Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populism

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Hi. The RAM in my mid-2009 MacBook Air has failed. I knows this because I'd seen various symptoms for a while, and now at start-up I only get the three beeps which, by my research, denotes RAM failure.

I have a newer Mac. I am happy to let the 2009 go. But I would like to be able to get the photos and Word documents off the dead Air. I am trying to avoid paying Apple to replace the RAM.

Is there a way to extract the hard drive content? Can I do some sort of external RAM boot? Can I disassemble the Air, pull out the hard drive and then somehow get the content off directly? (I don't mind risking breaking the Air. Just need the hard drive content.)

These are probably dumb questions but I know little about this, obviously.

Thank you for your feedback.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Ok, I have a 2009 MBA as well, but no RAM problems (thank the gods...).

There is no way to have it boot as an external disk, like you could with TB on newer MBA's (or older Powerbooks with firewire or SCSI).

You can remove the drive and hook it up with an external drive set-up. Warning...it is a 1.8" SSD, so you need to find a "mini" SSD adaptor, but that isn't too hard...I can't remember what I bought, but a quick search on google or amazon should give you what is currently available, with reviews.

Opening up the MBA isn't tough...removing the drive isn't too bad, esp. if you aren't concerned about using the MBA after the transplant!

FYI, with an external drive enclosure, the old MBA drive would make a nifty portable back-up drive.

Populism

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Ok, I have a 2009 MBA as well, but no RAM problems (thank the gods...).

There is no way to have it boot as an external disk, like you could with TB on newer MBA's (or older Powerbooks with firewire or SCSI).

You can remove the drive and hook it up with an external drive set-up. Warning...it is a 1.8" SSD, so you need to find a "mini" SSD adaptor, but that isn't too hard...I can't remember what I bought, but a quick search on google or amazon should give you what is currently available, with reviews.

Opening up the MBA isn't tough...removing the drive isn't too bad, esp. if you aren't concerned about using the MBA after the transplant!

FYI, with an external drive enclosure, the old MBA drive would make a nifty portable back-up drive.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid an external boot wasn't possible, so it looks like I'll have an adventure with dissembly and pulling the drive. I think I'm up for it.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Best of luck with your adventure. I know it's beating a dead horse, but put some type of backup scheme in place for the next time. And there will be a next time...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
While I'm at it, here is the link to the iFixit guide for this MBA:

Link to MBA 2009 disassembly

It is fairly easy. I don't recall needing to take the battery out...

Note, that, with the darn black screws, you should make sure you have a bright light/nice work area, so you don't strip any of them...

Populism

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I got the drive out and hopefully show an image of it below.

Again - I'm a novice. A final question if I may, and thanks for not giving me too hard a time about my newbie-ness.

This is HDD, correct? This is not a SSD, right? So, I need to get an adapter for a 1.8 SATA HDD, right?

I keep running searches for ones but the drives they show all look like SSDs. Thanks for any advice.

I think that if you click on the image it takes you to the page with a bigger view.

Thanks!

drive.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I got the drive out and hopefully show an image of it below.

Again - I'm a novice. A final question if I may, and thanks for not giving me too hard a time about my newbie-ness.

This is HDD, correct? This is not a SSD, right? So, I need to get an adapter for a 1.8 SATA HDD, right?

I keep running searches for ones but the drives they show all look like SSDs. Thanks for any advice.

I think that if you click on the image it takes you to the page with a bigger view.

Thanks!

url]

Doesn't matter if it's a hard drive or an SSD. The important part is how it's connected. From the picture it looks like it's still in some kind of carrier. If you remove it from that and take a picture of the connector(s) then people should be able to help you out.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Actually, the connectors are the same, whether it is an HDD or SSD, it is an SATA type connector, BUT (and a big BUT) it is a 1.8" drive, and not a 2.5" drive, so you can't just stick it into a regular enclosure or use a regular cable, you gotta buy the 1.8" size (which are readily available on Amazon or other sites).

Populism

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Thank you all. I think I've got it now. Really appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.