Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Because of the career I'm studying, unfortunately I have to give up my Mac and buy a PC.
I've settled on HP laptops, specifically the ENVY 15 inch models.

However, the websites and model names are pretty confusing, and I have no idea which is the most recent model out there, and I'd obviously like to get the newest model out there.

Can anyone help me find out which is the newest one out there?
Thanks!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What career requires a PC? More importantly, what career requires a PC to the point where a Mac + BootCamp/Parallels/VMWare isn't an option?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Just install

Because of the career I'm studying, unfortunately I have to give up my Mac and buy a PC.
I've settled on HP laptops, specifically the ENVY 15 inch models.

However, the websites and model names are pretty confusing, and I have no idea which is the most recent model out there, and I'd obviously like to get the newest model out there.

Can anyone help me find out which is the newest one out there?
Thanks!

Windows on your mac and have the best of both worlds. Especially at the cheap prices students can get windows software..

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
What career requires a PC? More importantly, what career requires a PC to the point where a Mac + BootCamp/Parallels/VMWare isn't an option?

Architecture.
There are some architecture programmes for Mac, but not all of them (and not the one's I want to try out).

I'd have to use a Mac + BootCamp (because parallels doesn't give its full potential), and that's a bit tedious having to turn the computer on and off again.

----------

What are you looking for, and how much do you want to spend?

Looking at HP Envy models; don't live in the US, but I'm willing to spend the equivalent of 1467 dollars in my currency.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Why can't you just run windows on the mac all the time ? What's with this "switching off and on again" ?

If you do insist on using non apple hardware,you are posting in the wrong forum. This is the "apple hardware" forum for which the obvious answer is,stick with what you have and spend about 10% of what you were planning.

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
If you're really into buying a PC, look into buying it through your college's technology store. At my college, we have some decent deals on laptops, plus we can elect to buy accidental damage coverage for 4 years.

kevinjohnson20

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
London
It's upon your budget and your desire of computer as per your work's convenience. If you be specific on it so I can suggest you exact one for you.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Architecture.
There are some architecture programmes for Mac, but not all of them (and not the one's I want to try out).

I'd have to use a Mac + BootCamp (because parallels doesn't give its full potential), and that's a bit tedious having to turn the computer on and off again.

----------

Looking at HP Envy models; don't live in the US, but I'm willing to spend the equivalent of 1467 dollars in my currency.

why not just run windows all the time then??? and how is it tedious my mac shutdown in 5 seconds turns on in 10 seconds if not less doesn’t seem like a big deal to me

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
I don't know if I would buy an HP. At least not a consumer level HP.
$1500 gets you a pretty nice laptop in Windows world.
I would look at Dell XPS and Latitude lines and Lenovo Thinkpads.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I agree

why not just run windows all the time then??? and how is it tedious my mac shutdown in 5 seconds turns on in 10 seconds if not less doesn’t seem like a big deal to me

until I turn on windows and it spends 20 minutes updating endless nonsense....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.