Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
New user to mac. What is the best go to app for creating websites and designing and messing around with wordpress?

I have seen somebody post rapid weaver which looks good but looking for others. Ofcourse I know of the adobe products

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I use Photoshop and Illustrator to actually make designs/elements. When I have to edit code I always used Coda from panic.com.

Pretty much that's it. Although I do tend to sketch out designs/layout on good old fashioned paper from time to time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Checkout Rapidweaver, though wordpress does give you a lot. It all depends on the type of site you're looking to build.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use Coda 2, Dreamweaver and WordPress. I use MAMP Pro for working with my sites locally.

I build my graphics with Illustrator & Photoshop.

Have seen Rapid Weaver in use and it works well. Many plugins available to make your work easier.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
For basic types of websites, I've long been an iWeb fan. I was quite upset by Apple's choice to EOL it. Since then, I've seen little that has offered an equivalent level of ease of use and WYSIWYG editing capability. The closest that I've seen to it is an app called EverWeb. It has promise, but the last time I checked it out it had a few bugs and lacked a few features that were deal breakers for me, as long as iWeb keeps functioning (which, honestly, may not be that much longer, given some of the UI bugs that have been cropping up with the latest OS updates).

Beyond that, for sites that go beyond simple informational sites (personal websites, blogs, ecommerce, etc.), I, too, use Photoshop, though I couple it with a reasonable knowledge of PHP, HTML, etc, and buy templates that I modify to suit my needs. I have found that the richness of the templates that are out there is so grand it takes care of 90% of the backend work, allowing me to tweak a little and then focus on what I want the front end to look like.

FWIW.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Any of these softwares such as rapid weaver will allow me to import my own html website and customize it within the software?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.