Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today the Apple Watch went on display at Milan's Salone Del Mobile Design, with Apple SVP of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller and design consult Marc Newson in attendance. Now, it appears that Jony Ive also made it to the event, revealing exclusive sport band colors for the Apple Watch at the same time.

customband.png

Art enthusiast and philanthropist Umberta Gnutti Beretta posted a photo of a tray holding the new band colors on her Instagram account (via 9to5Mac). The colors include what appears to be two shades of blue, the custom red band seen earlier today and a range of "skin-tone" colors, going from darker browns to lighter tans and peaches. This marks the third time exclusive new Apple Watch band options have been seen in the wild, with the previous two being the custom red band and the custom gold link bracelet Karl Lagerfeld received.

Milan is known as one of the more important cities in the fashion world, and an important destination for Apple as it continues to court the fashion world to its brand new product. While it's unknown whether Apple will release these brand new and never-before-seen sport bands for the general public, it's been rumored that the Cupertino company is looking to introduce additional casing materials for the Apple Watch later this year, suggesting that new band options are also in the cards.

Article Link: Jony Ive Reveals Exclusive Apple Watch Sport Bands at Milan Design Week

James Manesh

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
I wonder why they decided to release the pink sportband over red. The latter seems like it would be more popular.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Listen Macrumours if you don't stop doing stories about this stupid watch I swear I'm going to cancel my subscription, I know you'll miss me.

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
When the sport band came out, I thought they were ugly. I tried one on, and it felt great. Now with these colors, I will definitely consider getting one.

jhts

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2015
So they diversify the emoji skin tones but not sport bands?

Guess we have to wait for the Apple Watch 8. The world is waiting.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
I've been holding out for the red band. Will go great with space grey! Now only if they would produce more metal bands in black! Milanese loop in black please!

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Umberta Gnutti poses with a tray of multi-colored phallic symbols. Who says Apple's industrial design is sterile?

tumtumtum

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Plastic

Apple's gotten people excited enough to pay £39 for a piece of plastic that probably costs £0.40 to manufacturer and about £0.001 to develop (amortised over the sales numbers). It's outrageous but you have to respect the brand loyalty they've built.

----------

Oh...and this probably explains J.J. Abrams' blue band.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Because those silicone/rubber bands are oh so fashion forward... :|

They kind of are. That white sport band is pretty distinctive, just like those white ipod earbuds became a fashion icon.

Not saying it should or should not be that way, but it is just how things are.

IIRC, Apple even ran a whole campaign around the white earbuds.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
What is exclusive about these band colours? Are they only available in Italy? Are they only available in very restricted quantities? What? Are they just 'new' colours rather than exclusive?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Holy **** that's a lot of bands! Release them though!!! I want that red one! Would look great with my Space Grey Sport. Apple you NEED to have my $50. I want it!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
There sure is a lot of exclusivity associated with the Apple Watch. The lavish Edition, custom-made editions for celebrities and now these exclusive band colours for whatever reason. Apple used to be a lot more inclusive with their products, but the Apple Watch is starting to change that image.

RayDonovan

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Looks like everyone's getting an apple watch these days. Except us commoners.

Those 27 likes tho...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 11.06.47 am.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 11.06.47 am.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,506

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Listen Macrumours if you don't stop doing stories about this stupid watch I swear I'm going to cancel my subscription, I know you'll miss me.

Ouch. Maybe you should just stop visiting the site. Especially if this is your attitude towards the products of the company that MacRumors reports on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.