Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
I already posted that I preordered a 38mm with Milanese loop. I have a wrist that measured 240mm if I did it right. A few people have responded that they thought it would work. So far the videos I have seen are all of people with small wrists. Is there anyone with large wrists that have tried the Apple watch on and what do you think? Do you think there might be extenders that could work?:) If you have videos, please post.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I tried on the 42mm SS w/ Milanese loop last night, my wrist is 210mm and the band fit me just fine and I was able to loosen it up with no problem. The thing is though that to put it on it was tight going over my hand but once I got it to my wrist it was no issue.

Same issue with the Leather loop, tight around my hand but fit just fine on my wrist. I didn't get a picture of the Milanese loop, the girl helping me out look so uninterested and rather bored, my appointment lasted 5 mins, she didn't give me any limitations on how many I can try on but I was sort of just done so I left.

7MaRNO6.jpg

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I already posted that I preordered a 38mm with Milanese loop. I have a wrist that measured 240mm if I did it right. A few people have responded that they thought it would work. So far the videos I have seen are all of people with small wrists. Is there anyone with large wrists that have tried the Apple watch on and what do you think? Do you think there might be extenders that could work?:) If you have videos, please post.

Dude none of the watch bands go that large. I'm a 235mm and that is why I stayed on the sideline.

215mm is the largest band...

:eek:

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
215mm is the largest band...

:eek:

The Sport band at 210mm was just right, Apple says the sport sits 210mm and thats my wrist size, so it was just a little snug. The Milanese and Leather loop though stretch out quite a bit, more than the 200-210mm that Apple says it does.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Mattapotomus,

No when you look at the sizing guide, but an Apple rep said he thought the Milanese loop would work. I have already read other posts stating that big wrist people are just fat people and that fat people should not even think that they could wear an Apple watch, because Apple didn't design it for fat people because Apple doesn't want fat customers. So yes my measurement is large and yes I do want an Apple watch. I am sorry if it offends people of normal wrist or small wrists, but we are all people and you don't know me.

CthrewU

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I have a wrist measurement of 221mm. I tried on the 42mm SS Link (which is what I ordered) not thinking it would fit as the max size is listed at 205mm, but it did barely. I had just enough space to put the end of a finger just between the band and my wrist.

I also tried on a 38mm SS Milanese (wanted to try the 42 but they didn't have one) and it would not even fit over my hand, so I couldn't even attempt to fasten it. I also tried on the 42mm SS with classic buckle and it had plenty of space left.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I tried on the 42mm SS w/ Milanese loop last night, my wrist is 210mm and the band fit me just fine and I was able to loosen it up with no problem. The thing is though that to put it on it was tight going over my hand but once I got it to my wrist it was no issue.

Same issue with the Leather loop, tight around my hand but fit just fine on my wrist. I didn't get a picture of the Milanese loop, the girl helping me out look so uninterested and rather bored, my appointment lasted 5 mins, she didn't give me any limitations on how many I can try on but I was sort of just done so I left.

7MaRNO6.jpg

Awesome, I held off on the Milanese because my wrist is 210mm. But if it fits, order page here I come. If have to dislocate a thumb to get it on so be it, my morphine will hide the pain :D

Funnone

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
Toledo,Ohio
Yea this is something i would like to know also, i ordered 42mm SS Leather Loop (large) and my wrist size is 216mm. and when I'm drinking Beer heavily i swell.......LOL

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Mattapotomus,

No when you look at the sizing guide, but an Apple rep said he thought the Milanese loop would work. I have already read other posts stating that big wrist people are just fat people and that fat people should not even think that they could wear an Apple watch, because Apple didn't design it for fat people because Apple doesn't want fat customers. So yes my measurement is large and yes I do want an Apple watch. I am sorry if it offends people of normal wrist or small wrists, but we are all people and you don't know me.

The worries with the Milanese loop is you might not have enough of the magnets to keep it on if you move too fast...

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Do none of y'all have stores around to just go try it out? Nobody can tell you over the internet if it will work

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Mattapotomus,

Lol big wrist are just fat people? More like real men wrist, I have a 22X wrist and got myself the milanese loop that I'm sure will wrap just fine.

Reactions: Srbell67

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Mattapotomus,

My wrist is just over 75mm across and 210mm circ and I'm sorry to disappoint but I'm anything but fat, check my profile pic lol. I've had big wrists since I was a teenager I blame genetics. Or all that exercise they got in the early teenage years :D

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
My wrist is just over 75mm across and 210mm circ and I'm sorry to disappoint but I'm anything but fat, check my profile pic lol. I've had big wrists since I was a teenager I blame genetics. Or all that exercise they got in the early teenage years :D

I was born with a cyst which squished my pituitary and have been "fat" all my life. I just am insulted and was when I read the post. I think I will let the 32mm with Milanese loop come and give it a try. I can't go to an Apple Store to try one on that is why I was asking people with large wrists to respond.

----------

Lol big wrist are just fat people? More like real men wrist, I have a 22X wrist and got myself the milanese loop that I'm sure will wrap just fine.

I assume you got the 42mm watch?

----------

I am guessing you got the 42mm watch?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
My wrist is about 173mm. I tried on the 38mm, and had no trouble getting it over my hand, and I had plenty of band to spare. The 42mm would have left a ridiculous amount of band to spare.

I think that the biggest challenge for you will be getting your hand through it.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I was born with a cyst which squished my pituitary and have been "fat" all my life. I just am insulted and was when I read the post. I think I will let the 32mm with Milanese loop come and give it a try. I can't go to an Apple Store to try one on that is why I was asking people with large wrists to respond.

Hey don't get me wrong there was a time when I nearly hit 20 stone, damn cake addiction.
Nowadays I can't exercise much since my accident and most of my day is sat in front of a computer working. So I fully expect to end up putting on a few pounds again.
Like you Its not so easy for me to get to my nearest Apple Store so I'm glad this thread cropped up and my point was purely that a persons size doesn't have to directly relate to wrist size.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM

----------

I assume you got the 42mm watch?

----------

I am guessing you got the 42mm watch?

Yeap the 42mm, even if the apple bands don't work for us I'm sure the third party offerings will take care us so I'm not worry.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Keeping 42mm in mind as backup

I think I will try the 38mm when I get it. If it doesn't work, I might give the 42mm a try. I'm glad this post has been beneficial. One Apple rep yesterday told me that he knows people have been asking about bigger bands. I know not everyone has normal or small wrists and I wanted to hear from others with big wrists that are getting or wanting to get an Apple Watch.

guicane

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
London, UK
I got really mad at Apple. Don't they know how to measure things?

My favourite option was the Leather Loop, closely followed by the Milanese Loop. When you go to their website it says the 42mm band fits wrists up to 210mm and 200mm, respectively.

When I got to the store to try both, they both fit my 220mm wrist absolutely fine with room to spare.

When I ordered just after the pre-order went live, I ended up going for the Classic Buckle which looks awful and pretty cheap in person, only because it stated it fit wrists up to 215mm and it turns out it's a lot tighter than the other two above.

VERY disappointing and now I want a milanese loop which won't arrive until June. Grrr

CthrewU

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I think I will try the 38mm when I get it. If it doesn't work, I might give the 42mm a try. I'm glad this post has been beneficial. One Apple rep yesterday told me that he knows people have been asking about bigger bands. I know not everyone has normal or small wrists and I wanted to hear from others with big wrists that are getting or wanting to get an Apple Watch.

See my post above...

I don't think you'll have any luck with the 38mm Milanese. I tried it on at the store and it would not fit. I have a 221mm wrist circumference. The online store lists the band size of the 38mm SS :apple:Watch as 180mm and the 42mm SS Milanese band is 200mm. You'll have a better shot with the 42mm :apple:Watch with 200mm Milanese band fitting.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I preordered the 38mm with the Milanese and the delivery range starts with the 24th. So I will let it come and try it and make a decision then. The 42mm watches now won't be shipped until June.

jediuia

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I got really mad at Apple. Don't they know how to measure things?

My favourite option was the Leather Loop, closely followed by the Milanese Loop. When you go to their website it says the 42mm band fits wrists up to 210mm and 200mm, respectively.

When I got to the store to try both, they both fit my 220mm wrist absolutely fine with room to spare.

When I ordered just after the pre-order went live, I ended up going for the Classic Buckle which looks awful and pretty cheap in person, only because it stated it fit wrists up to 215mm and it turns out it's a lot tighter than the other two above.

VERY disappointing and now I want a milanese loop which won't arrive until June. Grrr

How do you think the classic leather looks cheap? As compared to the others? It's not like it's fake leather, it's just a plain leather band. Strange comment.

Maybe you meant it looks plain? I would agree with that.

I ordered the link band as my main, so I'm not defending it just wondered how it looked cheap.

Daghis

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
My wrist isn't that large, but it's at the upper end of the wrist band scale at 200 mm. I was concerned that since the 42mm's Milanese Loop goes up to 200 mm, I might be at the very end of it even just possibly fitting.

I tried it on. It fit quite well. Here's how much the loop wrapped around on my wrist:

KingCoffee

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
I just tried on the Milanese loop and while my wrist is 200mm, it was my hand that wouldn't fit through the loop. Not even close.

troymdaniels

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
I have a fat wrist (amongst other things) and the sport band SS is what I had preordered so I tried that on. It fit with only one hole to spare (why is this post sounding so dirty), then I tried on the leather loop and it fit MUCH better. the leather loop is so long it almost looks comical laying on the table, but it works and has tons of adjustment potential.

Overall, my impressions of the 42mm was that it is SMALL. I asked if I could try the 42 on and he said, that is it. I was expecting it to be larger and heavier, just seems a bit cheap to me (my opinion).

That said, after my try on, I have decided it's not worth the $634 to me, but I plan to keep the order and sell it. The try on watch was just running a demo, but i stood there for about 15 min playing with a "live" one and the thing felt buggy and confusing. Stocks app just spins and doesn't load (not that I care, but still) and no lie, the watch crashed to an apple logo while I was adjusting watch face settings. I'm out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.