Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Im running 10.3 with the Photo's beta and I have a dilemma. When I first set it up I put it on a small 128GB external SSD. The drive has become pretty full and I'm tired of having to remember to plug it in to open and view my pictures. I want to move the entire library to my internal 2TB drive. I tried to just drag and drop the library folder but when I open Photos its only showing some of my pictures and videos. Am I doing something wrong with moving it? I really don't want to start over because Ive already set it up the way I want it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Im running 10.3 with the Photo's beta and I have a dilemma. When I first set it up I put it on a small 128GB external SSD. The drive has become pretty full and I'm tired of having to remember to plug it in to open and view my pictures. I want to move the entire library to my internal 2TB drive. I tried to just drag and drop the library folder but when I open Photos its only showing some of my pictures and videos. Am I doing something wrong with moving it? I really don't want to start over because Ive already set it up the way I want it.

Once you have moved the entire Library, have you tried holding down the "Option" key when you click on the new Photos app? I am assuming it would be the same as the iPhotos. This should bring up a box and allow you to select the new location of the library.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I did that and still only showing maybe 50-60% of my photos. The system library shown is the one i want to move with the one below it being the copy. is there anyway to move the "system Library"?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 10.15.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 10.15.23 AM.png
    381.7 KB · Views: 119

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Are any of the photos in the Photos Library referenced? or all of them managed, i.e. IN the Photos Library?

Also, I think that in the conversion process Photos creates hard links (sorta like aliases) to photos in your old Aperture/iPhoto library; those might go haywire if the library is copied. Note copied, not moved. When you dragged that library to your hard drive you were copying it, essentially creating new files.

Moving might produce a different result, but I dunno. I'd recommend against it until you find out for sure how it works, because moving and moving back might also destroy links. I would have thought a hard link would get copied and still point back to your iPhoto Library, but I dunno. They operate differently than aliases or symbolic links.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.