Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumid

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Whenever I pull my hdmi chord it it says disk was improperly ejected. Ive always assumed it was just my external HDD cable glitching out. But this time I was looking at my external HD and the light never blinked at all.. The Disk ejected improperly error came up right in sync with pulling my hdmi chord out.

I was aware you needed to eject HDMI, ive just been yanking it out for a year. How do I eject it? Is it important?

Late 2013 15' Macbook Pro Retina

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Whenever I pull my hdmi chord it it says disk was improperly ejected. Ive always assumed it was just my external HDD cable glitching out. But this time I was looking at my external HD and the light never blinked at all.. The Disk ejected improperly error came up right in sync with pulling my hdmi chord out.

I was aware you needed to eject HDMI, ive just been yanking it out for a year. How do I eject it? Is it important?

Late 2013 15' Macbook Pro Retina

Does it still say that when you eject it without an external drive attached?

Yumid

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2014
Does it still say that when you eject it without an external drive attached?

Thats the thing, i dont eject it. Should i be ejecting my hdmi like its a hard drive? Is there a way to eject it versus just pulling it out?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When you insert your HDMI cable, do you get a device that mounts as a storage device? Do you see a storage device in your Disk Utility?
If you do not, how do you think you would "eject" a device, if there is no device to eject?
What OTHER (not HDMI) devices do you have attached to your MBPro?
What, exactly, is attached by HDMI? TV? Something else, like an audio amp?
Maybe that device needs to be powered OFF before you can disconnect safely?

I have read that you can try sleeping your MBPro, then pull the HDMI connector. Not sure if that will help, but it is something that you can try.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
This is truly strange. I have the same model but I never had a message like that, even under bootcamp. HDMI is just video and audio (and ethernet in the newer cables) so it shouldn't need to be ejected first.

It kind of sounds like there is a small surge across the USB ports that resets them every time you unplug HDMI. Can you remove all USB cables and see if it complains about the HDMI when you unplug it?

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Thats the thing, i dont eject it. Should i be ejecting my hdmi like its a hard drive? Is there a way to eject it versus just pulling it out?

No i mean when you pull the HDMI without there being the external attached, does it still say Disk improperly ejected?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Open System Profiler/System Information, and go to the "USB" section.

See if there are any devices listed you don't recognize (especially drives.)

If there aren't, then unplug your HDMI cable, and immediately press Cmd-R on your keyboard to refresh System Information. See if anything disappeared.

Also, just to make absolutely certain, this is actually an HDMI cable, not a Thunderbolt cable, right?

Last possibility - does your monitor have USB ports? Are you using a USB connection to your monitor (using your monitor as a USB hub,) in addition to the HDMI connection? If so, it may be that disconnecting the HDMI causes the monitor to temporarily interrupt the USB connection, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.