Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I read some MacRumors article perhaps from a week ago that stated that YouTube is changing some API which will affect a bunch of devices and hence YouTube will no longer work on older devices such as the 2nd Gen Apple TV and iOS devices that are running like iOS 6 or 7.

I apologize if this sounds vague but truth is I hardly know what's going on; only that YouTube devices will stop working mid May 2015. I ask because I have a second and third gen Apple TV, and also multiple iPads, one running iOS 8 and the others running iOS 5 and even iOS 6, which I believe will stop working soon. (YouTube only) this sucks only cause YouTube is quite a heavily used app.

Edit: here's the link

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/20/youtube-older-apple-tv-discontinued/

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Could you not ask this question in the discussion of the news article?

Basically, the old apps use programming "hooks" that Google will stop supporting because they are very old. It happens, much more than you think. If the device won't get an updated YouTube app, it loses the ability to watch videos. It's kind of like moving video play to HTML5, if a browser doesn't support that standard it loses the app ability to play the videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.