Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Does anyone know of a program could be third party (free is always nice) that can do batch rotate of a large set of photos, 90 degrees left or right?

I can do this in preview and then charge the border orientation, works fine but cumbersome for many photos.

It CAN be done in iphoto (previous version I'm using) issues I find though is that I bring the photo into iphoto, say 4MB jpeg, select rotate (batching is possible) and then save it rotated and it's nearly 9MB, I don't really want to do this with all my photos, doubling their size.

I've checked the jpeg compression quality, and it's set to standard, not being updated.

thoughts for another simple program?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Does anyone know of a program could be third party (free is always nice) that can do batch rotate of a large set of photos, 90 degrees left or right?

I can do this in preview and then charge the border orientation, works fine but cumbersome for many photos.

It CAN be done in iphoto (previous version I'm using) issues I find though is that I bring the photo into iphoto, say 4MB jpeg, select rotate (batching is possible) and then save it rotated and it's nearly 9MB, I don't really want to do this with all my photos, doubling their size.

I've checked the jpeg compression quality, and it's set to standard, not being updated.

thoughts for another simple program?

Is it not possible to do this in LR? Select all images in need of rotate using cmd+click then rotate!

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
havent't tried it in LR yet, I'll try that tomorrow. there are a number of apps in the wintel space, I could always just take everything over to my VM and do it there, but shouldn't there be a decent option on the mac side?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Most photographers have an established workflow using Aperture (now in its last days) Lightroom, Capture One Pro, or other digital asset manager (DAM) that can easily rotate/flip images as part of the culling and editing workflow. So they would not likely need or want a standalone program for rotating/flipping images.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Also consider and apple script? For each file in folder, open in preview, rotate, save, move to next?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Using exiftool could do this I expect, although my only hesitation is how to do it in batch. Might require a bit more work.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
There's certainly no shortage of apps that will do what you want done. However, set to their default compression levels, I suspect you will continue to materially increase the file sizes.

I believe your camera is simply using a lot of compression. Just reduce iPhoto to it's lowest setting. If "standard", which does not exist in my version of iPhoto, is the lowest it will go, then perhaps look elsewhere.

My contribution would be download a trial copy of Graphic Converter. It has a very wide scale for JPEG compression settings and can do batch.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Also consider and apple script? For each file in folder, open in preview, rotate, save, move to next?

only problem with doing a script is that in preview at least there is ALSO some resizing required, so it's a tad more than just rotate, save.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
only problem with doing a script is that in preview at least there is ALSO some resizing required, so it's a tad more than just rotate, save.

But if resizing can be worked out then script can do that too. If sizing cant be worked out without eyeballing pictures then this is moot anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.