Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm curious as to what these spots might be. It's a new phone, so I want to make sure it's not an issue. I don't have a way to circle the spot, but it's obvious:

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm curious as to whT these spots might be. It's a new phone, so I want to make sure it's not an issue. I don't have a way to circle the spot, but it's obvious:

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/jjk454ss/image.jpg1_zpsmzfpcwgx.jpg]Image[/URL]

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/jjk454ss/image.jpg1_zpsj7pyugoi.jpg]Image[/URL]

Although they don't look like lense flair, do they appear in pictures without the sun? Other than that it's probably a fault in the sensor. As its new, take it back to where you purchased it from.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Although they don't look like lense flair, do they appear in pictures without the sun? Other than that it's probably a fault in the sensor. As its new, take it back to where you purchased it from.

Just with the sun from what I can tell. Haven't taken many pics yet, but don't see an issue with others:

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
It is definitely a reflection in the lens system and its cover glass. This type of reflection, not true "optical flare", is common with very bright light sources and lenses covered with a flat filter or protective cover glass. The reflections will be 180 degrees from the light source and roughly the same distance from the center of the image as the light source.

When these occur with regular cameras that have a "protective UV filter" mounted the best fix is removing the filter. When that's not an option (e.g. not discovered until later, shot with a cell phone or tablet were the cover glass is permanently fixed) the fix is retouching.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
It is definitely a reflection in the lens system and its cover glass. This type of reflection, not true "optical flare", is common with very bright light sources and lenses covered with a flat filter or protective cover glass. The reflections will be 180 degrees from the light source and roughly the same distance from the center of the image as the light source.

When these occur with regular cameras that have a "protective UV filter" mounted the best fix is removing the filter. When that's not an option (e.g. not discovered until later, shot with a cell phone or tablet were the cover glass is permanently fixed) the fix is retouching.

Thanks, this is the info I'm looking for.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA

Your answer is "spot-on"

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
100% just lens flare. You're shooting directly into the sun in both of those photos, you've got to expect lens flaring like that. Due to it being a small phone lens, the flares are tiny and you could remove them in seconds with most image editing softwares.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
All my iphone pictures have that issue when a strong light source is involved. As others have already stated it's a reflection from the cover glass. Probably the worst I've seen in a iPhone. My previous models didn't have such a strong issue with it, but it is easy to remove. Enjoy your new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.