Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiskyShenanigan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Hi, I currently a custom PC user looking to make a transition to Mac and wanted some advice on what Macbook I should buy.

I will be using it for Adobe CC for web designing, coding, browsing, streaming movies, light gaming (Hearthstone).

I will be hooking the Macbook up to an external monitor for work so screen size is not a major issue.

I was wondering if the specs of the new updated 13 " Macbooks will be sufficient for my use with that line being a dual core?

Also will the new Macbooks handle a hookup to a 1080p 37" television for Netflix?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Also will the new Macbooks handle a hookup to a 1080p 37" television for Netflix?
Any iPhone can do that.

----------

Hi, I currently a custom PC user looking to make a transition to Mac and wanted some advice on what Macbook I should buy.

I will be using it for Adobe CC for web designing, coding, browsing, streaming movies, light gaming (Hearthstone).

I will be hooking the Macbook up to an external monitor for work so screen size is not a major issue.

I was wondering if the specs of the new updated 13 " Macbooks will be sufficient for my use with that line being a dual core?
Yes

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

You certainly don't need a quad-core for web development and streaming movies. The only area where you might have a problem is light gaming, but for games like that it should be fine.

Of course. My 2008 MacBook Air can handle a 2560x1440 screen no problem.

Any iPhone can do that.

My iPhone 2G can do 1080p? Sure... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RiskyShenanigan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
What about for Adobe CC, is the dual core going to be an issue for design work in Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects?

Also is the integrated GPU sufficient or will I require a discrete one?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
My iPhone 2G can do 1080p? Sure... :rolleyes:
My original iPad does 720p. iPad2 does 1080p.
Any slightly newer iPad or iPhone does Netflix streaming to hdmi in 1080p.

----------

What about for Adobe CC, is the dual core going to be an issue for design work in Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects?

Also is the integrated GPU sufficient or will I require a discrete one?
If your main focus is on those apps, the 15" is definitely worth a consideration.
But the 13" will work, too.

RiskyShenanigan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
[/COLOR]If your main focus is on those apps, the 15" is definitely worth a consideration.
But the 13" will work, too.[/QUOTE]

Is this based on the 15" specs or screen size as I will be using a second monitor to use those specific apps?

Moshu

macrumors member
May 3, 2012
If you're on budget, 13" will do just fine.

If not, go 15" and don't look back.

I am also into web design - used to do it on a macbook Air and it was ok as long as you understood its limits.
Since I also run Windows in Parallels, the 15" macbook pro was the best choice for me as I split in half the processor cores and memory between OS X and Windows.

I run big databases with thousands of products, I process daily price feeds, upload new data sheets and photoshop-processed multimedia etc... all these take processing power and computing time, but I suspect your requirements are are not so high.

Therefore we come back to the budget ;-)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
[/COLOR]If your main focus is on those apps, the 15" is definitely worth a consideration.
But the 13" will work, too.

Is this based on the 15" specs or screen size as I will be using a second monitor to use those specific apps?[/QUOTE]The quadcore. But as the poster above me just stated, it depends strongly on what exactly you are doing in the CC.

RiskyShenanigan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Is this based on the 15" specs or screen size as I will be using a second monitor to use those specific apps?
The quadcore. But as the poster above me just stated, it depends strongly on what exactly you are doing in the CC.

I just found out that I can transfer my Adobe CS5.5 Web Premium bundle over to the Mac so it will be that version I will be using.

For Photoshop the usage will mainly be web designing, so nothing related to heavy image editing. Similar with Illustrator it will be related to web designing, however I am looking to get into illustration/digital painting with a Wacom, so I am not sure if that will require more of a quad core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.