Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superiska123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Hello,
I have finally decided to ditch Android and WP and get a used iPhone. Now, my question is, should I get a 16GB iPhone 5s or a 64GB iPhone 5? They are about the same price, and I know that the 5s is superior in terms of specs. But I am not quite sure which one to get... What do you think?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Well in terms of longevity the 5s is FAR more superior. But in terms of storage the 5 64gb will get you on that. So the thing to think about is really how much music and movies do you want to store on your phone and what kind of longevity do you want. If it were me I might try to look into getting a 32gb used 5s just a thought.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Hello,
I have finally decided to ditch Android and WP and get a used iPhone. Now, my question is, should I get a 16GB iPhone 5s or a 64GB iPhone 5? They are about the same price, and I know that the 5s is superior in terms of specs. But I am not quite sure which one to get... What do you think?

Wait 4 months and get the 6s, it should be a huge step forward! If your choice is really confined to those two, get the 5s (better and faster chip, better camera, Touch ID, motion chip, slow-motion, better battery life, better connectivity, dual-tone flash, better display).

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I love the 5s (the 5 had an on /off switch that started not working well and also the 5s can pick up Verizon signal on xLTE).

For the 16GB I need to use some kind of reliable sharing service so that I can get the photos/videos music off my phone; otherwise 16GB is too small.

I have been using pogoplug device as it just uploads them to that device in my home and I don't need to pay for cloud. Also I can upload recordings made in third party apps. Others use iCloud, box, dropbox, and I think if you are an office 365 subscriber, you get a bunch of space free and an app that will auto upload.

There is also a Hootoo router device (under $30) which lets me plug in a generic flash drive with large files (movies etc) on it. The hootoo will broadcast them to the phone/ipad. This helped me save $150 and let me go with the 16GB iPad Air 2 (that and ms office 365)

superiska123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Thanks for the replies so far... The thing is, I really want a 4-inch iPhone, and i highly doubt that the 6s will have such a small screen... As for the 32 gigs idea, I think that would be the best solution if i find a good deal...
But, do you think 16GB is enough?

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Thanks for the replies so far... The thing is, I really want a 4-inch iPhone, and i highly doubt that the 6s will have such a small screen... As for the 32 gigs idea, I think that would be the best solution if i find a good deal...
But, do you think 16GB is enough?

It depends on your habits. 16GB can be enough for someone. For me, it's not enough. I need at least the 32GB model.

jbarsh

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
Ann Arbor
Why not get the 6 when the 6s comes out?

The 6 price will drop substantially in September when the 6s comes out. Plus the 5 may not support iOS 9 when it comes out in the fall.

superiska123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
The 6 price will drop substantially in September when the 6s comes out. Plus the 5 may not support iOS 9 when it comes out in the fall.

Hm... Ill think about that, but do you honestly think that they will cut off iPhone 4s and 5 at the same time?

jbarsh

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
Ann Arbor
Hm... Ill think about that, but do you honestly think that they will cut off iPhone 4s and 5 at the same time?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you should try to stay ahead of two year curve either way. Technology moves so fast now that even if the 5 supports iOS 9 it will run poorly on the device.

superiska123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Well, thanks to everyone here, this forum is just amazing, your replies were great and very quick :)
I think I will get the 5s, and I will try and get the 32GB version. If I don't I guess 16GB will have to do ;)

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Well, thanks to everyone here, this forum is just amazing, your replies were great and very quick :)
I think I will get the 5s, and I will try and get the 32GB version. If I don't I guess 16GB will have to do ;)

Good decision. Let us know if you like it :)

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I'm a huge fan of the 5s, and mine is a 16G and it is fine for me. However, just depends on the user. For example, I only have a little over 300 photos and around 220 songs stored on mine. I do not have games loaded on mine. I currently have a little over 7G of free space. So, for me it is more than adequate, but others will struggle with it. Looking forward to hearing which you purchase and how it goes for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.