Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Hello.

I was on the phone today to Apple, discussing where my iPod nano 1st gen had got to, as I executed a replacement as part of the 1st gen iPod nano replacement program. Since the outbound (old) nano had "got lost" on it's way to Apple, I had to call about 10 times to get any sense made of the whole matter.

Anyway, long story short, the lady very kindly ensured the replacement nano is being shipped (they saw the proof of my having shipped the old one AND them having received it last week) and she said she'd also send me a pair of "Apple EarPods headphones with remote and mic" for a gift as an apology for all the messing about and delay - she accidentally sent me "In-ear headphones with remote and mic" (yep, the expensive ones!) - I called back to let them know, and the senior advisor said "We can't cancel the order now and there is no need to return them - I'll order you the ones you asked for - the EARPODS, and you can keep both as a gift."

WOW...

An hour later, I get this LIST of things in an email that they say has been ordered and they are sending... I am rather confused (NOTE: this is a separate order, and was to send the EarPODS, as she promised):

=== COPY/PASTED FROM APPLE EMAIL ===

What happens next?
Shipping
We'll send you another email when we ship the item(s) you requested.
Coverage
Based on the information you've provided, we believe that your repair will be covered by the warranty, an AppleCare product, an AppleCare repair program, or consumer law.
Non-Return Fee
If Apple requires that you return a part to us, you’ll see a “Non-Return Fee” section in the table below with all the details. We've placed a temporary authorization on your payment card to cover the fee.

If there’s no “Non-Return Fee” section in the table below, it means you don’t need to return any parts to Apple.
Part Request
Item Price
iPhone 4 Bumper, Black £0
iPhone 4 Bumper, White £0
Apple Digital AV Adapter (2nd Generation) £0
Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic, International £0
Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic, International £0
VAT @ 0.00% £0
Total in GBP £0

Any idea why they are sending all these things? They said they needed to order EarPods with remote and mic UNDER my iPhone 4S product, as they are an accessory not supplied with iPod... but WHY all this stuff? I've not asked for ANY of that, and, as they said before, these orders CANNOT be cancelled :/

Thanks

Last edited:

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
That's really strange, but judging by the prices, you won't have to pay anything if you don't return them. Just take it as a gift from Apple :p

I wouldn't worry about it.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Uh...play dumb and wait until you receive it. Then ask why they sent it all.

Maybe they'll be overly apologetic again and ship you a free 5K iMac or something. :p

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
uh...play dumb and wait until you receive it. Then ask why they sent it all.

Maybe they'll be overly apologetic again and ship you a free 5k imac or something. :p

rofl!

----------

That's really strange, but judging by the prices, you won't have to pay anything if you don't return them. Just take it as a gift from Apple :p

I wouldn't worry about it.

Worry? No chance. I am honest, so I contacted them via chat, and they said the technicians must have a reason for ordering them, so... whatever.

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Incredible update:

I just called apple to ensure that they hadn't sent that list of items accidentally - spoke to same bloke in AppleCare. He said "when we setup a repair I get a choice to select one item or five, so I thought I'd just send you all those as gifts to surprise you"... WOW! What a generous thing to do.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Incredible update:

I just called apple to ensure that they hadn't sent that list of items accidentally - spoke to same bloke in AppleCare. He said "when we setup a repair I get a choice to select one item or five, so I thought I'd just send you all those as gifts to surprise you"... WOW! What a generous thing to do.

Wow thats awesome! Congratulations on the free stuff :p

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Wow thats awesome! Congratulations on the free stuff :p

Yes indeed, and thank you. It just goes to show the chasm of difference between REALLY caring about your customers, and the supposed "customer service" from Nokia; when I had an ill fitting back on a Lumia and a misbehaving Bluetooth speaker - hours of tail chasing and rhetorical questions on the phone and via Twitter - the whole time the tone was implying I was wrong about what I was experiencing... and the replacement parts for both instances of that poor experience, COMBINED, would have come to a paltry £20.

I'm so glad I've moved back to my beloved iPhone.

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
So, the haul arrived... and thank you to a VERY kind Apple advisor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 120

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Update

Okay, so the advisor told me to contact him when the replacement nano arrived, and if it didn't have a lightning cable with it, he'd send me one free. So I emailed him today, and... well, look what he's done... this is WAY WAY above and beyond any normal customer service - what a lovely manager - he's sent me MORE freebies. Is this normal?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 178

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Another update (yes, really):

I called the guy back today, explaining that the "VOL -" button on the 7th gen nano (the replacement for the 1st gen recall) is very mushy - IT DOES WORK, but it is mushy, and he was told that. He said he'd send an empty box, and I am to send the 7th gen back, and they'll replace it.

I also, separately, explained I have a 4S I wish to get replaced, and he told me there's a fee - no problem, but I can't afford that (I'd get a 5/5S anyway).

Well whaddayaknow... not 15 mins later, he emails me, asking me to call him as he's "had an idea" ... so I did, and do you know what he said next?

"Matt, I have sent you a new 7th gen nano at no extra charge, and don't send the other one back - keep them both. I was thinking maybe you may be able to sell some of this stuff and put it towards the 4S repair fee or something"

Whaaaaaattttt?!

Blooming Nora! Apple! :D What amazing service!!!

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
is that manager related to you or something?

Nope, not apart from us both being extremely distant descendants of Adam and Eve. Were he related to me, I'd find the situation rather uncomfortable - I'm sure anyone could see that, including myself, as exploiting a relative for personal gain - that thought really doesn't sit well with me, so thankfully he's just an extremely generous and conscientious manager :)

uid15

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Damn. Maybe the Apple guy has finally got a girlfriend or smth. Lol.

Possibly mate, or maybe he's just a very kind person who doesn't need an unrelated life situation to change his mood and cause him temporary out of character generosity. Some people are just naturally happy and enjoy making someone's day by giving things away, I'm one of those people too :)

Let's face it, he's extremely kind, and I'd think no less of him or of Apple if he hadn't arranged these rather kind gifts, and although giving accessories away is in a different league to giving me, say, a Mac Pro (anyone who started off with such a ridiculous expectation could do with a dose of humble pie, maybe), the point is that as much as Apple are worth, financially, is irrelevant - Apple didn't HAVE to do what he did on their behalf, twice, and he was extremely polite, courteous and helpful in resolving my problems even BEFORE I found out he'd sent these things, but to do so is just another demonstration of how Apple are always willing to consider breaking from norms in order to show that they're not just another cold, faceless corporate robot. I was overjoyed just with the fact I'd sent an old nano in and got a brand new model back, but his person has just guaranteed Apple that I'll be a customer of theirs for a very long time, if I hadn't already been of the same opinion BEFORE he'd sent me freebies :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.