Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Thanks to the time difference, a few Australian Apple Watch customers began receiving their orders as early as yesterday afternoon here in the United States. Because of this, smartphone website FoneFox decided to put the Apple Watch through a variety of waterproof tests to measure just how much moisture the Watch could take before failing to function.

Screenshot-277-800x421.png
The first test is a basic splash test followed by a five minute simulated shower complete with shampoo and soap, at the end of which the Apple Watch comes out noticeably unscathed and completely responsive to FoneFox's inputs on both its touch interface and digital crown. It should be pointed out that all of FoneFox's tests were completed with a 38mm Apple Watch Sport. Although it's hard to tell how different models of the Watch will size up to similar testing, it's clear after today's tests that most models in the Sport range should see similar results as FoneFox's.

After finding "absolutely no issues whatsoever" with the Watch after the shower test, FoneFox decided to place the Apple Watch Sport completely submerged in a bucket for another five minutes. After the Watch produced similarly impressive results, the website took the device for a swim in a pool. Despite obvious responsive issues when placed underwater, after a 15 minute swim the wearable remained as functional for FoneFox as it was when taken out of the box.

Apple's estimation of the waterproof rating for Apple Watch has most likely been underplayed, as most technology is, due to certain legal and business reasons. The company gave the wrist-worn device a water resistance rating of IPX7, suggesting it to be splash and water resistant but not completely waterproof. Tim Cook even claimed he wore his own personal Apple Watch in the shower back in February, pointing at a better-than-expected waterproof rating for the device ahead of its launch.

Article Link: Apple Watch Proves 'More Waterproof Than Anticipated' in New Test

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've found that Apple products generally do handle water well. Even the iPhone was able to be submerged for 30-45 seconds without and signs of damage.

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
IPX7: Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). Test duration: 30 minutes
The lowest point of enclosures with a height less than 850 mm is located 1000 mm below the surface of the water, the highest point of enclosures with a height equal to or greater than 850 mm is located 150 mm below the surface of the water

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
At least I won't feel as anxious if I get caught in a blinding rain storm. Swimming though, not gonna do it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
15 min swim is impressive but won't satisfy the "but I need a watch to survive a few laps across the English Chanel" folks. :D

WRX-SRQ

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Tallahassee
Having worn a Pebble for over a year, into the shower, I was afraid that I might forget I have the Apple Watch on when I step into the show. At least now I know if it happens and I noticed it, I can quickly take it off and place it to the side with no worries.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I don't care if it is more water resistant than expected. I'm still not doing it.

For one thing, I can't stand the feeling of water underneath rings, bracelets, etc. Ugh.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
You know,that's pretty good on apples part. giving is low expectations........ Leaves us impressed.

PS.... Why is the blue sport always the guinea pig? Didn't ifixit use a blue sport too?

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Wow, I honestly have to give credit where credit is due. Apple got down with the Apple Watch and the new Macbook. I was blown away by this news and shocked at how small the s1 chip is. I am not interested in either products yet, but one cannot help but admire the engineering of these brilliant products. Great Job Apple....:):apple:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Similar to my Nike FuelBand, it was technically "water resistant" as opposed to "water proof".

Was fine in the shower and swimming for over a year until one day, it had secretly rusted through and then died.

Don't swim with dolphins whilst wearing an Apple Watch.

johnnyenvy

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Wow, I honestly have to give credit where credit is due. Apple got down with the Apple Watch and the new Macbook. I was blown away by this news and shocked at how small the s1 chip is. I am not interested in either products yet, but one cannot help but admire the engineering of these brilliant products. Great Job Apple....:):apple:

Don't expect the new macbook to work so well underwater though ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You know,that's pretty good on apples part. giving is low expectations........ Leaves us impressed.

PS.... Why is the blue sport always the guinea pig? Didn't ifixit use a blue sport too?

I would imagine Apple's legal department has something to do with this.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I've got an Airplay speaker set up near my bathroom. Was hoping I could use the Apple Watch to DJ my music while I sing in the shower and control my podcasts. This seals the deal!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Under promise, over deliver. Classic (and classy) Apple move.

Or you know - under promise and avoid a lawsuit for making a claim that gets tested and fails.

Note I am not criticizing Apple. I just think that most companies would err on the side of caution - especially with waterproofing/electronics. Better to be safe than have products fail - or worse, cause injury.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Good to know about splashing (washing hands, raining, etc) but I can't ever see myself taking a shower or jumping in a pool with a watch on :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.