Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has officially sold out of Apple Watch stock to be delivered within the April 24 launch day timeframe, as shipping times for all models have slipped to 4-6 weeks or later less than 6 hours after pre-orders started at 12:01 AM Pacific today. Apple Watch Sport models were the first to sell out, with delivery estimates shifting to 4-6 weeks, and then June, on the Apple Online Store in the United States.

Apple-Watch-Trio-800x363.png
The stainless steel Apple Watch retained fairly better shipping estimates after the pre-order window opened, with most models available to ship in 4-6 weeks after the first hour of availability. The 38mm Stainless Steel Apple Watch with Black Classic Buckle was the last model to maintain its original April 24th to May 8th shipping time, finally slipping at approximately 6 AM Pacific.

It appears that prospective buyers of the Apple Watch Edition will have a difficult time getting their hands on the 18-karat gold watch before summer, as shipping estimates for those models slipped to June-August almost immediately after pre-orders became available. Apple Watch Edition stock will also be limited to select Apple Stores in the United States and other launch countries.

Apple confirmed on Thursday that it expected Apple Watch demand to exceed supply upon launch, although it is unknown how many devices the company made available for pre-orders. Multiple reports in recent weeks claimed that Apple Watch stock would be limited at launch, possibly due to manufacturing delays or, as some critics suggest, an attempt to generate artificial hype for the wrist-worn device.

Article Link: Apple Watch Sold Out in Less Than 6 Hours as Shipping Times Slip on All Models

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
I doubt they truly sold out. Its more likely Apple is holding back supply to create demand.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
And that's why you place your order online IMMEDIATELY! Glad I was able to get the space grey, even if I'm waiting until mid May.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I doubt they truly sold out. Its more likely Apple is holding back supply to create demand.

There's another conspiracy theorist on this board that I've argued with before on the validity of this belief... he agrees with you (though he also admitted that he thought the moon landing was a hoax).

I'm just saying. =P

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
Do we really have to play this game every time there's a new Apple product?

"It won't sell."

… product sells out in hours …

"Apple are deliberately holding supply back."

… sales figures show they sold a metric crapton …

"It's only the loyal fanboys that bought them."

… next quarter shows sales growth …

"We've reached saturation point."

… continued sales growth …

… repeat for the next X years …

*sigh*

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Space Grey had to be the first to slip. I was a few minutes late and saw 4-6 weeks, so I went with the Silver/Green combo.

It's crazy that the gold ones are in such limited supply. Maybe they gave too many to people like Drake, and Katy Perry :p

Edit: But we shouldn't get too excited about this, or mock the "haters". We have no idea how many they made. For all we know it could've been a few hundred thousand. Save the victory dance until we get the numbers -- IF we get the numbers!

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Two things. How did something sell out by 9:00 AM Pacific when this article was posted at 6:00 AM Pacific?

Also, is it truly not possible to order the sport in silver with a black band?

Diaz72

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Well if it's true about the stores not carrying any stock on launch day, then people are gonna be pissed when they hear "oh yeah so that watch you want? You'll get that in June. Have a nice day!" Boy am I glad I don't work at an Apple Store anymore. Apparently they are justifying this as a more customized customer experience. I've heard some stupid justifications for things come from this company, but this definitely takes the cake. :rolleyes:

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
More silly BS after every Apple product launch. MacRumors 101.
They don't create scarcity, but this has been one of the lamest releases so far: no stock in store, no pickup option, only online and shipping times slipping to june after just a few minutes (or immediately, like on the SB SS one).

cknibbs

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
The Apple Store App seemed to come up for preorders before the online store - had no issues at 12:01 PDT ordering two watches for April 24 delivery :)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Scarcity effect. Marketing 101.

No. People like to believe that, but it is nonsense. Apple generates its own publicity, it needs no additional help with games like you suggest. And you can't sell what you don't have. Apple knows they lose more by not having stock for quick shipment than they gain by any stock manipulation nonsense.

----------

The Apple Store App seemed to come up for preorders before the online store - had no issues at 12:01 PDT ordering two watches for April 24 delivery :)

The same thing usually happens with iPhones.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The longer the delay the better. My wife has an appointment tomorrow to try one on. I convinced her to wait before ordering. Hopefully the shipping will have slipped into 2016 by then. LOL

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I don't really understand what draws so many people to this forum just to post anything from sarcastic hate thru angry get off my lawn fist shaking.

I especially don't understand why so many are desperately hoping and predicting a flop for this product.

If Apple do well with this, they will raise lots of money to help them make Apple products you do want to buy. No one is making anyone buy the Apple Watch.

Just because YOU don't want one, doesn't mean that the next person who does want one is an idiot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.