Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclunian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Who here thinks that Apple's next iPhones (coming later this year) will have 2GB of RAM instead of 1GB (that was found in last year's models)?

Also, who here thinks that Apple's A9 chip will have a Tri-Core CPU and Hexa- or Ocata-core GPU?

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
There's no way that it will NOT have 2GB of RAM. The iPad Air 2 has 2GB of RAM so it's natural to assume that the new iPhones will have 2GB of RAM. Now the question is whether or not the new A9 chip will be a tri-core chip like the A8X for the iPad Air 2.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There's no way that it will NOT have 2GB of RAM. The iPad Air 2 has 2GB of RAM so it's natural to assume that the new iPhones will have 2GB of RAM. Now the question is whether or not the new A9 chip will be a tri-core chip like the A8X for the iPad Air 2.

I'm thinking iPad Air 2 specs++.

maclunian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Do you think that both the 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch models will receive the 2GB?

maclunian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
I'm just hoping they aren't the major disappointment that last year's 6 and 6 Plus were. :(

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I'm just hoping it doesn't become something where the iPhone 6+ is flagship with beastly specs, and the iPhone 6 is afterthought with last years specs or just marginally bumped up specs. The way it is now is good. People should be paying for the screen size that they want (with a couple of MINOR little nice bonuses put in like OIS and landscape stuff) not paying for something they felt like they were dragged into because it's the only thing with the good specs.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Don't know but there is no way in hell I am buying an iPhone with 1GB.

If it's not 2GB (AT LEAST) I will skip Apple for another year.

I'd like to give Apple my money, but I'm not leaving my S6 for 1GB memory, and 8MP cameras. Apple will need to step up.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
I asked a couple of none techy folk with iPhone's how much memory does your phone have? answer what storage!!!! & the other haven't a clue, just goes to show really the none techy person couldn't care less how much memory in their iPhone just as long as it works that all they bothered about, only a very small percentage of iPhone users actually know what makes their iPhone tick.

So in the long run if the iPhone 6S was to come with still only 1GB of ram rather than 2GB it still sell in it's tens of millions while only a small small percentage would actually moan about it not having 2GB of ram.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
I asked a couple of none techy folk with iPhone's how much memory does your phone have? answer what storage!!!! & the other haven't a clue, just goes to show really the none techy person couldn't care less how much memory in their iPhone just as long as it works that all they bothered about, only a very small percentage of iPhone users actually know what makes their iPhone tick.

So in the long run if the iPhone 6S was to come with still only 1GB of ram rather than 2GB it still sell in it's tens of millions while only a small small percentage would actually moan about it not having 2GB of ram.
It doesnt matter if it has 1GB or 2GB, the problem is that apps are reloading. My friends also doesnt know well IT and etc. but they noticed that apps are reloading and it should be fixed.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Don't know but there is no way in hell I am buying an iPhone with 1GB.

If it's not 2GB (AT LEAST) I will skip Apple for another year.

I'd like to give Apple my money, but I'm not leaving my S6 for 1GB memory, and 8MP cameras. Apple will need to step up.
Why would you want a camera with more than 8mp?
The higher the resolution, the smaller the pixels, the worse the IQ.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I'm just hoping they aren't the major disappointment that last year's 6 and 6 Plus were. :(

Are we in the same world? The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus has helped  grow even more this year. Have you seen the numbers? How many iPhones were shipped in this past quarter? Disappointment isn't the proper word for the iPhone 6 and 6+...

Unless you are saying you were personally disappointed?? However to say the 6 and 6 + was a disappointment in other ways is the furthest thing from the truth....

Unless of course we live in different worlds...

----------

I must be living in a parallel universe; the iPhone 6 and 6+ have been HUGE in the universe I live in.

Thank you exactly my thinking as well

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Why would you want a camera with more than 8mp?
The higher the resolution, the smaller the pixels, the worse the IQ.

The S6 camera runs over iPhone 6 camera with a bulldozer. The softness and inconsistency of ithe Phone 6 camera was prevalent during my time of owbershop before it was returned.

I preferred the S5 and Note 4 camera as well.

----------

How much weight do you usually place in the opinions of the ignorant?

The answer is zero in my case. I will not buy any iPhones going forward with 1GB of RAM.

----------

I was pretty dissapointed in the iPhone 6 as well.

The half hearted specs and iOS 8 debacle left me cold and I stuck with my Galaxy S5.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The S6 camera runs over iPhone 6 camera with a bulldozer. The softness and inconsistency of ithe Phone 6 camera was prevalent during my time of owbershop before it was returned.

Because they increased the sensor size, while keeping the megpix count constant, hence increasing the size of the photosites, which in turn collect more photons at equal exposure times. This results in higher IQ, especially in low light.
If they increase the megpix count, photosite size while decrease accordingly, and affect IQ negatively. In fact :apple: should do the smart thing and decrease megpix count.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

----------

How much weight do you usually place in the opinions of the ignorant?

The answer is zero in my case. I will not buy any iPhones going forward with 1GB of RAM.

----------

I was pretty dissapointed in the iPhone 6 as well.

The half hearted specs and iOS 8 debacle left me cold and I stuck with my Galaxy S5.

If you are so hungry for specs and you honestly feel the Galaxy phones are better then why even concern yourself with iPhones?

If history has shown us anything its that iPhones (and most Apple hardware) won't have the raw technical specs the competition has and you'll enviably be disappointed. Been this way for 30 years since some of Apples first computers. I can't imagine the total lack of tech knowledge someone must have to feel otherwise.

They sell an experience. And if you (or anyone) feels that experience is lacking then its the not product for you.

EDIT: I don't mean that as a rub against you or anyone else. Just as a general observation of their products.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
If you are so hungry for specs and you honestly feel the Galaxy phones are better then why even concern yourself with iPhones?

If history has shown us anything its that iPhones (and most Apple hardware) won't have the raw technical specs the competition has and you'll enviably be disappointed. Been this way for 30 years since some of Apples first computers. I can't imagine the total lack of tech knowledge someone must have to feel otherwise.

They sell an experience. And if you (or anyone) feels that experience is lacking then its the not product for you.

EDIT: I don't mean that as a rub against you or anyone else. Just as a general observation of their products.

I agree to a certain extent but as iOS advances, it further exposes the bottleneck of the iPhone's performance (RAM). At some point, Apple needs to increase this to allow it to evolve. We've been on 1GB for 3 years now and I think they've milked all they could with their coding to provide a smooth user experience but something's gotta give.

It's not at all a spec war; Apple putting 2GB will be seen as playing catch up since Android phones are typically pushing 3-4GB now. Apple does more with less, we all know this but they still need to increase hardware specs at some point to allow the software to grow.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I agree to a certain extent but as iOS advances, it further exposes the bottleneck of the iPhone's performance (RAM). At some point, Apple needs to increase this to allow it to evolve. We've been on 1GB for 3 years now and I think they've milked all they could with their coding to provide a smooth user experience but something's gotta give.

It's not at all a spec war; Apple putting 2GB will be seen as playing catch up since Android phones are typically pushing 3-4GB now. Apple does more with less, we all know this but they still need to increase hardware specs at some point to allow the software to grow.

Dont misunderstand me, I completely agree with you. I've always thought it would be nice if certain devices had more/better hardware.

My point was this is nothing new for Apple and waiting for Apple to catch up to the competition on a spec level will leave the person waiting indefinitely.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

I am a consumer of Apple products, and if I find them lacking, under specced, and half baked, I have just as much say as a fanboy.

Nothing but accolades or banishment is a disservice to the community.

As it stands currently, I'm speaking with my dollars and not buying iPhones (or buying but not keeping) until Apple decides to start making iPhones that are worth a damn again.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I am a consumer of Apple products, and if I find them lacking, under specced, and half baked, I have just as much say as a fanboy.

Nothing but accolades or banishment is a disservice to the community.

As it stands currently, I'm speaking with my dollars and not buying iPhones (or buying but not keeping) until Apple decides to start making iPhones that are worth a damn again.

I most definitely understand what you're saying. However had the ios8 debacle not happened and they would have included 2GB of RAM the iPhone 6 probably would have beaten the S6 In most benchmarks. It already beats it in some Benchmarks as it is.

I realize this didn't happen and I too was a bit disappointed in the iPhones specs, but iOS has always ran more fluid than Android to me. Although iOS 8 had a TON OF BUGS. ... I do have faith that  will release a much better device come September.

Personally, I believe they need to stop with the tick-tock release cycles

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.