Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabrielcik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Hi,

I would like to learn how to use mac os server, I own the leopard snow version of it.

I plan to install it on my old mac mini 1.2 customized with new cpu and ram.

I would like to use the server for file sharing only within my small lan. I have a router which give the DNS and ip to each computers.

I know it would be easier to use simple Leopard snow client and set sharing permission but i really would like to learn how to use a server by using it step by step.

Could u pls kindly suggest me a site or a book which explain how to config a server in a home enviroment... thx.

By the way, the mac mini is quite fast but I noticed big slowing down when i try to get access to the server preferences... the panel keep being gray for about a minute or more.

thx:)

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hi,

I would like to learn how to use mac os server, I own the leopard snow version of it.

I plan to install it on my old mac mini 1.2 customized with new cpu and ram.

I would like to use the server for file sharing only within my small lan. I have a router which give the DNS and ip to each computers.

I know it would be easier to use simple Leopard snow client and set sharing permission but i really would like to learn how to use a server by using it step by step.

Could u pls kindly suggest me a site or a book which explain how to config a server in a home enviroment... thx.

By the way, the mac mini is quite fast but I noticed big slowing down when i try to get access to the server preferences... the panel keep being gray for about a minute or more.

thx:)

I learned just by web searching "how to's". Lots of good tutorials out there on the interwebz. As for the sluggish response from Sys prefs, might be a good idea to kick your project off with a fresh reload. Back it up, format and reload the OS.

gabrielcik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Hi,

I solved the problem with open directory...

I noticed also the following:

running "sudo changeip -checkhostname" it invited me to change the Dns host name from .local to .lan.
I did it and it seems to work fine (even if I didn't understand why I had to change it).

The problem that now i face is the following:
In Server preferences - Users - services, I see all services grayed out with the exception of time machine.
Any idea how to fix it?

thx!

P.s.
I prefer to fix the problems without reinstall it, i believe it is more useful for to learn how it works.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Here are links to the 10.6 Server Getting Started and Advanced Administration guides. If you haven't read through them already I highly recommend them. I found them really useful, especially the Advanced Administration guide since a lot of the stuff in there applies to all versions of OS X server from 10.6 forward.

The first time I setup an OS X Server, I formatted it and re-set it up 3 times before I got it configured and working how I wanted. So if need be, don't be afraid to start over. Just make sure you've got a good backup :)

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1193/en_US/ServerAdmin_v10.6.pdf

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1171/en_US/Mac_OSX_Server_v10.6_Getting_Started.pdf

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Look at Todd Oltoff on YouTube and look at his 10.8 Server videos. He will walk you through setting up OS X 10.8 server.

Normally a great resource, however the OP's has 10.6 server (which is quite different than later ones) and Todd Oltoff only has videos going back to 10.7.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
The first time I setup an OS X Server, I formatted it and re-set it up 3 times before I got it configured and working how I wanted. So if need be, don't be afraid to start over. Just make sure you've got a good backup :)

This is advice is worth a lot of $$$$

As a beginner I used this several times to improve on my setup skill and understanding of what the heck was happening.

Mind you, since I set my server up over 5years I never had to go back. It just humms away. So my freshly learnt skill are now dusty-and-expired :)

Also, you will notice that 10.6 comes with mySQL so you can easily setup a mini-website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.