Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
Hello,

my girlfriend has an iPhone 4S which is about 6 months old. The battery is pretty bad and iBackupbot shows that the battery capacity is about 80%.

Isn't 20% decrease in 6 months kind of fast?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How many cycles are coming up?

Was this a new phone or possibly a refurbished one?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Ask her if she leaves it on the charger over night. That could be contributing to bad battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ask her if she leaves it on the charger over night. That could be contributing to bad battery.

Overnight or anything similar to that is perfectly fine and won't damage the battery.

----------

266 cycles. The phone was a new one.

266 in half a year sounds like a fair bit. Shouldn't be enough to degrade the battery much, but still more than it should be in half a year. So was this a brand new phone originally?

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
Overnight or anything similar to that is perfectly fine and won't damage the battery.

----------

266 in half a year sounds like a fair bit. Shouldn't be enough to degrade the battery much, but still more than it should be in half a year. So was this a brand new phone originally?
Brand new yes. That many cycles is probably because the battery has already 20% less capacity.
If I take it to Apple they'll probably replace the battery or give a new phone? Or the battery isn't that bad yet?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Brand new yes. That many cycles is probably because the battery has already 20% less capacity.
If I take it to Apple they'll probably replace the battery or give a new phone? Or the battery isn't that bad yet?

They might replace the battery. They'll do their own tests to figure things out to see what might be going on.

chantygxox

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
Your girlfriends battery isn't going to get any better. I had an iPhone 4s this year and had to get my battery replaced due to how bad it was. It would die at about 40%. Go to the nearest Apple Store and ask them to check it out and they'll replace it. It's in warranty as well so it won't cost a thing!

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Agree with the point. Just for comparison. Mine is 216 cycles wih 98.4% health.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015

----------

Yup .. that is a LOT for 180 days of use ... must be 90 or so 20 hour days of talking there.

Battery Doctor (Free App at iTunes) recommends you charge when the battery is less then 100% and greater then 20% ... seems making your battery exhausted with a complete drain might not be such a good idea.

I downloaded iBackupbot .. and that is a great application for iTunes data.

Real nice to have ...

Big 'Attaboy' to the code hackers on that one.

Oh ... I just charge on the USB chain off the iMac ... powers it up in about an hour of noodling around the internet, checking the weather, road conditions, pending news, email, sync to backup ... etc.

Alan

:apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.