Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
I'm assuming, due to delays with Intel's release of the Broadwell chip and Apple's delivery of the nMB to the customer, there is going to be a very short time before a refresh is available.
Of course this is assuming Intel will uphold the Skylake schedule (no reason why not since they have worked out the 14nm manufacturing.)
Thoughts? I'm really on the fence for picking one of these new machines up...

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
If Apple follows their normal refresh cycle we will see an update next year. The only laptop that is expected to see an upgrade this year is the 15" MBP to the new processor and trackpad.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If Apple follows their normal refresh cycle we will see an update next year. The only laptop that is expected to see an upgrade this year is the 15" MBP to the new processor and trackpad.

I agree with this. I do not think we will see any macbook upgrade, outside the 15" pro, until next year.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You will not see an updated 15" until early '16 with skylakes delays.

I think you and the other guys are correct. That's gotta be depressing for 15" fans. :(

Back to the OP, I really would be amazed if we see an updated rMB this summer or this fall (2015). Never say never, though.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
That's gotta be depressing for 15" fans. :(

Back to the OP, I really would be amazed if we see an updated rMB this summer or this fall (2015). Never say never, though.

Not really for anyone who purchased a 15" this first quarter. It's actually a bit of a relief if you think about it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think you and the other guys are correct. That's gotta be depressing for 15" fans. :(

true, they did burn people with the iPad 3. What was it, 4-5 months later the iPad 4 came out.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Not really for anyone who purchased a 15" this first quarter. It's actually a bit of a relief if you think about it.

Actually, you're right - unless someone's got a need that's not yet taken care of or just has a bad case of technolust. I know that in the photo field, I've actually been very happy that with a few exceptions sensor tech has really not advanced much in the last few years. Leaves more free cash for things like...computers. ;)

----------

true, they did burn people with the iPad 3. What was it, 4-5 months later the iPad 4 came out.

I was one of those. :mad:

----------

Thanks everyone!
I'll roll the dice and hope for stock to show up locally soon.

Check it out in the store. If you need, or want, what it offers, it's brilliant. If you want a general purpose laptop, it might not be the best choice. I'm loving the one I've got, but it's not the answer to everyone's needs.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Actually, you're right - unless someone's got a need that's not yet taken care of or just has a bad case of technolust. I know that in the photo field, I've actually been very happy that with a few exceptions sensor tech has really not advanced much in the last few years. Leaves more free cash for things like...computers. ;)

----------

I was one of those. :mad:

----------

Check it out in the store. If you need, or want, what it offers, it's brilliant. If you want a general purpose laptop, it might not be the best choice. I'm loving the one I've got, but it's not the answer to everyone's needs.

Thanks. Yes, this is to supplement my workhorse desktop. I am looking to stash in my camera bag for casual Lightroom while on the road. Not the most cost effective option, but the build is unmatched.
Plus it gives me OS X for my casual dev needs - the VMware hack on windows is a bit painful.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
What will Skylake bring, and when is it likely to launch?

What are the major advantages of Skylake for the Core-M architecture (aka Skylake-Y)?

I'm guessing it will be a bit more power efficient, so longer battery life, and have better graphics capability. Is there anything else that it likely to improve a 2nd generation rMB?

Has anyone seen any more precise launch information other than "2H 2015"? In what order with the CPU family be released? Is Core-M likely to be the first cab off the rank?

I think Skylake will be officially launched in June / July (co-incides with Intel conference), but we may not see any availability until Sep / Oct. Apple typically doesn't update immediately, so it's conceivable to see a Nov / Dec rMB v2.

I think some of it will depend on how well Surface Pro 4 does, which will presumably have Skylake and Windows 10. Sometimes Apple takes a "wait and see" approach, but they would be foolish to avoid a pre-holiday update if other major vendors have already released Skylake ultrabooks.

I'm on the fence regarding the rMB. I think the battery life is just a little bit short to be an all-day machine (leave the power supply at home). If they could get to 10-12 hours, it would well & try replace the MBAs.

Queen6

macrumors G4
What are the major advantages of Skylake for the Core-M architecture (aka Skylake-Y)?

I'm guessing it will be a bit more power efficient, so longer battery life, and have better graphics capability. Is there anything else that it likely to improve a 2nd generation rMB?

Has anyone seen any more precise launch information other than "2H 2015"? In what order with the CPU family be released? Is Core-M likely to be the first cab off the rank?

I think Skylake will be officially launched in June / July (co-incides with Intel conference), but we may not see any availability until Sep / Oct. Apple typically doesn't update immediately, so it's conceivable to see a Nov / Dec rMB v2.

I think some of it will depend on how well Surface Pro 4 does, which will presumably have Skylake and Windows 10. Sometimes Apple takes a "wait and see" approach, but they would be foolish to avoid a pre-holiday update if other major vendors have already released Skylake ultrabooks.

I'm on the fence regarding the rMB. I think the battery life is just a little bit short to be an all-day machine (leave the power supply at home). If they could get to 10-12 hours, it would well & try replace the MBAs.

Skylake will likely bring Thunderbolt to the new MacBook, strong bump in graphics capability, minor increases in performance and power consumption.

Far as I know Microsoft and Intel are on target for a Q3 release of SP-4 on the Skylake platform, other major PC vendors will follow suit in quick time. I expect Apple to release revision 2 of the MacBook no later than Q1 2016. There has also been some speculation that the new MacBook was originally slated for release on Slylake, however it was pushed forward to Broadwell due to Apple not wanting to be perceived as being behind with Core M, fan-less systems etc.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Skylake will likely bring Thunderbolt to the new MacBook, strong bump in graphics capability, minor increases in performance and power consumption.

You mean apple adding a second port to the MacBook? I really don't see that happening. Personally, as much as I like Thunderbolt, I don't see this interface being successful, the rest of the computing industry seems to be happy with USB.

Apple themselves continue the mantra of no wires, (at least in marketing this machine), so I don't see them adding any ports to future models. Just my $.02

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks. Yes, this is to supplement my workhorse desktop. I am looking to stash in my camera bag for casual Lightroom while on the road. Not the most cost effective option, but the build is unmatched.
Plus it gives me OS X for my casual dev needs - the VMware hack on windows is a bit painful.

I posted a thread with some Lightroom file ops that you might find interesting. TLDR: the rMB was only 20% behind my rMBP over a ~half hour task (I compared 1:1 preview build and export).

Queen6

macrumors G4
You mean apple adding a second port to the MacBook? I really don't see that happening. Personally, as much as I like Thunderbolt, I don't see this interface being successful, the rest of the computing industry seems to be happy with USB.

Apple themselves continue the mantra of no wires, (at least in marketing this machine), so I don't see them adding any ports to future models. Just my $.02

Sklylake brings Intel`s Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller with a new 3mm connector. I would be very surprised if Apple did not implement it into their portables, especially as it enable system charging very similar to USB C and is backwards compatible. Is just a matter of time before we see a new "Thunderbolt " display and MacBook is prime candidate in my eyes.

Thunderbolt-3.jpg

If Intel get the cost of the controller down it will help matters a lot

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not denying the sense of adding it, but I don't see this fitting within Apple's stated direction, if they could get away from any connectors, they would. The MBPs will continue to see TB, but I'm not entirely sold we'll see apple add a second port on the rMB.

----------

Skylake will supposedly allow Thunderbolt over the USB Type-C connector.

So are you saying the current connector could be used either for USB or TB? In that case, I amend my stance to say that its possible :)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I mis-interpreted an article I read. I thought Thunderbolt was going to be added to USB-C, but it isn't. Disregard my earlier post.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'm not denying the sense of adding it, but I don't see this fitting within Apple's stated direction, if they could get away from any connectors, they would. The MBPs will continue to see TB, but I'm not entirely sold we'll see apple add a second port on the rMB.

Personally I would be amazed if they don't, given the premium nature of the MacBook. The Thunderbolt display would effectively be Apple`s MacBook dock. I personally believe that the MacBook was always initially intended for a Skylake release, however for commercial reason Apple bumped up the release to Broadwell.

Nor will it be the first time that Apple have change direction on a product, not that I see this as new paradigm, more an extension of what exists.

Q-6

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
Personally I would be amazed if they don't, given the premium nature of the MacBook. The Thunderbolt display would effectively be Apple`s MacBook dock. I personally believe that the MacBook was always initially intended for a Skylake release, however for commercial reason Apple bumped up the release to Broadwell.

Nor will it be the first time that Apple have change direction on a product, not that I see this as new paradigm, more an extension of what exists.

Q-6

I would be shocked if they did. I see them adding a second USB C port if they add ports. Thunderbolt is very, very, very niche. USB C may be niche today, but it will be common soon.

And no, I don't think that this was intended for Skylake. I think it was delayed by Broadwell.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I'm a little too lazy to go look it up but has Apple ever updated any model laptop in less than a year? If so, I don't think it happens often. I would be very surprised to see any updates before the end of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.