Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anth2312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
Has anyone considered how they will handle overheating? I live in California 100-110 degree weather some days. Will the watch shut down like the iPhone and iPad if it gets too hot?

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Has anyone considered how they will handle overheating? I live in California 100-110 degree weather some days. Will the watch shut down like the iPhone and iPad if it gets too hot?

This was brought up before. In general, the iPhone will only shutdown if it is in direct sunlight and pretty extreme heat. It doesn't shutdown in normal use on hot days. The watch will be the same. Leave it on your dash, and it will likely not tolerate that. Use it as normal, and you should be fine.

I am in Fresno, and the only time any iPhone has shut down on me due to heat since the original is when it was in direct sunlight on hot days.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
Interesting question but I would assume that if it gets hotter than your arm you should get it out of the sun. It will be interesting to see here in Hawaii. I expect I will likely just take it off if I will be getting in the pool or ocean but I would wear it for long beach walks.

dylman

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
The heavy lifting CPU wise is being done by the iPhone (at least until native apps are allowed later this year), so it shouldn't be be an issue. I'd like to think that Apple have considered this at some point during the last four years of development.
Obviously many posters will now appear stating that the Apple Watch is useless to them for exactly this reason because they work in a steel forge/sauna/the surface of the Sun/galvanic corrosion/for Samsung.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The heavy lifting CPU wise is being done by the iPhone (at least until native apps are allowed later this year), so it shouldn't be be an issue. I'd like to think that Apple have considered this at some point during the last four years of development.
Obviously many posters will now appear stating that the Apple Watch is useless to them for exactly this reason because they work in a steel forge/sauna/the surface of the Sun/for Samsung.

I work on the surface of the Sun. Pshht this watch is useless to me! :p

Anth2312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
This was brought up before. In general, the iPhone will only shutdown if it is in direct sunlight and pretty extreme heat. It doesn't shutdown in normal use on hot days. The watch will be the same. Leave it on your dash, and it will likely not tolerate that. Use it as normal, and you should be fine.

I am in Fresno, and the only time any iPhone has shut down on me due to heat since the original is when it was in direct sunlight on hot days.

That's funny. I live in Fresno too.

----------

Obviously many posters will now appear stating that the Apple Watch is useless to them for exactly this reason because they work in a steel forge/sauna/the surface of the Sun/galvanic corrosion/for Samsung.

That's cool. It will make it easier for me to order my black SS.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
My iPhone has only ever over heated once. I left it in the sun in Germany. I live in CA where in the summer its 90+ every day yet my phone has never overheated in general use.

The watch does pretty much nothing except replicate what's on the phone and so in terms of needing to process data its very low power.

What's with all the looking for problems before they even exist??

Anth2312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
My iPhone has only ever over heated once. I left it in the sun in Germany. I live in CA where in the summer its 90+ every day yet my phone has never overheated in general use.

The watch does pretty much nothing except replicate what's on the phone and so in terms of needing to process data its very low power.

What's with all the looking for problems before they even exist??

I assure you I'm not looking for problems. I want one and will preorder April 10th no matter what. I'm all for it. I was just asking if anyone had heard maybe how they planned to keep it from getting hot.

Multiverse223

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2015
That's funny. I live in Fresno too.

----------

That's cool. It will make it easier for me to order my black SS.

Don't worry I think Apple already made it sufficiently easy for you to order your black SS.

----------

I assure you I'm not looking for problems. I want one and will preorder April 10th no matter what. I'm all for it. I was just asking if anyone had heard maybe how they planned to keep it from getting hot.

In the fine print it suggests everyone bring a cooler with them everywhere and just put their arm in it when necessary. Seriously though, it's not gonna be a problem I don't think.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I tend to doubt this will be a problem for several reasons. The apps are meant to be used in short bursts so they should not use the sustained processing power and generate the subsequent heat that using a Phone or Ipad does. Also the backs are ceramic or plastic composite which don't conduct heat like aluminum shells do, so any heat would likely not contact your wrist in any way that wold make you uncomfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.