Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stacycris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
I just ordered a 21.5" iMac yesterday to replace my 2009 MBP (which has gotten VERY slow on me). Should I cancel the order and wait to see if a new version is announced at WWDC? Not sure what the probability of that happening is...but either way a new computer will be a major upgrade for me! Just wanted to get opinions; what would you do?

Thanks!

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
if you need a basic computer for things like Internet and e-mail, I would say just keep it. If you are demanding user, waiting for a refresh may pay off.

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
There won't be a new one at WWDC. 21.5" version of Retina at best, and I doubt they'd even bother to announce that. New one will likely be in the fall, at the iPhone or iPad conference.

If you really need it now go ahead and keep it. It will serve you well. But if you can squeeze more juice out of it, waiting is sometimes worthwhile just to get the most for your money.

KiXeR

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
Why not? Broadwell will be out and latest rumors are that Skylake will be released in June, K-line CPUs (desktop). http://www.pcfrm.com/intel-core-i7-6700k-haziran-ayinda-geliyor/

There won't be a new one at WWDC. 21.5" version of Retina at best, and I doubt they'd even bother to announce that. New one will likely be in the fall, at the iPhone or iPad conference.

If you really need it now go ahead and keep it. It will serve you well. But if you can squeeze more juice out of it, waiting is sometimes worthwhile just to get the most for your money.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Why not? Broadwell will be out and latest rumors are that Skylake will be released in June, K-line CPUs (desktop). http://www.pcfrm.com/intel-core-i7-6700k-haziran-ayinda-geliyor/

Wrt technology you are always running behind from the moment you bought something.

WWDC is a software conference. I don't expect new iMacs in June, because the introduction of Skylake will likely also bring DDR4, maybe faster Thunderbolt and (bigger maybe) USB type-C connectors.

More likely is an intro in September/October when also the new iPhone and iPads are announced.

I also think Apple should stop shipping iMacs with a regular HDD by default and only do > 1 TB fusion or SSD. Preferably NVMM SSDs only. Charging $500/EUR. 500 for 500 GB and $1000/EUR. 1000 for 1 TB is way too much.

KiXeR

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
If we look back https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iMac . There have been releases in June 2010 and May 2011, it´s not impossible that we´ll see updates in June/July. Non retina iMacs run @ old hardware and needs to be updated.

Wrt technology you are always running behind from the moment you bought something.

WWDC is a software conference. I don't expect new iMacs in June, because the introduction of Skylake will likely also bring DDR4, maybe faster Thunderbolt and (bigger maybe) USB type-C connectors.

More likely is an intro in September/October when also the new iPhone and iPads are announced.

I also think Apple should stop shipping iMacs with a regular HDD by default and only do > 1 TB fusion or SSD. Preferably NVMM SSDs only. Charging $500/EUR. 500 for 500 GB and $1000/EUR. 1000 for 1 TB is way too much.

stacycris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015

A very good point! No matter when you buy something, the next big thing is just around the corner :)

That was one reason I thought about waiting. I decided to upgrade to the 1TB Fusion. I feel like when Apple does update the iMacs (I would assume this year, whether summer or fall) Fusion will be the default. And if they keep their same pricing strategy I probably could have saved myself $200.

if you need a basic computer for things like Internet and e-mail, I would say just keep it. If you are demanding user, waiting for a refresh may pay off.

I'm a pretty basic user. I really don't do any gaming and hardly any photo/video editing. So while waiting for the next release would give me the better computer, I may not really even get that much more benefit out of it.

Thanks all for the replies so far! I am thinking I will stick with it and not regret it. I suppose I still have 14 days to return it once I receive it, but I don't think that will be necessary.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I'm a pretty basic user. I really don't do any gaming and hardly any photo/video editing. So while waiting for the next release would give me the better computer, I may not really even get that much more benefit out of it.

Thanks all for the replies so far! I am thinking I will stick with it and not regret it. I suppose I still have 14 days to return it once I receive it, but I don't think that will be necessary.

If you're a pretty basic user I would re-install the OS and maybe add in additional RAM if the MBP isn't maxed out. Look for reasons as to why your MBP is slow.

It's true the current iMac would be fine for you but I'd hate to skip out on a Retina model since the computer screen is basically a major thing and to skip out on it isn't worth it IMO if there is a good chance of a release this year. I would definitely hold off if you can until the fall at the very least.

stacycris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
It's true the current iMac would be fine for you but I'd hate to skip out on a Retina model since the computer screen is basically a major thing and to skip out on it isn't worth it IMO if there is a good chance of a release this year. I would definitely hold off if you can until the fall at the very least.

Yes, a potential Retina display would probably be the one thing that would steer me towards waiting. I'm sure the displays on the current iMacs are quite nice, but can't compare to Retina! My iMac has shipped as of last night, so I still may decide to return it once it gets here next week. But if I keep it (leaning that way) I think I will be still be quite happy with my new machine. Of course I probably would also be face-palming in a few months if Apple updates the 21.5" with Retina display :)

Thanks for the advice!

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013

The updated MacBook Airs at the 2013 WWDC and unveiled the Mac Pro in 2013 too, completely possible.

PseudoPacifist

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Oregon
I just ordered a 21.5" iMac yesterday to replace my 2009 MBP (which has gotten VERY slow on me). Should I cancel the order and wait to see if a new version is announced at WWDC? Not sure what the probability of that happening is...but either way a new computer will be a major upgrade for me! Just wanted to get opinions; what would you do?

Thanks!

Dude get the 27" its $300.00 off at best buy right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-27-imac-all-in-one-computer-8-gb-memory-1-tb-hard-drive/5852008.p?id=1218695416606&skuId=5852008

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003

PseudoPacifist

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Oregon
Im so tempted to get that imac but then i realized that the standard 27 imac hasn't been updated since september 2013 so that is technology at least 2 years behind even though its being sold as new. The price is good but im leaning towards waiting.

Yeah I hear you...I hate buying something that will be outdated in a few months. I would buy the 27" iMac if I could use it as an additional monitor for any PC - but apparently you can't. You have to have thunderbolt to thunderbolt for it to work. Which means you can only use the 27" iMac as a secondary display for another Mac/macbook with a thunderbolt port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.