Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtatl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
I have a MBA 11" 2012 with the original 64 GB SSD that I bought about 2 years ago. I should have known better that that was not sufficient.

I went and bought the OWC SSD Aurora 240 GB to swap out the 64 GB. I installed it and it recognizes it but when I try to reinstall the OS X it took like 18 hours, but then took very long to boot and I never let it complete because it seemed to hang.

I contacted OWC and they told me the "Command R" and reinstall is done by Apple and didn't have anything to do with the SSD. I reformatted the drive and tried again but said the same thing.

So instead I went to my Time Machine via USB and restored which worked, I had to shut down the machine because it hung in the "restart" process but after it booted fairly quick.

To make a long story short. SOME applications work as expected but then on others it does a lot of beach balling especially when I do anything with the system preferences. It is just not performing like the original.

Is this normal for a 3rd party or is the a clear cut bad SSD or am I expecting too much? I paid $219 so it wasn't cheap.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is this normal for a 3rd party or is the a clear cut bad SSD or am I expecting too much? I paid $219 so it wasn't cheap.

Sounds like you have a bad drive there. I would get my money back and buy the Transcend as flowrider mentioned. OWC uses Sandforce controllers in their drives that seem to be problematic for a lot of users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.