Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Hi Everybody,

My boyfriend and I just got back from a trip to Nepal a few days before the earthquake hit. It is shocking to see beautiful temples and places that we had just visited now completely destroyed. I have put together a couple before & after shots of the UNESCO city of Bhaktapur (the ancient Nepalese capital), using shots that I took during the trip and photos from news websites. I think it shows how powerful a photograph can be.

Bhaktapur Before by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

Bhaktapur After by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The devastation is shocking. I was reading somewhere that Nepal is located in an area that experts were warning of a major earthquake. Looks like happened :(

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
This is really quite harrowing to see this.

It re-iterates how fragile we really are and to see this devastation and the effect it is now going to have on their economy is saddening.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Really sad whats happening out there. Yes it's far sadder that people have been lost as well as buildings, but I'm sure many who made their living from tourism will feel the effects for years to come.

And as a reminder to anybody that feels moved by this story, and are able, you can donate online in a variety of places. But here is pretty easy to do.

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/26/itunes-nepal-earthquake-relief/

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
So glad, Melissa, you guys made it out before this tragedy struck. The loss of ancient architecture pales in comparison to the loss and disruption of the people of Nepal. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.