Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helveta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Mac Rumors is forecasting a launch for a new apple TV in June. It would have an updated processor, more memory and more content.

That's nice but my question is, why would anybody buy one. I have to assume that if they increase content it would also be available on ATV 2 and 3's. It won't be 4K and until shown otherwise I have to assume it still won't be able to connect to my iTunes library. I would bet that if apple cuts content deals with providers Roku or someone else will follow.

The big draw to the ATV over Roku is the ability to tie it into an apple home ecosystem; airplay and homesharing. If apple can't get that right with the ATV 3 why even bother releasing an ATV 4?

Apple should make its current products work before releasing the updates.

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
Mac Rumors is forecasting a launch for a new apple TV in June. It would have an updated processor, more memory and more content.

That's nice but my question is, why would anybody buy one?

I did you a favor and put a question mark at the end of that question (because thats how English works).

As for the "why" anyone would buy one? Well, it's silly to ask or answer that question without knowing what new features it will bring, but what if it shipped with two remotes... one of them similar to the standard :apple: tv remote, but with a microphone for Siri, and the other reminiscent of a gaming controller for the all-new........:apple: TV APP STORE! :eek:

It will likely be under $100, so I'll buy one regardless.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle

That's nice but my question is, why would anybody buy one. I have to assume that if they increase content it would also be available on ATV 2 and 3's. It won't be 4K ....

It might be 4k and thus would/could have more memory. It might support high def audio (24bit 96kHz) and/or DTS. It might have 80211.ac. IT could have Siri integretion. It might have an HD or usb for HD (and it might have an iTunes server in it.) There are a lot of ways it could be improved over the existing ATV. Until released only Apple knows.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

That's nice but my question is, why would anybody buy one. I have to assume that if they increase content it would also be available on ATV 2 and 3's. It won't be 4K and until shown otherwise I have to assume it still won't be able to connect to my iTunes library. I would bet that if apple cuts content deals with providers Roku or someone else will follow.

The big draw to the ATV over Roku is the ability to tie it into an apple home ecosystem; airplay and homesharing. If apple can't get that right with the ATV 3 why even bother releasing an ATV 4?

Apple should make its current products work before releasing the updates.

maybe because the current one is 3 years old, slow as sh**t, laggy and outdated in every possible way. Are they going to pull the power out of thin Air to add all the features you mentioned on the current A5 single core ATV? That would be interesting because it can barely handle the current UI and apps.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'll buy it if its 4K...

The Apple TV needs more storage and an app store. I can't believe that 5 years on there is no app store.

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
That's nice but my question is, why would anybody buy one.

An app store. Hopefully, they announce one at WWDC.

I have to assume that if they increase content it would also be available on ATV 2 and 3's.

I wouldn't make that assumption.

I have to assume it still won't be able to connect to my iTunes library.

You sure it's a problem with the AppleTV 3 product in general and not your particular iTunes library or device? Countless people here, myself included, have no problems using their AppleTV's with their iTunes library.

Primalsage

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
App store is the main selling point. No more "when will content provider x launch an app for my atv?". They can just do it. Every single streaming provider on one box. Very handy.

There will be no 4k for the ATV4. Apple have said they don't think it's time yet.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I have to assume that if they increase content it would also be available on ATV 2 and 3's. It won't be 4K and until shown otherwise I have to assume it still won't be able to connect to my iTunes library.
Although it is rumored to be not 4K, it is also rumored to have A8, which can encode and decode H.265 (HEVC). iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are using H.265 for 720p FaceTime video (encoding outbound and decoding inbound videos simultaneously). So I am hoping it will have enough processing power to decode 4K H.265 streams.

Like Apple TV 2 before it, I am hoping it will at least output 4K for user interface and photos.

As for iTunes library, it does seem like a missed opportunity not to use disk attached to AirPort Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule as iTunes media server.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
People on this site call it ATV 3. To Apple it's just Apple TV. Yes, they gave it a version number and major upgrades were announced while 3,2 wasn't? I don't remember. In any case, can't the answer be that they upgrade it because they can? New purchasers get the new hardware and old users have a choice to make. I have an ATV 2 that needs replacing, so my mind is already made up. I'm just waiting. In case you're wondering, 1080p is one reason I want a new one, but a bigger reason is that ATV 2 doesn't play nice with family sharing.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I have to assume that if they increase content it would also be available on ATV 2 and 3's.

Evidentially you are not aware that there are already channel(s) that are available only on the AppleTV 3 and not on the AppleTV 2.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Probably the worst apple product I've purchased. It fits my needs. But always cuts out or just doesn't play nice.

Hankkk

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
Good question to be honest. I have the feeling expectations towards a new TV are pretty high, but no one can name an actual killer feature they are expecting from an upgrade. I mean a dedicated App Store would be nice for sure - but what kind of Apps do you expect to be offered? Amazon Instant Video would be a great addition and so would be other streaming services. But other than that (and maybe games) I don't really see any killer apps coming to TV with the launch of an App Store (yet).

And other than that.. I mean 4k would be definitely nice, but how many users would really benefit from that? 1080p is perfectly fine for what the TV is meant to be right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also excited for a new TV and I will be getting one at launch but I find it hard to imagine what Apple can actually change about it to make it a significantly overall better product for the average user. I believe TV has a lot of potential as an entertainment center but I find it hard to imagine what I actually want it to do that it isn't capable of yet and I also don't see anyone else mentioning certain 'killer features'.

I really hope Apple has a good idea and surprises us as they've always done :)

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
Good question to be honest. I have the feeling expectations towards a new TV are pretty high, but no one can name an actual killer feature they are expecting from an upgrade. I mean a dedicated App Store would be nice for sure - but what kind of Apps do you expect to be offered? Amazon Instant Video would be a great addition and so would be other streaming services. But other than that (and maybe games) I don't really see any killer apps coming to TV with the launch of an App Store (yet).

And other than that.. I mean 4k would be definitely nice, but how many users would really benefit from that? 1080p is perfectly fine for what the TV is meant to be right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also excited for a new TV and I will be getting one at launch but I find it hard to imagine what Apple can actually change about it to make it a significantly overall better product for the average user. I believe TV has a lot of potential as an entertainment center but I find it hard to imagine what I actually want it to do that it isn't capable of yet and I also don't see anyone else mentioning certain 'killer features'.

I really hope Apple has a good idea and surprises us as they've always done :)

Apple have shown on numerous occasions that they have no problem with announcing tiny incremental updates in new products. iPad mini springs to mind.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't really see any killer apps coming to TV with the launch of an App Store (yet).

As for non-streaming apps: Tablo and simple.tv are two killer apps for watching OTA recordings, that would be a great addition to the Apple TV and would move cord-cutting forward in a big way. Also, a proper Plex app would be a huge deal.

As for streaming apps: There are dozens of traditional cable apps that allow streaming full episodes that aren't on AppleTV currently. For example, I specifically want a Comedy Central app to stream The Daily Show, the iPhone app allows you to watch whole episodes without a cable login.

Username Here

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
"Manners and etiquette work". Verb/subject agreement. Sorry but, you know, couldn't resist. Now someone get me for my sentence fragments...

Mmmmm nope, work's is a phrasal noun. How does it work? is an interrogative sentence ....:p haha me neither...Can we agree on the etiquette part..?? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.