Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Take note that if you are recently starting up Garageband (on Yosemite) and it prompts you to download the new sounds, make sure you update to the latest version of the Java JRE for Mac OSX. A number of people are having issues with the install process getting stuck and never completing. Apparently, this install uses the JRE and older versions of the JRE may create bugs in this part of the install.

Downloading the latest JRE before installing these sounds will help ensure it completes. (If you did get to the point where it is stuck, you should still be able to force quit the application once it does, then download and install the Latest Java JRE from Oracle, restart Garageband and redo the installation without problems)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I installed my library/sound updates without a hitch, and I don't have any Java JREs installed on my two Macs. I updated GarageBand, Mainstage, and Logic Pro - all without a hitch and an installed JRE, and I was not prompted for a JRE install on either Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.