Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CD17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Hi I've had a MacBook Pro for almost ten years, but started to slow up once I updated the operating system. So I bought a MacBook Air which is great, last night I tried to install some software using a YouTube video as a guild & I now keep getting loads of stupid ads over some of my pages. I was going to install Vuze software but when I saw all the Mackeeper ads etc I decided not to install, but I've got the stupid ads.

Does anyone know where these are stored & how to remove them.

Thanks.

CD17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Hi thanks for your reply.

I downloaded Ad-blocker yesterday, but this is what I'm still getting.

See the way the word Game has altered

& when you hoover the mouse over it, this appears

Also when I open a new page, I get this

I never had any problems before yesterday when I went onto youtube.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
That looks like a popup ad specifically put on that website by the owners. Does it happen everywhere?

EDIT: Well, I just went to that site on a couple browsers and NEITHER has that ad. One of my browsers has AdBlockPro, the other has no ad blocking at all.

I'm thinking you have a browser extension or something that snuck in there. It looks like malware or something... not sure...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 10.51.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 10.51.13 AM.png
    561.8 KB · Views: 111

CD17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
That looks like a popup ad specifically put on that website by the owners. Does it happen everywhere?

EDIT: Well, I just went to that site on a couple browsers and NEITHER has that ad. One of my browsers has AdBlockPro, the other has no ad blocking at all.

I'm thinking you have a browser extension or something that snuck in there. It looks like malware or something... not sure...

Yes that's what I'm thinking, no it doesn't happen everywhere, it happens on here, on the website pictured + a few other sites. I don't get it on Facebook or eBay etc.

I have tried to find it & have deleted loads of stuff, but I can't get rid of it, so not sure where it is stored :-( It's really hard to work with stuff like this.

& also it's only on this MacBook Air, if I use my old MacBook Pro (which I don't very often now) it's fine, so it's a problem with this MacBook Air. Actually my iPad, iPhone & my Samgsung Galaxy Note Work phone are all fine.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You said that you were installing software using a youtube video as a guide, was that software legally obtained? If you were trying to pirate something it wouldn't surprise me if the installation you got was instead one of the malware apps out there for the mac pretending to be something else.

xylitol

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Finland
Vuze and other torrent software are notorious for installing adware, whether or not you uncheck some boxes.

CD17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Try using AdwareMedic to detect and remove any malware or adware you may have inadvertently installed.

This seems to have fixed it, thank you :)

I'll donate to them, I'm very grateful for people who provide software & then ask for a donation.

----------

You said that you were installing software using a youtube video as a guide, was that software legally obtained? If you were trying to pirate something it wouldn't surprise me if the installation you got was instead one of the malware apps out there for the mac pretending to be something else.

Well it didn't say, but I'm guessing so now. I won't be doing that again & I shall inform on the youtube video of the problems I had.

Thanks for the help everyone, I hope I'm ad free again now :)

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hi I've had a MacBook Pro for almost ten years, but started to slow up once I updated the operating system. So I bought a MacBook Air which is great, last night I tried to install some software using a YouTube video as a guild & I now keep getting loads of stupid ads over some of my pages. I was going to install Vuze software but when I saw all the Mackeeper ads etc I decided not to install, but I've got the stupid ads.

Does anyone know where these are stored & how to remove them.

Thanks.

This happened to me. I remove them through the ad-block extension.

SAFARI > PREFERENCES > EXTENSIONS

AD-BLOCK showed a list of Ads permitted even with ad-block on. I removed all of them and the ads stopped appearing.

Y So Jelly

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2013
Adware on OSX.. you're doing it wrong OP.

Just busting balls. The install file probably had one of those miniscule "install this unrelated program as well" checkboxes. Hate when they do that. ********* sellouts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.