Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

forstall.jpg
After being forced out of Apple in 2012 following a major Maps debacle and clashes with other execs, former Apple Senior Vice President of iOS Software Scott
Forstall has kept a low profile, largely staying out of the public eye.

He hasn't taken on a major role at any company, but in late 2013, news surfaced suggesting he had been spending his time advising startups and becoming involved in philanthropical causes. As of today, news has leaked about one of the startups Scott Forstall is involved in -- Snapchat.

A leaked email from the late 2014 Sony Pictures hack discovered by TechCrunch suggests that Scott Forstall has been serving as an advisor to popular ephemeral photo sharing app Snapchat, earning himself .11% of the company's stock. Forstall's shares in the company vest over the course of 24 months and could be worth approximately $16.5 million at Snapchat's current $15 billion valuation.

When TechCrunch questioned Snapchat about its relationship with Scott Forstall, the company did not deny that he was an advisor, stating "we have a number of advisors, but we don't comment on the specifics of their relationship with the company."

Scott Forstall first fell in league with Apple in 1992, when he took on a job at Steve Jobs' company, NeXT. When NeXT was acquired by Apple in 1997, Forstall stayed on, working on the Macintosh user design team. He was promoted several times and in 2005, he began working on iOS. Forstall has been largely credited with the skeuomorphic design present in the early years of the operating system, an aesthetic that eventually led to disagreements with other executives at the company following Steve Jobs' death.

Article Link: Former iOS Chief Scott Forstall Serving as Snapchat Advisor

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
because he enjoys things that are available for a period of time before they suddenly get removed

Last edited:

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I wouldn't be found at any major companies, either, if I was worth over 40 million dollars (his apple stock alone).

A better place to find me in said scenario would be the 7th tee at 1 PM on a Tuesday.

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
Apple maps is still a disaster. How Apple can in good conscious promote it on devices such as their apple watch as a benefit is a mystery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple maps is still a disaster. How Apple can in good conscious promote it on devices such as their apple watch as a benefit is a mystery.

A disaster that works just fine if not better for many people.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
  1. How is snapchat worth $15bn?!
  2. So this is why the new snapchat app doesn't work without causing resprings on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I wouldn't be found at any major companies, either, if I was worth over 40 million dollars (his apple stock alone).

A better place to find me in said scenario would be the 7th tee at 1 PM on a Tuesday.

I feel sorry for you. By 1pm, I'd be finished my round and at the bar. :D

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
1) How is SC even worth that much?

2) Who cares about SF! He's got enough $ to live without working again. And if he wanted to, he can start up his own company.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
He was a jerk? How so? Did you work with him or hang out with him?

Scott Forstall: ****s up maps
Tim Cook: Apopogize
Scott Forstall: No

That's how he's a jerk

To put it another way, he was a pompous ass who refused to take responsibility for any wrongdoing.

Last edited:

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL

Can't upvote on mobile so I'll +1 here. This made me chuckle!

Never mind. I guess you can up vote after login.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Glad he's ok. One day he'll return to save Apple like Steve did. It was a mistake to make Cook the next CEO.

----------

iOS 8 was a mess. 8.3 however is not.

And no one apologized for that mess. Hmm. Cook and Ive are jerks? Oh, no, wait. Using your words they're "pompous asses".

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Glad he's ok. One day he'll return to save Apple like Steve did. It was a mistake to make Cook the next CEO.

----------

And no one apologized for that mess. Hmm. Cook and Ive are jerks? Oh, no, wait. Using your words they're "pompous asses".

iOS 8 definitely had a few more minor bugs than usual, but I don't think it warrants an apology. iOS 6 maps was a DISASTER though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.