select the TEB connexion on the left, click the "minus" sign in the bottom to delete the TEB interface.

Click "Apply".

Restart the computer.

Plug the TEB in.

In System Preferences / Network, click the "plus" sign to add the TEB interface.

Click "Apply".

zimoholdijk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
You might try this :

Unplug the TEB.

In System Preferences / Network, select the TEB connexion on the left, click the "minus" sign in the bottom to delete the TEB interface.

Click "Apply".

Restart the computer.

Plug the TEB in.

In System Preferences / Network, click the "plus" sign to add the TEB interface.

Click "Apply".

I tried and the network preferences automatically chooses Thunderbolt Bridge when I press the + button, so I think again somehow the computer is recognising that it is plugged in but it is not recognising it in Network preferences or something and not connecting to the internet using it.

So it still says not connected and is red.

----------

You might try this :

Unplug the TEB.

Click "Apply".

Restart the computer.

Plug the TEB in.

Click "Apply".

AHHH it started working again, I kept trying different variations and now its working! thank you thank you thank you!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.