Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I was cleaning my Favorites folder under Bookmarks in Safari for some spring cleaning, and all of a sudden I whittled everything down into folders, but now my Bookmarks Menu folder was deleted, and I couldn't undo. How do you get it back?

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I was cleaning my Favorites folder under Bookmarks in Safari for some spring cleaning, and all of a sudden I whittled everything down into folders, but now my Bookmarks Menu folder was deleted, and I couldn't undo. How do you get it back?

just to tack on real quick, the Bookmarks menu is the the area underneath where the "Favorites" submenu is in the Bookmarks menu. It even has its own icon.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Are you talking about the folders in the Bookmarks Sidebar, on the left-hand side of of the Safari window? (Most of us tech geeks would consider the "Bookmarks menu" to be the Bookmarks drop-down menu at the top of the screen.) I'll assume you're talking about the Sidebar for now...

You were editing the Sidebar (clicking the Edit button at the bottom of the sidebar), and you managed to delete the Bookmarks folder from within the sidebar? That folder normally can't be deleted or moved. If so, some damage may have been done "under the hood." I leave it to someone else to suggest a fix (probably involves trashing a plist file).

Or did the sidebar itself disappear? If so, go to the View menu at the top of the screen, and select Show Sidebar.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Are you talking about the folders in the Bookmarks Sidebar, on the left-hand side of of the Safari window? (Most of us tech geeks would consider the "Bookmarks menu" to be the Bookmarks drop-down menu at the top of the screen.) I'll assume you're talking about the Sidebar for now...

You were editing the Sidebar (clicking the Edit button at the bottom of the sidebar), and you managed to delete the Bookmarks folder from within the sidebar? That folder normally can't be deleted or moved. If so, some damage may have been done "under the hood." I leave it to someone else to suggest a fix (probably involves trashing a plist file).

Or did the sidebar itself disappear? If so, go to the View menu at the top of the screen, and select Show Sidebar.

Nope, not the sidebar. This here that says "Bookmarks Menu," which is still in the latest iteration of Safari despite this being an old image:

mac-safari-organize-bookmarks-draggingfolder.png

The "menu" would be the bookmarks after this separator:

iu

I like to be able to prioritize bookmarks and access them from multiple access points so that's why I'd like to have it back.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Is the last screen shot your's ??

If yes, you do have 2 items in the Bookmarks menu : Boston.com and the New York Times.

You can check this by using "Show All Bookmarks" : you will find these 2 items in the Bookmarks menu there.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Is the last screen shot your's ??

If yes, you do have 2 items in the Bookmarks menu : Boston.com and the New York Times.

You can check this by using "Show All Bookmarks" : you will find these 2 items in the Bookmarks menu there.

No that's a screen shot from DDG.

Was the bookmarks menu removed in Safari 8?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.