Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
My cursor started lagging after I installed 10.10.3 (and I did a clean install) on my iMac 5K. I think it lags mostly after I load a page in Safari or Chrome - the lag is small, but noticeable. It doesn't happen often, but it is annoying. It also occurs on my Magic Trackpad and on my second Magic Mouse. It's as if the pointer drags behind my motion, struggling to keep up. It lasts for about 5-10 seconds, then it is gone and works normally for a while. As I said, it usually happens after I load a page, but I can't be 100% sure this is what causes it.

Also, it doesn't happen on non-BT devices, like my wired Logitech mouse or my Wacom Intuos tablet - they don't lag at all, so I'm guessing it's a BT issue. The BT keyboard works normally, but I'm not sure I would notice any "lag" there anyway.

I tried un-pairing and re-pairing devices, switching BT on and off, resetting the NVRAM, changing my wifi parameters (because I thought there was some interference, don't ask) - nothing seems to work. The funny thing is, I don't think I noticed it after I installed 10.10.3 the first time (but I could be wrong there as well, maybe it was present), but only after I did a clean install (which I did for completely different reasons). I don't have any special BT or mouse software.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I had the exact same issue a week or so ago on a my iMac (which had a fresh install of 10.10.3). There was a supplemental update to 10.10.3 a couple of days ago and whether or not that has a fix, I've not seen the issue since I updated.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I had the exact same issue a week or so ago on a my iMac (which had a fresh install of 10.10.3). There was a supplemental update to 10.10.3 a couple of days ago and whether or not that has a fix, I've not seen the issue since I updated.

Alas, it didn't fix it for me. But thanks for the info!

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Alas, it didn't fix it for me. But thanks for the info!

Oh, that's a shame. Hmm. I'm trying to think if there was anything else I did. I think I might have disconnected and re-paired all of my Bluetooth devices but I imagine you've already tried this. Also, have you definitely had this issue when using Safari? I was using only Chrome during the week I had the issues and I know that Chrome 42 came out at around the same time that supplemental update did. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Good luck!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Try this, if it doesn't help it won't hurt.

Disconnect all USB/TB devices. Turn off the Mac. Perform an SMC reset (just unplug the Mac for 10 seconds or so). Start it back up with all the USB/TB devices still disconnected.

See if that changes anything. I had a similar issue with other bluetooth input devices and that fixed it. Don't know if it will fix your issue but its worth a shot.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Try this, if it doesn't help it won't hurt.

Disconnect all USB/TB devices. Turn off the Mac. Perform an SMC reset (just unplug the Mac for 10 seconds or so). Start it back up with all the USB/TB devices still disconnected.

See if that changes anything. I had a similar issue with other bluetooth input devices and that fixed it. Don't know if it will fix your issue but its worth a shot.

I did as you suggested (completely forgot about trying the SMC reset, and I also disconnected my USB and Thunderbolt devices) and I actually don't see any lag now. I tried several actions that previously caused it to appear, and I cannot recreate it. Perhaps it's too early to tell and it returns, but so far so good! Whether it returns or not, thank you!

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Good luck!

Yeah, I definitely had the issue while using Safari, but thank you very much, anyway!

Thank you both so much for the fast response and advice!

justin77

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
I did as you suggested (completely forgot about trying the SMC reset, and I also disconnected my USB and Thunderbolt devices) and I actually don't see any lag now. I tried several actions that previously caused it to appear, and I cannot recreate it. Perhaps it's too early to tell and it returns, but so far so good! Whether it returns or not, thank you!

Yeah, I definitely had the issue while using Safari, but thank you very much, anyway!

Yeah I've actually noticed that safari causes an issue. It's a recurring theme with Safari. For a long time I had stopped using safari because some processes within it would just hang and cause my computer to lag unbearably. This happened even with clean installs. Then when Yosemite launched, I was able to use safari again. Looks like it's back to its old ways haha.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Yeah I've actually noticed that safari causes an issue. It's a recurring theme with Safari. For a long time I had stopped using safari because some processes within it would just hang and cause my computer to lag unbearably. This happened even with clean installs. Then when Yosemite launched, I was able to use safari again. Looks like it's back to its old ways haha.

Nope, in this case it wasn't Safari, as the same issue occurred with Chrome as well. In fact, I'm not sure it was browser related in any way, but I did manage to invoke lag by surfing on both browsers (perhaps other actions would give the same result).

A SMC reset seems to have fixed my issue. I don't know about Safari in general, but I'm not having any major problems with it in Yosemite. It is very fast and smooth and seems reliable. To be honest, I can't remember if I had these problems on Mavericks or Mountain Lion - but I've heard stories :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I'm glad that fixed it for you.

Disconnecting the USB/TB is something I read online for another bluetooth problem. The SMC reset alone could have fixed it but the issue hasn't come back for me to test which I'm completely fine with.

justin77

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
I'm glad that fixed it for you.

Disconnecting the USB/TB is something I read online for another bluetooth problem. The SMC reset alone could have fixed it but the issue hasn't come back for me to test which I'm completely fine with.

Actually, the post about Safari not being the issue is correct. I had already done an SMC reset and it hadn't solved the problem. I just did another and so far don't have the issue again. I'll wait and see though. Who knows what may or may not come up in a bit of time.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Have you had any luck with this? I downloaded the "iMac Graphics Update" thinking it might be related as it's only for certain models but I just started getting the lag again with my Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Right now, I have only Chrome open so it's nothing to do with RAM, CPU usage, etc. This is getting pretty annoying now.

justin77

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
Have you had any luck with this? I downloaded the "iMac Graphics Update" thinking it might be related as it's only for certain models but I just started getting the lag again with my Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Right now, I have only Chrome open so it's nothing to do with RAM, CPU usage, etc. This is getting pretty annoying now.

After resetting my SMC and avoiding using Safari, I seem to no longer have the issue. I don't know if others are finding this to be the solution or not. Anyone want to chime in?

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
After resetting my SMC and avoiding using Safari, I seem to no longer have the issue. I don't know if others are finding this to be the solution or not. Anyone want to chime in?

Hmm. I never experienced the issue when using Safari; I was always using Chrome. I've also tried resetting my SMC and PRAM but the issue eventually came back. The latest thing I've tried doing is removing the connection to the Magic Mouse/Trackpad and nuking the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file in the top-level Library/Preferences (not your user one). It's automatically created again when you toggle Bluetooth but I also restarted the iMac. I re-paired the two devices and so far everything is working as expected. That said, I know this is a tricky little issue and I've had times recently where I thought it'd sorted itself out but it eventually came back.

I'd like to add that this iMac (see spec below) had a fresh install of 10.10.3 a couple of weeks ago and there are still very few third-party applications installed. The main ones I've been using are Chrome, Sublime Text 3, iTerm 2, OmniFocus, 1Password, Wunderlist, Dropbox, and Alfred. I'll report back in a day or two.

rnbarg

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
Fixed with Update

I installed OSXUpd10.10.3Supp-2 and that completely solved the problems. There is no longer any jerkiness with the Wireless Mouse MX Master running in BT mode

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
On my iMac 27 late 2012, the only way to fix these issue (since 10.10.2) is to disable Handoff feature on all the accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.