Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AriGold

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I have a 2010 MBP that I am looking into updating.

Spec -

2010 MBP
2.66 C2D
4GB Ram
320 GB HD

I have a version of mavericks downloaded from a while ago but never installed as I wasnt sure on the process.

My questions are is it worth updating? And if so, to Mavericks or Yosemite?

If I were to update, what steps should I take before I do so other than a back up. Can I do a fresh install or just update via the app store?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I have a 2010 MBP that I am looking into updating.

Spec -

2010 MBP
2.66 C2D
4GB Ram
320 GB HD

I have a version of mavericks downloaded from a while ago but never installed as I wasnt sure on the process.

My questions are is it worth updating? And if so, to Mavericks or Yosemite?

If I were to update, what steps should I take before I do so other than a back up. Can I do a fresh install or just update via the app store?

First of all, you should install a SSD. Snow Leopard runs with acceptable performance with a HDD, but the SSD is mandatory on Mavericks and Yosemite. After the SSD upgrade (and cloning the HDD using carbon copy cloner app) do a backup and update straight to Yosemite, unless you use some specific app which can't go further than Mavericks.

Clean installs are nice, but I always perform upgrades and I'm fine. You'll want to disable the translucency on Yosemite, so the user interface is more fluid on less capable GPUs, but it's worth updating. Safari will become usable again :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.