Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ojanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Hello everyone,
first of all the reason I'm posting here is that none of the fixes from the Windows post actually helped.

I use Mac Pro, late 2013 6 core, 16 GB.
My problem started after my Windows partition got wrecked. I use mainly Adobe package for my work that is exclusively on my Os X partition.
However, i use windows 8.1 in my free time playing some games. Since i do not care much about windows i let them rot until they refused to boot completely.

Actually what happened was, i got a blue screen and when windows started option "repair computer" i made a mistake obviously by shutting MP down with the power button. After my MP refused to boot in both windows and os x.

That left me with only 1 choice that was restating PRAM. After i finally booted os x, immediately on boot i realised that boot was sluggish. So i wiped out the whole disk and restored it with TM. From that point everything was back to normal os x wise.

Next step was to reinstall windows 8.1, which in every try gave me error 0X0000005 at 0% of the installation. And it happened every time no matter what i did. I even tried another version of windows which gave me another error
which was saying to me that this is not the GPD partition format. After i fixed that error with disc utility, same error came back (0X0000005) at 0% of the installation again.

Only thing that i did not try so far is to use different usb if that makes any difference.

Please guys help, my work is not suffering, but my mental health is.

PS
I added sudo gpt -r -vv show disk0 information if it is of any help

Screen_Shot_2015_04_24_at_16_39_05.png

Thanks in advance,
b

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Only way to wipe out the partitions totally is from another drive usually.

Windows can be 'moved' to a Thunderbolt drive and many prefer doing that, then using Boot Camp Assistant again to remove (delete) the partition that Windows occupied.

Paragon Software can help install, clone and restore Windows but not when on a mixed Boot Camp MBR partition. WinClone can. But longer more tedious.

Do you have an OS X installer USB? actually anything you can boot from can be used as a means to a clean install.

Disk Utility alone generally will not work with Windows. Some people use the terminal though to edit and make partition changes.

Once you have Windows up and running, I would make a system restore image or clone it to another drive, one that is devoted 100% to Windows which Paragon can do and work with, and leave the internal SSD to OS X alone.

ojanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Ok, so if u understood correctly, i will be able to install windows after i wipe out whole disk when booted from os X installer USB?
And after I've done that, its better if i move windows to a thunderbolt drive, that is clear.

So what i understood is that even though i removed windows partition with the bootcamp, when i make a new one it is still ”poisoned” with windows crap which is preventing me from installing them?

Ok, im gonna make an os x usb and let you know if thats working. I hope it will.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, so if u understood correctly, i will be able to install windows after i wipe out whole disk when booted from os X installer USB?
And after I've done that, its better if i move windows to a thunderbolt drive, that is clear.

So what i understood is that even though i removed windows partition with the bootcamp, when i make a new one it is still ”poisoned” with windows crap which is preventing me from installing them?

Ok, im gonna make an os x usb and let you know if thats working. I hope it will.

In a perfect world, perfect partitions, Boot Camp Assistant to create and remove partitions is fine.

Upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite (happened with older OS upgrades too) could shift and renumber partitions and cause a temporary problem with finding and booting from Windows (thank Apple for testing Windows partitions on upgraded installs).

I think your doing it fine and will get there. Post what happens next. And then look at moving Windows and having a recovery image. WinClone works from the OS X side and uses a Disk Utility type sparse disk image for its work.

ojanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
So i made install osx usb (10.10.3), i booted on it and with disk utility i wiped out whole disk.

After i restored TM i made a bootcamp partition and restarted back to os x install usb. From there i erased bootcamp partition to exfat.
I restarted again and boot from windows 8.1 usb from where i formed disk and started installation.

However on the install screen i got an 0X0000005 error at 0% of the installation again.

Please help, I'm getting desperate.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
So i made install osx usb (10.10.3), i booted on it and with disk utility i wiped out whole disk.

After i restored TM i made a bootcamp partition and restarted back to os x install usb. From there i erased bootcamp partition to exfat.
I restarted again and boot from windows 8.1 usb from where i formed disk and started installation.

However on the install screen i got an 0X0000005 error at 0% of the installation again.

Please help, I'm getting desperate.

You said you are going to use a dedicated drive (SSD).
Disconnect all others.
Boot from Windows DVD or USB
Install.
You need to format as NTFS when it gets to choosing target.
Prepare the drive with all free space, or FAT.
You are not using UEFI so MBR is fine but not GUID (GPT)

Windows does not like seeing other drives with GPT during install.

FAQ and manual in Boot Camp Assistant is... incomplete.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp use to have easy to follows PDF, FAQ, and tech articles, but not for Mac Pro setups like ours.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Since i do not care much about windows i let them rot until they refused to boot completely.

That's exactly the kind of attitude that got you into this trouble in the first place! Secondly always take REALLY GOOD CARE (give them a tight hug now-and-then) of all your OS's on your MP. Keep them all updated and DO make regular back-ups and/or clones. That will certainly save your bacon if needed, like this time. So it won't result in asking a search & rescue here on MR. :rolleyes:

I agree with @IowaLynn: BootCamp Assistent 5.1 ;)

Good Luck on your quest for a fresh Windows 8.1 installation, it can be a real PITA indeed!

BTW, your error code "0X0000005" could also be related to a hardware/media(from/to) problem. Please do check on them.

Cheers

Last edited:

ojanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Hey, thank you guys so much.

The problem was in a thunderbolt storage drive connected to MP while installing.
Once i unplugged that drive installation started immediately.

And yes m4v3r1ck, i wont make that mistake again. :)

So now for the second part, moving win 8.1 to a thunderbolt disk. :cool:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hey, thank you guys so much.

Glad we could help out!

The problem was in a thunderbolt storage drive connected to MP while installing. Once i unplugged that drive installation started immediately.

A Windows installer can be very picky at what (additional) hardware it's facing...

And yes m4v3r1ck, i wont make that mistake again. :)

No prob! :cool:

For Windows cloning I use Winclone. Very happy with it, it takes a while to create a clone but worth the time over a clean install of Windows and all apps etc..

So now for the second part, moving win 8.1 to a thunderbolt disk. :cool:

Good luck! Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.